Why cant I even reach advertised specs

Light1984

Gawd
I am currently running what you seen in my sig, but for some reason, when I try to set my memory (newegg link) to 1066 (as it is rated with AM2+) I get some crashes in games (crysis, lock on) and the occasional BSOD. Below is my CPU-Z and as you can see, I should be able to hit 1066, although the highest I can set my tRC timing to is somewhere in the 30s which is probably too tight. Also, my motherboard only allows either 2.080 or 2.155v for the mem, so I can either go under or over the required 2.1v. Those are the only two things I can think, anyone got any other ideas on why I cant stay stable at 1066?

memcpuzzz6.jpg

Set timings to AUTO in BOIS and use correct VDIMM. You'll get there.

Currently, that is what I am running, everything set to auto, including vdimm. If I do this, it boots up as 800mhz. Are you suggesting just leave everything auto, but change my voltage to 2.155? Does it make any difference that my motherboard wont hit 2.1v exactly?

I have the same memory kit, and tRC has to be set to my mb's maximum allowed value (42) or else it won't even POST. Other than that... it works fine at 2.1V...

So I probably wont be able to use these at 1066mhz then, because I think even though these are on the approved vendors list, or whatever its called, for my motherboard, I think the highest I can go on the tRC is somewhere in the 30s for some reason. Ill give it a shot when I get home from work tonight, but thanks for the responses.

So, am I to assume I have defective memory. It wont boot at 1066mhz if I set things to auto. The only way I can get 1066mhz is if I manually set it, and it will occasionally crash to desktop when playing games. Do I need to RMA?

Have you tried each module individually with Memtest or the OS? Also, you may want to try them at DDR800 just to test the modules. I am not sure that a Phenom rig will even be able to run memory at 1066.

I havent tried them individually, that is my next route. I thought memory was independent of cpu when it came to AMD chips. I thought it came down to the motherboard. Can anyone else verify if Phenom can run 1066mhz memory as a stock speed?

I havent tried them individually, that is my next route. I thought memory was independent of cpu when it came to AMD chips. I thought it came down to the motherboard.
The frequency can be set independent of the CPU if the bios allows it but, the limitation is still the memory controller.

The motherboard manual says that 1066mhz will work on AM2+ CPUs, so maybe it means parts that have yet to be released. I just assumed it would work for current AM2+ CPUS.

So, am I to assume I have defective memory. It wont boot at 1066mhz if I set things to auto. The only way I can get 1066mhz is if I manually set it, and it will occasionally crash to desktop when playing games. Do I need to RMA?

Most all ram rated past 800 doesn't, that is why it is called overclocking ram. SLI or EPP ram put in board set up to work with them is the exception, when it actually works. Ram is one of those things where you buy ram with certain timings and speeds, but it is your responsibility to get it there. Its also a bit of a grey area since the only way to prove it is actually the RAMs fault if you cant reach those settings is if you have another set that can to rule out the memory controller and board.

Roger that. So, since I can post at 1066, should I try increasing the voltage to increase stability? How high can I really go, safely?

Roger that. So, since I can post at 1066, should I try increasing the voltage to increase stability? How high can I really go, safely?

Like the corsair guy said, best bet is probably to run memtest on them one piece at a time.. Might also dig back through the specs on the ram, see if they listed a max voltage that warrant them up to.

I'd suggest you contact Gskill and see if they have done any Phenom testing yet. But, I don't recall seeing many if any people posting success stories at 1066 on current AMD stuff.

Ok, I ran the latest memtest and it says it is running at 966 mhz, but when I boot into windows it says 1066mhz. What is going on?! How long should I run memtest for?

Ok, I ran the latest memtest and it says it is running at 966 mhz, but when I boot into windows it says 1066mhz. What is going on?! How long should I run memtest for?

memtest is a little long on the tooth and is probably just reporting the speed incorrectly due to your chipset. Not to worry there. BTW memtest86+ is what I recommend, just checking, there are several versions out there now. If someone knows of a version that is more stressful please let me know.

The longer the better but if a stick does not show errors over 2 full passes of the tests I consider it good. An argument can be made for 1 pass (and for all night) but while the code tests the memory the cpu and the northbridge also have work to do and I like to make sure they get warmed up as well.

Can you use something like memset to check the tRC value ? I am wondering that if you leave tRC and the other sub-timings on auto (set the main timings to 5 5 5 15 or even try 5 5 5 18) and enable EPP if the board will read the EPP settings and set it for you to 42 (as it should be designed to do) since the manual settings do not have that value in the selections. The EPP profile sets a lot more stuff than what is shown in cpu-z.

