Why do I see kepler reviews where the core voltage slider is maxed?

Sojuuk

2[H]4U
I ask because every time I have ever adjusted that slider it has resulted in lower actual voltage and worse overclocks.

Unless they're using a MSI power edition/lightning it really is a bad idea to even touch that.

As you stated, the slider does nothing for any card except the Lightning and PE, but it doesn't hurt anything either for other cards, it just doesn't do anything. Its certainly not going lower voltage and make worse overclocks. Bottom line, the slider does NOTHING for a standard kepler card, only the Lighting and PE.

As you stated, the slider does nothing for any card except the Lightning and PE, but it doesn't hurt anything either for other cards, it just doesn't do anything. Its certainly not going lower voltage and make worse overclocks. Bottom line, the slider does NOTHING for a standard kepler card, only the Lighting and PE.

Whenever I adjust the voltage slider in MSI the voltages do drop. Have owned 5 different kepler cards and all of them behaved this way.

Changing the slider will increase voltages below the max (so instead of idling at 0.99V it'll idle at 1.09V) but it doesn't seem to work correctly. It'll increase the voltage when you first change the slider, but then after a while it'll drop down to the real idle voltage anyway. Then if you put a load on the card, when it drops back to idle it'll drop to the adjust voltage briefly, then drop back down tot eh full idle voltage again. So it's doing something, but I don't know what. Maybe it only affects voltage in 3D mode or something.

Last edited:
Whenever I adjust the voltage slider in MSI the voltages do drop. Have owned 5 different kepler cards and all of them behaved this way.

I have two Gigabyte GTX 670's and neither one of them are affected at all when the voltage slider is moved upwards or downwards.

In afterburner, the voltage slider does nothing good. Overclocking via evga precision or nvidia inspector, you should move the voltage slider to max, it caps the voltage at 1.175 on load. Helps my reference cards maintain a little higher core speed compared to auto voltage.

In afterburner, the voltage slider does nothing good. Overclocking via evga precision or nvidia inspector, you should move the voltage slider to max, it caps the voltage at 1.175 on load. Helps my reference cards maintain a little higher core speed compared to auto voltage.

The voltage is capped at 1.175 whether you move the slider or not. And Afterburner and Precision are just different front-ends, they both have the same functionality.

The voltage is capped at 1.175 whether you move the slider or not. And Afterburner and Precision are just different front-ends, they both have the same functionality.

You misunderstood me, or i explained it wrong. Either way, precision or inspector doesnt drop the voltage from 1.175 at any point. Afterburner cant hold on to that 1.175v, after 60/70c it drops voltage to 1.162 and so on. Precision does not.

edit: example. my cards are both running ~1250/1750. If i use afterburner, after 70c(or60, cant remember) the voltage drops from 1.175 to 1.162 and crashes drivers due to that. Precision voltage slider at 1.175 does not drop voltage when exceeding 70c and my cards stay stable.

Last edited:
You misunderstood me, or i explained it wrong. Either way, precision or inspector doesnt drop the voltage from 1.175 at any point. Afterburner cant hold on to that 1.175v, after 60/70c it drops voltage to 1.162 and so on. Precision does not.

edit: example. my cards are both running ~1250/1750. If i use afterburner, after 70c(or60, cant remember) the voltage drops from 1.175 to 1.162 and crashes drivers due to that. Precision voltage slider at 1.175 does not drop voltage when exceeding 70c and my cards stay stable.

Hmm, that's interesting. They both use the Rivatuner core, so they shouldn't be different that way, but you're right, Precision does seem to force the voltage to 1.175 instead of letting it drop. If you put in a lower voltage, like 1.125, it'll bounce right back up to 1.162 though. Wonder why it is different that way - maybe it's because Afterburner uses an offset for voltage instead of a value.

Changing the slider adjusts vDroop. This means that your offset voltage at idle will be higher - it generally does not make a difference because max GPU load will usually always be 1175 maxed no matter what, regardless of any slider setting. You cannot change max voltage unless you have a MSI lightning / PE card.

Back