Why cant I run AOE3 maxed out?

wiskeychris

Limp Gawd
My rig is in my Sig. I really dont understand why I cant run this game at 1600x1200 with everything maxed, with an acceptable frame rate. Do I have to go SLI to run a freaking RTS? I'm feeling ripped off right about now. I spend close to $1000 about 3 months ago to upgrade my machine, and now I cant play games maxed?

What is "acceptable" to you?

In RTS games, even 20-30 fps is fine. For FPS games, framerates of >40 is usually what people consider acceptable.

I run AOE3 at 1280x960....I dont even NEED it that high...it's just a RTS...

even with sli i cant run at maxed specs. 1900*1600.

i can only run it at 1600 maxed.

its prob a driver issue.

sean2sean said:
even with sli i cant run at maxed specs. 1900*1600.

i can only run it at 1600 maxed.

its prob a driver issue.

:eek: I wonder what kinda system would be needed to play it maxed out :eek:

The the sharder detail (or whatever the setting is called) down one notch. I guarantee you'll double your fps.

Look at battle for middle earth. That game gets around 25FPS on just about every system no matter what the settings are, however the game runs and plays just fine.You can tell when it's starting to chug, but that doesn't take away from the gameplay.

If it's starting to piss you off, well, you might have a problem, because you're system is still high end. You could probably get another GT and see what happens with that. Not too much will gain you really noticeble performance aside form SLI. If it's really a problem, you know what you have to do. That's just the way things work :p.

must be something weird
i was playing it maxed out 1600x1200 on a x800xl
fps was likely >30

maybe something else is up with ur system.

in general:
id say fps ppl want lower res and higher frame rate, while rts ppl want higher res, giving up a bit of frame rate...

fyi aoe:3 | while the game might not be great, with settings maxed it looks pretty amazing.

i had anti-alasing off.

8steve8 said:
must be something weird
fps was likely >30

in general:
id say fps ppl want lower res and higher frame rate, while rts ppl want higher res, giving up a bit of frame rate...

fyi aoe:3 | while the game might not be great, with settings maxed it looks pretty amazing.

i had anti-alasing off.

hmmm were you playing it on that 165? if so i bet its the multithraded code kicking in

It's always like that with new RTSs with kickass graphics, you have to settle with a lower graphics quality than you are used to with other games. There is just so much going on that you can't directly see, IA calculations, routines etc. etc.

Personally I saw the biggest improvements when disabling AA, then water reflection and bloom effect. You shouldn't get any slowdown anymore by doing so with your rig.

As for the remark about Battle For Middle Earth, that's because the game is capped at 30 FPS. You can remove the cap with a .big editor but it has reportedly screwed up synchronisation between animations and voices on some people's comps. The game runs really good with the cap anyway... (too bad it's utter unfinished and unsupported garbage apart from that :) )

Hope it helped.

pr0pensity said:
Your puny GT won't last forever. Disable antialiasing.
I guess you havent seem some of the lastest benchmarks have you? an EVGA 7800GT "CO" stayed with in 5/7FPS to a GTX (I think it was a BFG, but not sure) until 1600x1200 with max AA&AF enabled, but then it was still close. The GT is one hell of a mighty card, and your reply in any way you look at it, didnt not help "DEMICORE" at all. I always get thread crapping in my treads and it pisses me off. Now, back to the matter at hand here: DEMICORE, sometimes if I dont load my moniter drivers, the refresh rates go to hell, I would suggest to you to load the most current moniter driver (assuming your using a CRT) and see if that helps. Next I would do is go thru the NVIDIA control panel and double check all your settings. Make sure your ram timings are accurate. Run a "BENCHMARK" or 2 and see how things go, and compair your numbers to another Computer that is SPEC'ed close to yours. Good luck.......

Try CIV 4 ! I have 7800 GT SLI with an Athlon 64 3800 and 3 gig of ram. I STILL can't zoom out to see the world view without huge framerate drops- we're talking slideshow! And this is at 1280x1024.

- Tony

Lazy development if you ask me. "We cant get the newest games to run like they should on current vid cards, so lets make new cards!!!" Really, the 6 month rotation on new video cards is to blame here. when I spend $400 on a new vid card, there should be no reason in hell that I have to upgrade in 6 months; or that games dont run like they should in 6 months. Its all about making money.

i ran it ona 6800GT @ 429 / 1200 and i could only o 1024 x 728 with 2x aa and i think 6af ?

i watched my FPS with FRAPS and for every new unit that appears on my screen - the FPS dropped about 2-3 per new unit.

RTS have alot of single items to render add AA to and such so they can give a hit to cards - your 7800GT's is not the greatest card, even GTX's arent with the new games coming out.

This always happens - new cards come out, and there are already games that can eat them (F.E.A.R for example)

I agree, but I'm saying I think its stupid. Seriously, look what the original xbox can do. It has a geforce 3 in it,and it can still put out very good visuals. I'd just like to see a little bit of the console mentality translate over to PC gaming.

Wont happne

Console - 1 task
PC - many task - many hardware variations

PC can never be as refined as a console, a console has set part and developers can take full use of that - for a PC - so many possible GFX confgurations, they have to design for that.

No kidding...I can run AOE3 at 1920x1200 with everything maxed EXCEPT FSAA. I turn on low FSAA and my FPS goes from pretty nice to probably around 10-15. What the hell...

wiskeychris said:
I agree, but I'm saying I think its stupid. Seriously, look what the original xbox can do. It has a geforce 3 in it,and it can still put out very good visuals. I'd just like to see a little bit of the console mentality translate over to PC gaming.

Yeah...at 640x480 or whatever low res that outputs lol.

8steve8 said:
must be something weird
fps was likely >30

in general:

i had anti-alasing off.

x800's dont do the HDR in that game, hence u can run the higher settings just fine. my buddy with his x1800xl (oc to xt) chugs a bit at 16x12 max all with AA so i dont think its just your system. its either a game bug, driver issue, cause he would even chug right off the start of a map when there isnt much on the screen.

Back