Just a shot in the dark. It sounds like you have tried about everthing.

I still say it's the MOBO+CPU. Your results are very similar to mine with a Phenom. IMO, if you are not willing to change the MOBO and CPU combination, then you are likely going to have to compromise on memory speed and run something less than 1066.

BillParrish said:
BTW memtest86+ is what I recommend, just checking, there are several versions out there now.

Can you use something like memset to check the tRC value ? I am wondering that if you leave tRC and the other sub-timings on auto (set the main timings to 5 5 5 15 or even try 5 5 5 18) and enable EPP if the board will read the EPP settings and set it for you to 42 (as it should be designed to do) since the manual settings do not have that value in the selections. The EPP profile sets a lot more stuff than what is shown in cpu-z.

Just a shot in the dark. It sounds like you have tried about everthing.

I tried setting the main settings to 5-5-5-15 and then the rest to auto with EPP enabled, but it still crashed. I was using memtest+ sorry, i forgot the +. I didnt however do one stick at a time. Would that make a big difference?

Mike Clements said:
I still say it's the MOBO+CPU. Your results are very similar to mine with a Phenom. IMO, if you are not willing to change the MOBO and CPU combination, then you are likely going to have to compromise on memory speed and run something less than 1066.

I am hoping this isnt the case, but it may be. The only thing that gets me here is that the motherboard has this particular kit as one supported for 1066 mhz on the QVL in the manual. Maybe a bios update will help in the future.

hstuehmeyer2000 said:
Try adjusting trfc0 , trfc1, trfc 2, and trfc3. Set all of them to 127.5ns or 195ns.

How would I got about adjusting these?

Newegg approved the RMA, so I will be trying two new sticks in the next couple weeks. I will keep everyone posted in case someone does a new build with similar parts. Thanks everyone for the input and suggestions.

Having the exact same issue here man, I used two different makes and models of RAM, same issue (4 gigs from kingston, 8 gigs from G.Skill). Same types of errors.

I have a Phenom 9950 Black Edition, with 8 gigs of G.Skill RAM. I think ASUS messed up when they did their testing of their board, I can't use all 4 slots at the full 1066, regardless of timings or voltages. Memtest86+ spits out groups of errors at a time, and typically its the last two bits of each segment that is throwing the errors.

After talking with AMD, they said that sometimes there is a particular chipset's configuration that can be EXTREMELY picky about RAM due to it's resource management, and sometimes not work all-together (this wasn't your classic dummy tech either, this guy was engineer grade). I am willing to bet that it's just a junk board for 1066, where you play Russian Roulette with the RAM, regardless what ASUS says.

It is possible that you and I both may have gotten a bad set of Procs. You can call up AMD and ask them if you could send in your Processor for testing, and I will probably get a different board. Reading up on how ASUS has been dropping the ball lately with their bios's, I am willing to put bucks down that it's the mobo.

It's the memory controller.

And, if you'll look closely at the specifications, ASUS (and no one else for that matter) guarantees that you can run 4 up at 1066.

Having the exact same issue here man, I used two different makes and models of RAM, same issue (4 gigs from kingston, 8 gigs from G.Skill). Same types of errors.

I have a Phenom 9950 Black Edition, with 8 gigs of G.Skill RAM. I think ASUS messed up when they did their testing of their board, I can't use all 4 slots at the full 1066, regardless of timings or voltages. Memtest86+ spits out groups of errors at a time, and typically its the last two bits of each segment that is throwing the errors.

After talking with AMD, they said that sometimes there is a particular chipset's configuration that can be EXTREMELY picky about RAM due to it's resource management, and sometimes not work all-together (this wasn't your classic dummy tech either, this guy was engineer grade). I am willing to bet that it's just a junk board for 1066, where you play Russian Roulette with the RAM, regardless what ASUS says.

It is possible that you and I both may have gotten a bad set of Procs. You can call up AMD and ask them if you could send in your Processor for testing, and I will probably get a different board. Reading up on how ASUS has been dropping the ball lately with their bios's, I am willing to put bucks down that it's the mobo.

What are your other specs? I assume you are running the same exact motherboard? Did you try running two sticks at 1066? Did you memtest+ one stick at a time by chance?

Mike Clements said:
It's the memory controller.

So that means its the CPU, not the memory right because the controller is on the die? Should I RMA the CPU instead of the memory? Maybe I should buy some corsair memory ;) That is actually what I was running in my previous rig for 5 or 6 years. No problems, shoulda stuck with corsair.

