why do i feel it is slower?

latief75

Limp Gawd
this is my second amd machine, the first athlon xp was extremely fast and so is this athlon 64. yet, one thing i noticed is when working on intel machines, the menus and windows in windows xp seem to popup faster. in the amd systems their seems to be a little lag always ..... any one else notice this ???

i don't understand why ......any ideas ?

It's because of the hyperthreading on Intel chips. Hyperthreading make the system believe that there are two processors when there is only one in reality. In terms of multitasking, hyperthreading makes a difference in terms of performance vs a single-core AMD Athlon 64 chip in multitasking. However, with AMD and Intel releasing dual-core chips, hyperthreading is not important as the dual-core AMD chips can multitask just as well as the intel chips; it will feel a tad slower since you are using a single-core AMD chip vs. an Intel chip with hyperthreading. Remember though, all of the AMD Athlon 64 chips still beat comparable Intel chips in gaming easily.

comparing my roommate's p4 EE and my clawhammer ar 2.3ghz, i can't tell the difference.

so we really need 2 cpus, or hyperthreading, simply to open a menu instantly? thats crap.

latief75 said:
this is my second amd machine, the first athlon xp was extremely fast and so is this athlon 64. yet, one thing i noticed is when working on intel machines, the menus and windows in windows xp seem to popup faster. in the amd systems their seems to be a little lag always ..... any one else notice this ???

i don't understand why ......any ideas ?
I find most of this comes down to graphics cards drivers, I notice it with XPs eyecandy turned on & it changes between graphics drivers, rather than CPUs. When the transitions etc turned off no diffrence AMD, Intel or VIA.

streetkid said:
so we really need 2 cpus, or hyperthreading, simply to open a menu instantly? thats crap.
Don't blame the cpu. Blame the software. :D

If you leave the taskbar up at all times like I do, you will experience no problems on any cpu. :p

There's also a built in windows delay for opening menus, at least in Windows 2000. I removed it using Tweak UI and menus pop up instantly on my not too amazing system.

could it have something to do with the chipsets? my understanding is that intel chipsets are superior to those of other manufacturers.......

i just visted bestbuy and tried this, and it confirmed what i'm said, i feel there is a lag in amd systems when compared to intel systems ......

any ideas ?

i dont feel any lag at all in any of my AMD systems... and i have intel rigs too...

There is more lag on my 2.2ghz 1mbcache 3400+ than with my 4400+ with 2.2ghz 1mb cache. Blame microsoft.

And the 3400+ is on an emachines laptop with ati9600 and only 512mb of ram...... :)

Anyways, my axp 2500 just pops things up right away,and it's got a suck ass gf5 5200 :cool:

The difference could also be blamed on system memory, vid card, amount of crap running in background, but probably the fact that the amd box is an emachines and the other a home built. Oem rigs use the crappiest mobos, cheapest ram, worst chipsets, etc....store bought comps cripple even the most potent cpus :(

I laugh every time I see someone write about how P4's with HT "feel" faster. I have had several P4's and several A64's and I have never been able to figure out what these people are talking about. I think it is psychological. They feel inadequate with their P4's, so they say "Yeah, but it FEELS faster." Right....I bet they think the Cavelier they are driving FEELS faster than that Corvette that just flew by them....

I forget ... some site did a 24HR burn test on a64 a64x2 P4 and P4D machines, gaming, encoding, daily use, the works. They made same comment, the single core AMD64 felt laggy, and definatelly so if tasked with a encoding task while trying to move around windows and such. The HT powered P4 single core did not exhibit this as much, even though it was being loaded 100% with coding as well. Of course, the a64x2 and P4D were in-discernable in "FEEL" and could zip through encoding and Gaming and Explorer all at once ... mmm now how much are those amdx2's going for again . F$$$ !!! :D

makes me hate intel even more . even tho I was all 4 intel in P2 P3 days.

Bah, mine pop's up instantly. You can also use Tuneup Utilities to change the time it takes to pop-up. Hmmm, on second reading that sounds a tad dodgy.

just to clear this out for everyone, this is not about applications... my amd system is faster than the intels i have used, but i only feel this lag when opening up menus and popup boxes under windows (and when comparing the two systems side by side), such as the start menu for example or my computer......

StoneNewt said:
doesn't each core have it's own 1MB? Thus to me it has 1MB+1MB but to the PR people is has 2MB? ;)

The cache is coherant and both cores can rapidly access it, making it into, basically, 2mb.

SpoogeMonkey said:
And the 3400+ is on an emachines laptop with ati9600 and only 512mb of ram...... :)

Anyways, my axp 2500 just pops things up right away,and it's got a suck ass gf5 5200 :cool:

The difference could also be blamed on system memory, vid card, amount of crap running in background, but probably the fact that the amd box is an emachines and the other a home built. Oem rigs use the crappiest mobos, cheapest ram, worst chipsets, etc....store bought comps cripple even the most potent cpus :(

I'm currently using only 512 dual channel until my 2gb comes in so one point moot. Had that 3400+ OCed before too, didn't do anything. And the GPU is powerful enough not to worry about rendering the task bar. So there ya go ;)

I've noticed this going from Intel to AMD systems too, the Intel systems do feel a bit "snappier", just an observation. Obviously the number speak for themselves in the gaming arena.

Im running iTunes,Firefox and AIM and im getting 4% CPU useage on myPentium 4 560J with HT.My parents computer has a P4 1.5ghz with no HT and if your running two applications,it chuges along.

Back