Why did you choose Intel over amd?

SparkedFire said:
lol, 200MHz slower. OMG must be aweful (at least it isn't a 1.3GHz part)

Welcome to the AMD side :)

you mean welcome back ;)

i have a 2600+, nf7-s...

and also a barton 2500+, nf7-m
and also a 2600+, a7n8x deluxe...

:rolleyes:

Jonsey said:
You think that's bad? I've got a 1.5 with RDRAM here at work. It sucks.

It isn't the RDRAM that's bad about those chips though, it's the generation of P4's that made it bad... they were underpowered and they just generally sucked.

~Adam

CleanSlate said:
It isn't the RDRAM that's bad about those chips though, it's the generation of P4's that made it bad... they were underpowered and they just generally sucked.

~Adam

truth be told, RDRAM was excellent and speedy memory (albeit, overpriced) the actual chip was what held back the performance. I'd love to see some Intel-based RDRAM Northwood/EE benchies :D

RDRAM's implementation wasn't ever done right and the latencies + prices + Rambus company policies ('sup royalty milk-factory) certainly didn't help.

Impulse said:
RDRAM's implementation wasn't ever done right and the latencies + prices + Rambus company policies ('sup royalty milk-factory) certainly didn't help.

i heard the rambus company policies is what screwed it all. Intel seemed to ditch rambus after they sued every company producing DDR for copyright infringement...

Rambus was for memory what SCO is for software...

I had a few northwoods CPU's on my ASUS P4T533-C motherboard. I ran PC1066 RDRAM and I really enjoyed the platform.

Expensive? Sure. But it was very fast for its day and that motherboard and RAM lasted me a while. Started with a Northwoods 1.6A (which immediately became a 2.14GHz!) and later a 3.06 with HT. This board lasted over two years, and when I was done, I sold it all on ebay for ALMOST what I had paid for it two years earlier!!! Talk about the best of both worlds!

It was a very stable platform and I went a solid two years without a blue screen or anything. ahh, those were the days!

mjz_5 said:
;

so you're saying, you can notice your code compiling 2% faster.. Come on...

But, you would notice a game only running at 1280x1024 because unlike AMD, an Intel CPU can’t run doom 3 smoothly at 1600x1200

Actually you can notice the HT doing its thing in certain apps

to reply to the topic:
Stability.
I have always had problems with AMD. while it might not be directly attributed to the CPU itself, the fact that AMD does not make the MCH and ICH leaves much to be desired. I have NEVER had a problem running an INTEL board and INTEL cpu. quite possibly the most stable platform i have used.

And, now that i have a job at Intel working in the System Validation lab... well lets just say i will never buy another AMD no matter what. (i always knew Intel did very extensive testing)

LyCoS said:
Rambus was for memory what SCO is for software...
I'm sorry but I'm not going to let that slide. There's a difference between protection of intellectual property and abuse of open-source software code. I'm no friend of Rambus but don't be too hasty with your pigeon-holing. Rambus has every right to wage legal battles with whomever they wish, because it's proprietary technology they were fighting over, unlike the ridiculous legal campaigns of SCO.

xonik said:
I'm sorry but I'm not going to let that slide. There's a difference between protection of intellectual property and abuse of open-source software code. I'm no friend of Rambus but don't be too hasty with your pigeon-holing. Rambus has every right to wage legal battles with whomever they wish, because it's proprietary technology they were fighting over, unlike the ridiculous legal campaigns of SCO.
Therein lies the problem. A good portion of the stuff Rambus sued over was discussed in meetings for the open standard. I'm a bit fuzzy on details, it has been awhile, but Rambus was in the group (JEDEC?) while in planning, then dropped out, filed for patents on methods discussed in the group (which while being a member of the group you cannot file for a patent on anything discussed within) and sued everyone they could.

Good technology, but a bunch of ass munches.

