Why buy a Venomous-X over a Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme-1366 RT?

damnathan

Limp Gawd
Just curious why I'm seeing this trend. There is a 12 dollar difference (at least in my case), and the Venomous-X doesn't even include a fan....any ideas? 52.95 vs 64.95? Just seems like 53 bucks is a steal compared to the Venomous-X....

You know, now that I think about it. You're right. Unless [H]ard's test was off, the Venomous and the TRUE are almost identical in performance. Maybe they differ when it comes to push/pull.

Last edited:
answers are all right here...

http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=879&p=0

bigger, badder, better. Beats the ultra by 4C. Better bracket system. Bigger Cooler. Better fins.

So pretty straight forward marketing. Ultra is not top dog anymore. If they were the same price, or close in price, why would you buy it? But make it cheaper, and throw in a fan, and it becomes viable again. You want the big bog, buy the X, if you want value, buy the ultra.

No matter which of them you run, you're well under any temp that would cause problems.

Last edited:
Hmm, makes me wonder why legion's results were so different from Hard's.

different test beds.....hard used a 920, legion a 965, could be the reason.

But didn't [H] OC the 920? An OC'd 920 will easily reach the speeds of the 965. Also, I'd put more faith in [H]'s testing methods since they don't use the inaccurate data from the thermal sensors.

Seems to me the only reason to buy a Venomous is if you need a new air cooler. If you have a TRUE120 and went thru the painstaking process of lapping it like I did, the venomous x is a waste of money.

I personally like the mounting system of the TRUE. You can basically get the same pressure effects from the venomous by adding different thickness washers to the the true mount.

Hmm, why do none of these reviews ever have the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 in them? The few that do seem to put it right up there with the TRUE120, for half the price.

you gotta remember HardOCP's review was for a VENEMOUS X not VENOMOUS X... lol :)

venemous.jpg

I guess nobody caught it or didn't care since they cater to more of technical guys...

Right now there are 3 top air coolers:
Noctua NH-D14
VenomousX
Megahalems

All were beaten on the reviews here yet pretty much any other review you read from users or websites have them ranked usually in the order above as the best air coolers.... ;)

Back