Why do they make PC laptops look like Macbooks?

hedron

Limp Gawd
Why? No, seriously why? If I wanted a Macbook I'd get a Macbook. Does anyone really want a PC laptop that looks like a Macbook? I know I don't. They wind up looking like cheap knock-offs.

Because Apple makes a lot of money on their designs. The other manufacturers think by copying design elements, they'll also sell more laptops.

Because Apple makes a lot of money on their designs. The other manufacturers think by copying design elements, they'll also sell more laptops.

And they're probably right. I concede very little to Apple but their designs are visually appealing even to me. I may prefer machines with better ventilation, a removable battery, and relatively easy access to upgrade points but that's the perspective of someone learned in laptop maintenance. On the other hand, the general public doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground and they like what they see when they look at Apple gear. Other manufacturers would be foolish at best if they were to dismiss that.

I bought my wife this machine and there's no denying that elements of it align with Apple designs. You know what, though? I'm fine with that. It looks very nice, but it's also got good ventilation, a removable battery, and cost less than half the price of the comparable Macbook while performing as well as or better than the Apple product. :D

apple design looks, basic, clean and unintimidating. most folks don't want flashy and glossy, and the stainless steel design looks really good.

Can you get a newer macbook pro (custom) painted anywhere? More default color options would be nice however.

If possible I'd consider getting one, get it painted, then dual boot into Windows.

There were several models from Sony and Toshiba years ago that influenced what Apple now does with MacBook products. Apple did not create the concept or the look themselves, just kinda borrowed it from those that came before. Hell, I still have a working Toshiba Portege 3010 that was barely 3/4" closed, chassis made of magnesium top to bottom, and incredibly small for it's time (1999), long before anybody else except Sony decided to start making stuff "small."

Still works, still has no issues, runs Windows 2000 great even considering the age and the hardware that it's made of, and I do actually break it out from time to time and fire it up. Amazing...

For the same reason that Samsung has copied a few aspects of Apple's phone and tablet design over the past few years: it's the hope that someone's original success will rub off.

I will say that attempts to clone MacBooks have been useful for HP: the company has finally decided that good build quality isn't reserved for business users. I never quite get why so many Windows PC OEMs "punish" home users with flimsy designs, and save the best for business users who might not even care.

Because as far as notebooks go Apple has the most appealing design, best touch pad, and one of the best screens on the market.

I hated Apple until I actually used one of their notebooks for longer than 5 minutes.

The internals is well put together also. I enjoy upgrading or fixing them. They are put together well and nothing seems cheap or badly designed. Most other laptops I open look a cluttered mess and cheap plastic parts.

This is the reason, there is no other.

Apple gets a lot of Business because their products look sexy (this was the real genius of Steve Jobs). And as Madonna famously said ''sex sells''.

Because Macbooks look good?

x2

They're also a lot more durable in most cases. I'm glad that laptop manufacturers are starting to use premium materials in laptops. Machined aluminum and carbon fiber feels much nicer (and more rigid) than cheap molded plastic.

x2

They're also a lot more durable in most cases. I'm glad that laptop manufacturers are starting to use premium materials in laptops. Machined aluminum and carbon fiber feels much nicer (and more rigid) than cheap molded plastic.

Pretty much this.

They are aesthetically pleasing and well made (for the most part, barring inability to repair/upgrade on newer models). The only way you are getting that kind of quality outside a mbp or mbair is going business class with Dell/Lenovo/HP.

The general public just doesn't have the knowledge or access to go that route; and even if they did, they are seduced by the look. I have a Lenovo x230t and love it. It is a light weight tank, well built, and has great battery life. Unfortunately, general public is not going to like it, because it is kind of ugly/plain. Power users aren't going to care about the look, but most people see form over function, or at least form with function.

That is not to say that the mbp and mbair are not functional; they are highly functional devices. I will most likely be getting a mbp when they update them with haswell. Great overall machines. I am just disappointed in the lack of upgradability/repairability, but that seems to be the direction everything is going as more focus is placed on the typical consumer vs. IT pros/devs/etc.

The only PC laptop I've ever seen that looked close to a MacBook was the HP Envy. From what I understand, the Envy suffers from dreadful battery life and chronic overheating.

I wish more PC laptops adopted the MacBook appearance. I'm getting a retina MBP when the Haswell models are out, but would consider a PC laptop if it had the appearance/build quality of a MacBook.

I like the simple rugged look of a Thinkpad. Apple laptops are too fem, IMO. I didn't realize anyone outside the "Starbucks crowd" liked them. But, the PC laptops just look like cheap knock-offs, I'm not really talking about the MacBooks themselves. I have no idea how people tolerate using Apples OS, much less all the restrictions placed on the user as well the fact that Apple forces you to update hardware to get the latest software.

Anyway, I was just on newegg and the laptop (Gigabyte something or other) I wanted looked just like a Macbook, so I'm not going to get it.

I like the simple rugged look of a Thinkpad. Apple laptops are too fem, IMO. I didn't realize anyone outside the "Starbucks crowd" liked them. But, the PC laptops just look like cheap knock-offs, I'm not really talking about the MacBooks themselves. I have no idea how people tolerate using Apples OS, much less all the restrictions placed on the user as well the fact that Apple forces you to update hardware to get the latest software.

Anyway, I was just on newegg and the laptop (Gigabyte something or other) I wanted looked just like a Macbook, so I'm not going to get it.

"Too fem?" Apart from that being sexist (female = bad), that does't even make sense when you try to apply gender stereotypes. They're all colored a neutral silver and have function-driven bodies. If you could assign gender to computers, MacBooks would be androgynous.