The 875P Chipset. No other reason, before that it was amd for me, bartons on nfroce2's tbreds on kt3 ultra's, etc etc down the line. The last intel before this p4 was a dual 433 celeron

well the only reason i have intel right now is because i got an insanely good deal. I've used both intel and amd in the past and never had a stability issue with either (386 to 486 to p1 to k6-2 to celeron (only cpu ive ever killed) to p3 coppermine to tbird to barton to northwood). my second system is a barton 1.83 @2.2 and has been running that way constantly for well over a year.

From a perspective of someone that builds alot of systems with both I have only a few complaints with both though, qa wise we havent had a bad a64 cpu yet, all of them that came back from customers have tested perfect as have most axp's and p4's. I really hate the crappy foxconn heatsinks that some of the semprons come with (the ones with the little green plastic thing that your suppose to use with a screwdriver to lever the heatsink on). On the p4 side im glad intel covers bent and missing pins becuase we get them somewhat often (several with the packaging still sealed so i know it wasnt just user error). Just yesterday i built 10 s478 systems i had one doa (which was pretty unusual) and one that had with bent pins which was annoying to say the least. So far though i havent come across any amd cpus with bent or missing pins out of the box.

0ldman said:
Therein lies the problem. A good portion of the stuff Rambus sued over was discussed in meetings for the open standard. I'm a bit fuzzy on details, it has been awhile, but Rambus was in the group (JEDEC?) while in planning, then dropped out, filed for patents on methods discussed in the group (which while being a member of the group you cannot file for a patent on anything discussed within) and sued everyone they could.

Good technology, but a bunch of ass munches.

they also sued every company producing DDR because they claimed that it was their intellectual property. (by the way they lost :rolleyes: )

xonik said:
the ridiculous legal campaigns of SCO.

yeah rambus did some of those too :p

The reason I switched to Intel is simple. I dealt with my other previous built systems being AMD and I was sick of alot of minor and major annoyances. I wanted to try something new and the IC-7 and 2.4C just dropped in price, so I thought, why not.

I'm certainly glad I did though because the performance factor is way higher than my 2100+ could ever have thought to achieve. Although, my next system would probably be AMD again because I'd love to try an FX-55.

Dark Assassin

My XP 2800+ died of spontaneous overclock fusion (fan on heatsink stopped and thermal protection didn't kick in) and some of my stuff was getting little dated even though performance was still acceptable (9600 Pro, PATA HDD, 4x DVD +/- RW). When I looked at a new system to build I knew I wanted next gen parts for the base, and while the A64 is currently a great platform, I expect it will start to really settle down in the next few months and present a clearer upgrade path than it currently does. So I now have a case with better airflow, a beefier and newer standards power supply and PCI-E graphics. My next build/upgrade should be a lot cheaper.

That said, my Intel box is supremely stable and a few apps I use for work are clearly Intel-centric as they are literally twice as fast as they were on my XP 2800+. This is my first Intel build in a few years but I can't say I am disappointed.

this is what you get when you get a cheap AMD processor and a decent (but still cheap) nforce3 mobo (thats my OC, NO MOD, NO VOLTAGE CHANGE, default aircooling on chipset AND cpu was used) :

note the FSB

fsb400.JPG

Simply cause the Intel P4 2.8C was a better processor than the AMD Athlon XP 3200XP+, as it Overclocked better, has HT tech, better at doing real multitasking, the Athlon 64s (754s) at the time were bloody expensive and didn't seem impressive and I didn't mind spending the extra $150bucks for the Intel route.

I'm still happy with my system. I don't see a need to upgrade until the FX59 comes out and drops down to around $400-600 CAD.

I was going to build a AMD 64 3500+ but i got approved for intel's retail program so i took the intel cuz i saved me alot of money and already had PCIe

P4 550 (3.4ghz)
D915PBL MoBo
XP Pro

all for $199, couldn't give that deal up so i took it.

I'm building a AMD 64 2800+ for the family at the same time but the P4 is gonna be my personal rig

Because at the time the 2.4c pwned all for what I was willing to spend. I have had it at 3.2 rock-solid for about 2 years at 270FSB - a very good investment IMHO.

-SEAL

Back