Why Do Some Games Take Up So Much Storage Space?

Didn't read the article, did you?
I did. Titanfall is an outlier, almost no games have all audio uncompressed like this. Skyrim even went the other direction by compressing it too much on the remastered copy. Yes, some developers don't give a shit, but many at least have a clue. If you look at the AVERAGE install, it's getting bigger and bigger because the texture detail increases quadratically along with graphics fidelity. So, all things being equal, textures are still are the biggest offending culprit overall. Unless you're implying companies were never sloppy with install sizes in the past, but only are now.

AT&T U-Verse did something similar last year. It was something like 250GB soft limit (but no one ever got called out unless they were repeat or gross offenders). They upped to 600GB. And then like 4 months later upped it to 1TB a month. We have been streaming for exclusively 5 years now and I have never received a warning of any kind. I even had to upgraded my Netflix account this year because we were hitting the number of streaming limits at the same time in our house. We can have 3-4 netflix streams going at the same time.

Wait until you do extensive 4k content streaming from Netflix. 10-12GB+ an hr (per stream) is what I saw. Between Twitch/Youtube/4k Netflix I am regularly seeing over 1 TB usage in my household. I'm lucky to have Google Fiber but I can see these 1 TB caps becoming increasingly problematic going forward.

Wait until you do extensive 4k content streaming from Netflix. 10-12GB+ an hr (per stream) is what I saw. Between Twitch/Youtube/4k Netflix I am regularly seeing over 1 TB usage in my household. I'm lucky to have Google Fiber but I can see these 1 TB caps becoming increasingly problematic going forward.

Certainly an issue. Need to crack 4K UHD discs.

I recall reading on this very site not a month ago about how Microsoft was changing how games were going to be downloaded in the coming future with the release of the new XBox, they would bundle the textures and audio separately so that the default audio downloaded was matched to your regional language and it would install the textures appropriate to your machine, with the other languages or textures available as an option. I am not a console gamer but I was thinking at the time well that just makes sense, I didn't realize shit on those consoles was so out of hand.

EDIT: I found one of the articles - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...down-install-sizes-and-reduces-download-times

I recall reading on this very site not a month ago about how Microsoft was changing how games were going to be downloaded in the coming future with the release of the new XBox, they would bundle the textures and audio separately so that the default audio downloaded was matched to your regional language and it would install the textures appropriate to your machine, with the other languages or textures available as an option. I am not a console gamer but I was thinking at the time well that just makes sense, I didn't realize shit on those consoles was so out of hand.

EDIT: I found one of the articles - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...down-install-sizes-and-reduces-download-times

Which new Xbox? The current new Xbox, a new Xbox or a new new Xbox like the New 3DS?

Back