Also, speaking of stereotypes, it sounds like you've purposefully sheltered yourself from the real Mac experience and have only preconceptions to go on. You do know that OS X is based on FreeBSD and has a Unix command-line terminal, right? That you're allowed to install any software you want? That the latest version of OS X supports Macs going as far back as 2007?

While I'm generally fine with Windows, there's also a certain irony to talking about 'forced' upgrades when Windows 8 is designed primarily for touchscreens... and most people would have to buy a new PC to get one.

I like the simple rugged look of a Thinkpad. Apple laptops are too fem, IMO.

Meanwhile in the Microsoft camp...

fffw5spt.jpg

Good for you. I don't see why you're surprised though.

ps: Sorry my phone camera sucks.

"Too fem?" Apart from that being sexist (female = bad),
Oh please, not this PC bs here. I didn't say female, much less female being bad. I said "fem." As in, short for effeminate. Use a dictionary if you can't see what I'm saying.

that does't even make sense when you try to apply gender stereotypes

It's not a "gender" stereotype. Humans do not have genders. We have a sex which we are born with. Words have gender. As in, amiga/amigo.

They're all colored a neutral silver and have function-driven bodies. If you could assign gender to computers, MacBooks would be androgynous.

Nah... it's fem. Apples markets their products to less than tech savvy people. Women tend to be less tech savvy (and shopping happy, which is good for Apple revs) because their brains are constructed differently. I can see why it works for them, but it doesn't work for me. I have no problems with Apple and Macs, I just choose to use other products because I like them better.

Also, speaking of stereotypes, it sounds like you've purposefully sheltered yourself from the real Mac experience and have only preconceptions to go on. You do know that OS X is based on FreeBSD and has a Unix command-line terminal, right? That you're allowed to install any software you want? That the latest version of OS X supports Macs going as far back as 2007?

I've used Macs since the 128. I know all about all the Macs and the only thing I've ever liked about Macs was Dark Castle.

While I'm generally fine with Windows, there's also a certain irony to talking about 'forced' upgrades when Windows 8 is designed primarily for touchscreens... and most people would have to buy a new PC to get one.

Well, Win8 is the "Edsel" of OS'. I like the fact they got rid of the start menu. It was way too small, awkward and it's just plain outdated. I do not like what they replaced it with.

Apple does force you to upgrade hardware to update software. If you have an older version of Mac you cannot use the latest versions of most software. I didn't believe my aunt when she said she couldn't install the latest flash player on her Mac until I actually attempted to do it.

Because as far as notebooks go Apple has the most appealing design, best touch pad, and one of the best screens on the market.

I hated Apple until I actually used one of their notebooks for longer than 5 minutes.

I hated apple too before I had to start using it for work. Now I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Most Apple haters are just ignorants. I wouldn't even dream using a Windows laptop anymore. OSX and Linux FTW!

Most Apple haters are just ignorants. I wouldn't even dream using a Windows laptop anymore. OSX and Linux FTW!

I get it, you wouldn't dream of using a Windows laptop, but anyone who wouldn't dream of use an Apple product is a hater.:rolleyes:

BTW, most of us use Windows laptops because there isn't a real alternative ... like it or not, the majority of software doesn't exist on OSX or Linux.

Simply put, it is easier to copy others success, than to make your own.

It looks snazzy. So, they copy it.

The internals is well put together also. I enjoy upgrading or fixing them. They are put together well and nothing seems cheap or badly designed. Most other laptops I open look a cluttered mess and cheap plastic parts.

You cant fix apple laptops..everything is soldered into them, hardd rive is about it and now the new lines are using soldered in SSD / Memory drives. I also found apple laptops were the hardest to get open with out breaking some latch or something else cause they did not want you to open it in years past.

The hardware in most apple devices is the same as any other, it all comes from foxconn in the end or another huge OEM.

Apple makes it look pretty on the outside.

Simply put, it is easier to copy others success, than to make your own.

It looks snazzy. So, they copy it.

Exactly what apple has done from the start, no company is clean of this, every company has copied other companies before them or absorbed them, they all do it, in the end no one is really "original" and those who do create don't get the direct credt.

Apple knows how to package things and get people to buy them, Jobs was a marketing genius whether we liked it or not.

Oh please, not this PC bs here. I didn't say female, much less female being bad. I said "fem." As in, short for effeminate. Use a dictionary if you can't see what I'm saying.

It's not a "gender" stereotype. Humans do not have genders. We have a sex which we are born with. Words have gender. As in, amiga/amigo.

Nah... it's fem. Apples markets their products to less than tech savvy people. Women tend to be less tech savvy (and shopping happy, which is good for Apple revs) because their brains are constructed differently. I can see why it works for them, but it doesn't work for me. I have no problems with Apple and Macs, I just choose to use other products because I like them better.

I'm sorry, but you just proved that you're being thoroughly misogynist. This isn't political correctness, this called treating women with some damn respect.

You know what "effeminate" means? It refers to something possessing feminine traits, and is most often used as a derogatory term that labels something as too soft or weak. If that's not what you meant, then you should have understood the actual context of the word before using it.

Also, are you aware of what you just claimed? You argued that women are naturally less intelligent than men and love shopping, allegedly because their "brains are constructed differently." How is that not sexist?

I want to bring this back on topic, but it's difficult to take your opinion of Macs seriously when you brand everyone who uses one as effeminate -- which, to you, means they're inferior. Just as there are many women who are intelligent and hate shopping (I know quite a few), there are many Mac owners who are power users. The sooner you acknowledge that stereotyping is bad and that the world is full of nuance and complexity, the sooner we can move on to the core subject.

Last edited:
Because Macbook do many ads, many picture and vedio in the life, people rememer it or like it, even if not every one will buy it, but many people will preper similar shape with Macbook when they buy other things.:D

Back