Why can't I find a Wii???

fuelvolts

[H]ard|Gawd
I have been searching for weeks now for a Wii that is not bundled with some crappy games that costs $400+. All I want is Wii and Wii Fit and I don't want 3 or 4 crappy games I'll never play. I have been paying close attention to http://wiitracker.com/, but no luck for at least 3 weeks. Every time I go to Walmart, Target, etc. I look and nothing. It's a bit frustrating and really puts me off. I mean, the XBOX has sold over 10 million units and my local Walmart had 5 or 6 in stock. But the Wii area was barren.

Is is just a matter of luck? Are they increasing production? I mean, it's not like they use rare/expensive blue lasers or any complicated hardware.

Just frustrated and needed to vent. :mad:

You can't find a Wii because of families like my girlfriend's. Every single WI hick household in her extended family has purchased one since i brought mine over for Christmas eve after the launch. That works out to just under 20 consoles, we showed up for Easter and everyone brought their Wiimotes with them.

The cross generational appeal of the thing is nuts and with Wii Fit out now you're not going to find them any easier. Since Nov 06 I've seen 2 units on the shelves when I've been out shopping.

I see them locally all the time.I don't know how you cant find one.Where do you live?I am in ohio and I reall see them alot

The 360 released a year before the Wii, and they had issues themselves initially.

I found mine the shipment after launch, only waited 2 hours in the morning. Calling around and planning ahead work very well.

I havnt seen a bundle at any of the main retailers, only at the smaller ones like EB and Gamestop which I avoid (saw ads).

Did you check Toys R Us? Around the beginning of May i saw a link on here that the US was going to start getting a bigger supply. In that same thread somebody said they had heard Toys R Us was going to be getting the most. I went to Toys R Us twice that week for two different reasons. Once on Monday and they had a bunch. Again on Thursday and they still had a bunch. I've never seen one sitting on a store shelf before that, so i sort of figured that that May shipment was the beginning of the end of the shortage.

Another reason was the US dollar (don't know if it still applies). Expensively priced version sold in Europe, combined with sinking $ made Nintendo Europe as their primary target for selling Wii now until they get sale drops...

I got up this morning to go to my local Circuit City 30 minutes before opening and there were 10 people in line with 6 Wiis in stock. No luck. Drove over to Best Buy and same story, but they had 10 in stock and I was around the 15th person in line and everyone said they were buying one. It looks like I'll have to fork over about $400 for a Wii bundled with crappy games. Toys R Us has a bunch in stock with Mario Cart, Spyro, and Crash Bandicoot for $400, I could care less about the last two games, but I am so frustrated that I'll just fork it over. I'll spend the extra $150 on gas just driving around! ;)

FOUND ONE!!!!!!!!111!!!11!!!

Thanks to Techbargains.com, they said that Circuit City had them for in store pickup only. Well, the nearest one that has one is about a 30 minute drive, but there is a Fry's right next door, so I'm gonna pick it up at CC and buy some accessories/games at Fry's! I am so glad I had today off!:D:D:D:D:D

Haha good luck. Man, can't believe the Wii is still sold out or not a stroll in the store to pick it up almost 1.5 yrs later.

Yeah my sister finally got lucky and picked one up this weekend. Said she just happened into WalMart and saw it there, picked it up without even thinking about it really. I have a feeling that now with Wii Fit out and Mario Kart Wii they will become harder to find. I mean come on, my rents the most anti-video game people I know actually bought a Wii about a month ago and are still playing it (both in their early 60s). This thing and its games are made for good ole' fashioned family fun, no long game play with numerous saves etc. This is really the one and only console that you can pick up and play a game for a half hour and not feel like you are wasting your time by just turning it off when dinner is ready.

Damn.. I had to wait out in the freezing cold rain for 3 hours in the early morning at Target the Week Before Christmas for one for the Kids..

I've never, ever, seen a wii on store shelves that was for sale. I haven't even considered buying one until I do. No, I'm not getting up at 5am in an attempt to get one. I had to do that crap 18 months ago to get one for my brother for christmas. I don't feel I should have to do it now.

Nintendo Simply Underestimated the Demand for them in the US by a wide margin.. At 2 years though.. its simply a matter of keeping the units in Ulra-demand.. People still buy them on-sight now.. still..

I've seen quite a few of them on the shelves around here. I usually walk around stores during my lunch hour. I know Target and Meijers don't always put them out early in the morning, so people might miss them if the are there too early.

Just a couple of tips to help anyone who might be looking...

Nintendo Simply Underestimated the Demand for them in the US by a wide margin.. At 2 years though.. its simply a matter of keeping the units in Ulra-demand.. People still buy them on-sight now.. still..

I've seen them twice in the wild here locally over the last month. I've never seen them on shelves before (one was at Costco in an overpriced bundle back, though). What would be useful is something like a Wii-club where those who have Wiis can buy them and share with those who are Wii-thout.

I've started seeing Wiis on the shelf a lot recently.

Gamestop by work had 4 last week. Target by my house was putting pricetags on a stack of 6yesterday morning. I don't go looking, these are just ones that I glance over and see when shopping.

It is still hard to get one as they sell fast, but not last-year-impossible.

I was in a Electronics Boutique in my local mall that had a couple. However I don't quite have the liquid cash to purchase one yet.

I see them locally all the time.I don't know how you cant find one.Where do you live?I am in ohio and I reall see them alot

You can check to find local availability at CC. Show me one store in Ohio with a Wii. Or any other store that you can check for availability online. They sell out as soon as they are on the shelf.

use wii alerts they send you a text message as soon as they have some available online. I got my right before christmas off amazon using this.

Back