Why do we hate Origin?

I don't mind it at all and am currently using it as I finally play through DA2. My biggest gripe is that I'd prefer to just have 'one client to rule them all', I've got a smattering of friends list for each client installed on my PC (Steam, Xbox Live, Origin, Uplay, GOG Galaxy). It'd be cool if someone created a software platform that combined them all into one client - similar to what Trillian did for a bunch of IM programs.

If somebody knows of a program like that that exists - let me know.

As for EA themselves, my biggest issue with them is not releasing more of their sports titles for PC. I want to get my Madden or NHL on - not play a pansy digital sport like soccer.

I disliked Origin a lot more back in the day. I was bitter for a long time that I was forced to get it to buy Battlefield 3. By then, my Steam library was pretty big, and contained every game I played. Having to have another piece of software for one game really rubbed me wrong. As time went on, and more EA games came out that I viewed as essential, I lightened up a bit on Origin. I won't discriminate against a game because it's an Origin title, but I sure as hell would never buy a game on Origin that didn't require it. If I could, I would still prefer to have EA's games via Steam. I'd even pay more for it.

At least with uPlay, you can still buy those games on Steam, and even though you have to have the software on your computer, you don't have to use it as a launcher. If it's running in the background, you can launch your game via Steam and not have to interact with uPlay in any way... better than nothing.

I have no issues with Origin. It's straight-forward, easy to use, and reliable. I despise the Windows Store (cannot get Forza Horizon 3 or Forza 6 Apex to download and install for the life of me) and not overly fond of Unity.

I like Origin better than Steam. I think the Steam interface is dated as fuck. I've had tons of trouble getting the Steam service to install since Windows 7. I don't care for how it handles DLC compared to Origin either. Steam is nicer when you want to just relocate it to another drive than Origin is but I don't do that very often.
I agree. The shell of Steam is still based on the original client released in 2003. Origin is a modern client with all features integrated into the client itself, so no need to load the store in a web client. The UI is clean and easy to use, and the game library is the best out of any client out there right now in my opinion (GOG is getting there, though). Origin is a fine game platform today, but I do understand the disdain for not having all your games under one umbrella.

I do like Big Picture mode in Steam, though. I think they really hit that out of the ballpark for PC gaming on the couch.

Yeah, I like Origin better than Steam from a visual and usability aspect too. I hate how if you're looking at a multipage list of games in Steam (say browsing a category) it will just randomly change the order so if you're on page 2 and go to page 3 then back to page 2 only like half of the games that were originally on the page show up with the rest being random. I also hate how Steam no longer gives you the option to immediately install a game that you enter a key for; it used to be a checkbox in the last window after you entered the serial key but now you have to find/search for the game from the list of 400+ games.

Steam really needs an update but then I'd probably complain about the changes too.

I haven't experienced any issues running Origin, uPlay, Steam or any other delivery platform side by side on my computer. One feature that I like about Origin is their download speeds are much faster than Steam or uPlay. 1.25GB in less than 15 seconds vs Steam download of 1.25GB in an hour.

I guess we all have a different view on what we like in a UI. I cannot stand Origins setup. I would like to be able to get basic information about a game I own and dlc without having to click on each tab und the icon. With Steams detail mode you just have to on a game to get all the latest news and what dlc you have installed for the game. The next thing I hate is the games that are now started through your web browser. I am not sure who from EA or Dice that thought of that, but I have stopped buying games that start that way.

I guess we all have a different view on what we like in a UI. I cannot stand Origins setup. I would like to be able to get basic information about a game I own and dlc without having to click on each tab und the icon. With Steams detail mode you just have to on a game to get all the latest news and what dlc you have installed for the game. The next thing I hate is the games that are now started through your web browser. I am not sure who from EA or Dice that thought of that, but I have stopped buying games that start that way.
As far as I know Battlefield was the only game series to launch through a web browser and they got rid of it with Battlefield 1.

I don't "hate" them but will probably not open another count with them. I've had three seperate accounts and all were hacked, each time by someone guessing my email addy and then resetting the password. Thier support acknowledges this fact and pretty much said "tough titty"

Who is "we" and do "we" hate it? I like it better than Steam as well. Cleaner, no bloat, no annoying ads. It just works and does it's job.

I had major issues with Origin and Dead Space 3 when trying to play through it with a friend. Weird shit with the overlay fucking up and preventing certain in-game things from working.

No such issues with Steam.

Plus EA kind of sucks in general.

Back