Why can't I burn Windows 7 OS to my DVD?

verklighet

Weaksauce
Hey guys!

Im trying to reformat my computer by burning a Windows 7 boot DVD. So I have a Windows 7 iso-file which is totally approx 4.20 GB (4,521,232,949 bytes). And I have a DVD that says it has 4.7 GB on its cover. But when I try to burn the file by dragging the Windows 7 folder into the DVD drive, it says I don't have enough disk space.

It specifically says " There is not enough disk space on this DVD RW drive. You need an additional 985 MB to copy these files."

Why would that be, if you calculate the differences between the file and the space on the dvd, the files should fit in the dvd right?

Thanks guys!

Use ImgBurn instead. You don't want the file on the DVD. You want what's within the file to be on the DVD. ImgBurn will look at the file and do what needs to be done to create the boot disk.

^This, or if you're already on Windows 7 use the built-in Disc Image burning tool (right click the ISO file to access the tool).

I tried IMG burn and it still caused som undefined problems and then I tried using the builin Windows 7 method, where I transfered the files INSIDE the .iso file to the cd directory, still it said its too big.

Hm, maybe its the DVD, this one is -R, maybe need RW? +R?

You have to burn the ISO to the DVD or it simply will not work. Since Imgburn did not work, you will need to find another way to burn that ISO to disk.

Is this an "official" Windows 7 ISO?

x86 version is less than 3 GB with the x64-bit version being 3.3 GB or so..

Is this an "official" Windows 7 ISO?

x86 version is less than 3 GB with the x64-bit version being 3.3 GB or so..

Good point. I know that if it is a Dell Windows 7 ISO, you will need a double density DVD.

No it's too big, Blue-ray yes. Just get a USB stick 16GB/ but 32GB would be better and make a system image. Even a External hard drive would be good to save it.

A 4.7GB DVD is actually 4.37GB when converted to the binary form of a GB that Windows reports files and volume sizes with... but it still should be enough space for your image Have you tried a fresh disc after the first one failed?

How much space does Windows Explorer report as free on the blank that you've already tried? It sounds as though it's been written too before and that session is gone. The space would still be used up though since it's a write once medium.

Yea I tried a couple of disks, still didn't work. I'm sure its me doing something wrong, but anyways, Ive decided to invest in a USB stick, it makes sense to move on from CD's and just adapt to the new ways. Besides, I can fill up the USB with plugins/updates/drivers and other stuff as well.

Hey thanks guys, i really appriciated all the help.

Back