Quite frankly, I don't think it's possible to run 1066 with this board in a 4 slot filled config, or maybe at least with a 9950.

If you pull two of the sticks, you will not get a single error what-so-ever with the RAM. I remember calling ASUS and they said something about a manual misprint with 1066, it's possible that this board doesn't actually support all four slots filled with 1066. After all, 99% of other boards seem to be unfriendly with a 4 slot population too.

Anyone know what the supposed problem with AMD's mem controller is supposed to be?

Anyways, AMD did say that ASUS might get it fixed in time with a Bios update though. They said in their experience, many customers had other boards with issues like this; a small flashing, and voila! Problem fixed.

In my eyes though, I don't think 1066 is all that much of an upgrade, is it? 800 still is damn fast. I am debating if I should return two of my sticks and downgrade to 4 gigs @ 1066, or just stick with 8 gigs at 800.

In my eyes though, I don't think 1066 is all that much of an upgrade, is it? 800 still is damn fast. I am debating if I should return two of my sticks and downgrade to 4 gigs @ 1066, or just stick with 8 gigs at 800.

Thats what I have, two sticks, but I cant even get them to run at 1066. I am gonna try a second kit I guess.

Anticept,

You were able to stay stable with 2x2Gb at 1066 with a Phenom 9950 and an Asus M3N72-D? I can boot into windows just fine at that speed, but I get crashes in games and BSODs.

I didn't boot windows, I used memtest86+ for a round and it didn't error.

Like I said, I am willing to bet it's the mobo.

Let me set you straight. Your RAM is NOT at fault. ;). I have used two different manufacturers, with two different sizes, same results. I highly doubt our processors are the problem either, since we are both able to run at 800 without a fault, but have varying results with 1066.

I am still deciding if I want to return the board. I don't think I will do it through Newegg, rather do it with Asus directly, that way I might be able to pester them to test it before sending out, saying that my "friend" (you) is also having problems.

The thing is, I don't want to give up my compy for a week :(. I might buy a bunch of games for the Wii though, to keep me busy while my toy gets fixed. Although, I kinda wish I went with Intel right about now.

Sounds like a plan. Do keep me posted please if you get a new board and let me know how that works out. Maybe I will upgrade to a 790fx board...

Quite frankly, I don't think it's possible to run 1066 with this board in a 4 slot filled config, or maybe at least with a 9950.

If you pull two of the sticks, you will not get a single error what-so-ever with the RAM. I remember calling ASUS and they said something about a manual misprint with 1066, it's possible that this board doesn't actually support all four slots filled with 1066. After all, 99% of other boards seem to be unfriendly with a 4 slot population too.

Anyone know what the supposed problem with AMD's mem controller is supposed to be?

Anyways, AMD did say that ASUS might get it fixed in time with a Bios update though. They said in their experience, many customers had other boards with issues like this; a small flashing, and voila! Problem fixed.

i think it might be a problem with most 1066 ram as i built a q6600 system for a buddy with 2X2gb gskill ram and he can't run 1066 or it is very unstable but with 2 of my sticks it runs fine.. I have no problem with 4X2gb in my setup. plug and play.

I have decided I am not going to mess with it. DDR 800 more than serves my needs, and will for years to come.

The thing is, DDR 1066 seems so damn finicky, that even if I get it working, there is no telling what may cause it to stop working again.

i think it might be a problem with most 1066 ram as i built a q6600 system for a buddy with 2X2gb gskill ram and he can't run 1066 or it is very unstable but with 2 of my sticks it runs fine.. I have no problem with 4X2gb in my setup. plug and play.

Unless it is faulty RAM, it's not the RAM. On either platform, it's going to boil down to the capabilities of the memory controller.

An update:

I received a new kit from Newegg, which on a side note, they are simply amazing, long story short, they took care of me and went above and beyond because I didnt have all the original packaging to RMA the ram. Anyways, I got the new kit, set everything to auto, set SLI Memory to High Performance and Dual channel to enabled and everything is stable so far. Played a little Real Flight G4 and no problems. I also used Everest to monitor temps, and my MCP (which is the north bridge I presume) was at 61 Celsius. I had bought a small 40mm fan from the Egg and put that on it, and it is now running at 51 Celsius, not sure if this had any effect on stability, but it cant hurt. Also, I did some quick research into a setting that I was unsure about in the bios: Memory Hole Remapping. Seems after a google search that others are having instability issues with this enabled on all sorts of motherboards. If anyone knows, can you give me a good explanation. From what I gathered it simply lets your OS recognize more than 3GB, is that correct?

Back