Why can't MacBook's have a proper keyboard?

MrCrispy

2[H]4U
The damn keyboard layout :mad: I will never get used to not having a backspace key, and Ctrl where the Fn key should be (hate that about Thinkpads as well).

Seriously this is enough to prevent me from buying one, since every time I've used it, it trips me up.

If you used it pretty much all the time you would get used to it. I did.

The damn keyboard layout :mad: I will never get used to not having a backspace key, and Ctrl where the Fn key should be (hate that about Thinkpads as well).

Seriously this is enough to prevent me from buying one, since every time I've used it, it trips me up.

You can actually swap ctrl and fn keys on thinkpads :cool:

You get used to it, like you get used to any new peripheral. Your muscle memory has to adjust.

I got used to the control key not being where I'm used to. I swapped the right option key to be the delete key. Much happier.

Its not that bad. There are bigger things to be concerned about when buying a computer.

I go back and forth between a windows computer, a macbook, and a macbook connected to an external and "windows" keyboard without any hassle.

I remapped caps lock to control, so I don't really care where the actual key is.

It is easy enough to remap keys, or just get used to it like the rest of the world. You hardly ever even need control on a mac. The only thing I use it for is quicksilver (ctrl + space)

AFAIK, there isn't a way to swap the function and control keys on a 2011 MBP. Not a big deal, I got used to it.

so, uh, don't?

it's not that big of a deal. All semester I switch back and forth between mac and pc, and I just get used to it.

apostrophes-mens-400.jpg

I hated it at first, but now I'm so used to the dinky Macbook layout that I had to get a wireless apple keyboard at work just so my workstation would have parity with my home laptops. My coworkers think I'm crazy for ditching the numpad, but once you get used to it, the layout is fine IMO.

delete == backspace.

Why can't [insert any windows laptop here] have a proper keyboard?

Seriously, having used my MBP since 2008, I can't use any other keyboard on any other laptop. I can type 60-70 WPM on my MBP, but I have to retype sentences over and over on my gfs laptop, or my dads, etc. Mainly because the keys are shifted slightly and the spacing between them is a little different.

It's all just muscle memory, not a shitty keyboard. (well....some just do have a shitty keyboard lol)
I do agree with the fn key location. It should be where the enter key is on my 08 MBP, next to the arrow keys, and that enter key just shouldn't exist (return = enter when num lock is on). BUT, I have gotten used to it and it doesn't slow me down at all now.

I dread the day I have to get a newer MBP, I'm not a fan of the "chicklet" keys. I like the traditional style laptop keys on my 08 (generation prior to unibodys)

I type at 100-110 wpm on my Thinkpad keyboard. Best laptop keyboard I have ever found. The spacing and tactile feedback on the Mac keyboards suck IMO.

I have a netbook with a standard layout, and then my MacBook Pro. I can switch between them without thinking twice. It's really not that difficult.. you don't even think about it.

control, option and command can be tweaked in system preferences

Go into system prefs, keyboard and mouse, keyboard, then click the "modifier keys" button on the bottom of that screen

There is also this for more control: http://pqrs.org/macosx/keyremap4macbook/

Remab4macbook worked! Awesome! DoubleCommand maps control to function, but it doesn't work in all programs. Now I only need a solution for Windows. That is a tougher nut to crack.

Back