why do people want the ms surface more than the ipad?

Causal games can, 3D shooters not so much.

There is no Metro Office but there is a Metro version of OneNote and you're correct, it's not nearly its desktop counterpart. Fortunately OneNote 2013 received a lot of touch enhancements, perhaps more than any of the other applications in Office 2013.

We were playing with Outlook. And it adhered to the same resizing rules as Metro Apps. The 1, or 2 or fullscreen (which is technically 3)

I would love a windows tablet but the price is a killer....

Then do what I personally and professionally have seen a lot of people already do.

Go buy a cheap Android tablet and then return it 2 weeks later, because it's too slow/unresponsive, and get an iPad and actually be happy.

Then do what I personally and professionally have seen a lot of people already do.

Go buy a cheap Android tablet and then return it 2 weeks later, because it's too slow/unresponsive, and get an iPad and actually be happy.

See, I don't get it. I have an old Motorola Xoom that I've been using for general internet browsing and light gaming during commercials on the couch since it came out. At no point did I say "wow, this thing is slow!". For what (I'd guess) 90% of consumers do with a tablet anything out there is fast enough to do the job. I personally haven't seen a tablet since the original iPad that wasn't fast enough for what most people do with them. Yes, there will always be people out on the edge that need the more aggressive chipsets but, frankly, that isn't most people. Most people using the latest and greatest tablet/phone are playing angry birds and checking email ... taxing maybe 10% of the power at their fingertips.

See, I don't get it. I have an old Motorola Xoom that I've been using for general internet browsing and light gaming during commercials on the couch since it came out. At no point did I say "wow, this thing is slow!". For what (I'd guess) 90% of consumers do with a tablet anything out there is fast enough to do the job. I personally haven't seen a tablet since the original iPad that wasn't fast enough for what most people do with them. Yes, there will always be people out on the edge that need the more aggressive chipsets but, frankly, that isn't most people. Most people using the latest and greatest tablet/phone are playing angry birds and checking email ... taxing maybe 10% of the power at their fingertips.

Probably a mixture of the device not necessarily being slow, but not doing what people want to do, the way they want to do and that fact that most people are buying a 200 dollar Android tablet which is not a 600 dollar iPad.

There's also a few other small subtleties that will probably allow the iPad to be the "best perceived" general purpose consumer driven tablet.

People actually want the Surface over an iPad?

Lol, no. Most "people" don't even know that a product called the "Surface" exists, and if it did what it actually is. :)

That's sort of what the last 2 -3 pages of this thread has been about.

im going to buy the surface if it jumps to APU/haswell. my friend owns the pro right now and its awesome. id just like alittle bit more graphical power. Im willing to wait a year for it.

Probably a mixture of the device not necessarily being slow, but not doing what people want to do, the way they want to do and that fact that most people are buying a 200 dollar Android tablet which is not a 600 dollar iPad.

There's also a few other small subtleties that will probably allow the iPad to be the "best perceived" general purpose consumer driven tablet.

I'm shocked people actually buy non-Apple tablets at all when you see how they're setup in stores. The iPad's are under a halo of light, constantly cleaned, and the workers constantly reset the things back to a nice clean look from what people have done with them (moving/deleting icons). The Android/Windows tablets are shunted into the dark aisle, full of dirt and fingerprints, home screen icons are a mess, and barely half of them are even operational on the stores Wifi. At least, that is true where I am.

I'm shocked people actually buy non-Apple tablets at all when you see how they're setup in stores. The iPad's are under a halo of light, constantly cleaned, and the workers constantly reset the things back to a nice clean look from what people have done with them (moving/deleting icons). The Android/Windows tablets are shunted into the dark aisle, full of dirt and fingerprints, home screen icons are a mess, and barely half of them are even operational on the stores Wifi. At least, that is true where I am.

Not sure where you're shopping at. I think the only people who have the iPad put on a pedestal is Wal-Mart.

At Best Buy / Office Depot, TigerDirect store offshoots, Frys more or less give them all fairly equal advertising space. I don't remember what B&H did for theirs. Honestly I usually thought the iPad was under advertised. 2 iPads and 12+ various Android tablets.

Which is probably their mistake in the choosing. You now have to fight your dollar/wallet? Do i get the 300 dollar Android tablet or the 170 dollar android tablet or the 600 dollar android tablet. or the 550. Is this one as good as that one? What are the differences?

The iPad is simple - you want the big one or the small one. They ask you if you want Wifi and how big of a hard drive. Checkout

The high rate of returns on Android is probably one part the above, and 3 parts OS/Middle Tier layer (which happens to be the OS) arena.

Because I can connect a thumb drive/hd up to a surface? The ipad is far too proprietary for me.

Reason I wanted it/bought it....its actually a content creation device, not just consumption.

iPad is way too damn limiting. (and I own one)

I've been a windows/android user for the longest. I finally got the Ipad and it works just great. The battery life is good, and everything just seems to flow more smoothly.

I had one for about a week before I sold it. It was just very stiff and inflexible towards installing and running anything.

every one have their own choice :p well i think ms-surface is has effective technology than ipad.

I have an Ipad 3 and Motorola Xoom. I want the windows pro tablet, but mostly for programming and running native applications. I bought the xoom because I the time I was an android fanboy and refuesed to go apple. Bought the ipad because quite simply, its a better app experience than android.

Disclaimer:
( I still use android for my personal phone and it is to me the better mobile platform. I have used windows phone 6, 7,8; iphone 4,4s,5; and an unknown multitude of android phones; as well as the blackberry z10) My personal phone is a razr maxx hd employee edition ( I work for Verizon)

I am going back to school for electrical engineering and it would be cool to be able to program an arduino directly from my tablet( without an assortment of cables) . Also, having access to different programming environments on the fly would be helpful. It is a pain to get stuff to compile on the other platforms. In addition, having office and Onenote on my tablet would be awesome. It would be easier to carry to class without the need for an external keyboard, but if I needed one, I could use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse setup at the house.

Ive played with the RT model where I work and it feels nice and the screen is great. Metro(/modern) is by far an awesome OS for a tablet. I hate it on desktop but for a tablet its perfect.

The answer is MS office, none of the normal people need or understand anything else.

As someone who has used the 3 main tablet OSes out there I think MS nailed the interface, being able to swipe through programs fast makes way more sense then what apple does, which is nothing and android which varies by implementation.

But lets be real no normal people think about this stuff all they know is can it run office..

Back