Why Best Buy Checks Your Receipt

I work at Staples, and I can tell you we don't do receipt checks. Measures are taken before anything even goes out to the shelves to prevent theft, and if thieves can get past those, then they're more than your run of the mill shoplifter. Things like office supplies (pens, clips, calculators) aren't top of the list of things to protect from shoplifters. Only electronics item we've had a problem with is microsoft web cams. We had 3 of them in the last month stolen and empty boxes left behind. It's not that hard to spot someone stealing shit in a retail store though. We've stopped a few people since I've started there that tried to put things like wireless keyboards and routers/AP's under their coats. ...Like I can't see the huge bulge under a coat of a router inside a plastic security box...

I used to think people are better than they are, but I don't trust one single person who walks in the door anymore. If it were up to me, you would have to subject yourself to TSA style body scans to get out the door.

Familiarity breeds contempt, heh

You've got the thieves who steal and the idiots who chant about their rights(sic) on someone else's property, while under the delusion that stores check receipts to drive away honest customers.

One reason online shopping is cheaper, even with the cost of shipping, is because they don't let people in the store in the first place. Beats a body scanner to prevent shoplifting.

I refuse to show my receipt at Best Buy and Walmart (and others) as well. I don't act like a jack ass or anything about it. When they ask I politely refuse and walk past them. No need to be ass and start shit with them. They asked, I declined.

However I have had one individual follow after me and give me the "I have to check your receipt, its store policy!" line before. I turned around and informed her that there is no law that says I had to abide by their request (and thats all it is...a request) as it is not law and that in fact my 4th Amendment rights state specifically this.

I am just surprised that so many people will freely give up their rights. Our forefathers are probably turning in their graves.

To quote a forefather

This will be the best security for maintaining our liberties. A nation of well-informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the religion of ignorance that tyranny begins.

and

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither safety nor liberty.

I think Ben Franklin got it right. Giving up your rights even a little in the name of... security... prices... safety... not having an argument... whatever means you don't want those rights and don't deserve them.

It is easy to say its no big deal, or dismiss those with a differing opinion as assholes that doesn't make what some retailers do in the name of preventing theft correct.

Yelling at someone asking for a receipt, or arguing, belittling, mocking, etc is being an asshole. Politely declining or just walking though with out responding is not.

Here you go:
CPC. 490.5
(f) (1) A merchant may detain a person for a reasonable time for
the purpose of conducting an investigation in a reasonable manner
whenever the merchant has probable cause to believe the person to be
detained is attempting to unlawfully take or has unlawfully taken
merchandise from the merchant's premises.
http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/490.5.html

Having worked 13 years retail management in California that means they see you take something, not you didn't want to show a receipt. If the merchant can not get you to admit to, or prove to a police officer, that you were stealing it was not reasonable.

Yes a merchant can stop you, if they cant prove theft they are open to a very costly lawsuit, more then $100,000 in most cases.

One other thing. If you walk out of the store and the electronic sensors go off, that is probable cause even if it is caused by your cell phone or something else.

No it isnt. Those sensors are very unreliable. Because just as you said, a cell phone, CB, or just about any kind of metal in a coil (like most Christmas decorations) as well as many hardware items can and will set them off.

I like to start running when they ask to see my receipt. Adds a bit of fun to the proceedings...

I wish I would have seen this story before it became 9 pages long.

I worked at Lowes/Home Depot for many years and became a manager in the later part of my "career" there.

I worked very closely with LP and you wouldnt imagine the ways people try to steal things.

The absolute best way to deter shoplifting is customer service... plain and simple. If employees actually pay attention to the customers around them (not in a "he might be stealing" type of way) then most shoplifters at least know they wont get away with it.

I'll share a story its kind of funny.

I see a customer with a shopping cart walking around in my department. I greet him ask him if he needs anything and continue on my way. I then see one of my regular customer's and we get into a conversation about his next job. We're walking around discussing it and we walk down the aisle the first customer was in. We walk down the aisle and the first customer is looking at fertilizer. I see a cart down the aisle and there is a cart there with no owner. I looked in the cart and about 10 spools of electrical wire were in it covered with a bag of fertilizer. I then realized it was the first customer's and he was nowhere to be seen. I scared him off. About a half hour later LP told me he was following him in the store and was waiting for him to try to walk out the door to stop him. <----another misconception... LP CAN stop you and if you try to leave they can... "detain" you. Once you get out of the store its a different story.

I wish I would have seen this story before it became 9 pages long.

I worked at Lowes/Home Depot for many years and became a manager in the later part of my "career" there.

I worked very closely with LP and you wouldnt imagine the ways people try to steal things.

The absolute best way to deter shoplifting is customer service... plain and simple. If employees actually pay attention to the customers around them (not in a "he might be stealing" type of way) then most shoplifters at least know they wont get away with it.

I'll share a story its kind of funny.

I see a customer with a shopping cart walking around in my department. I greet him ask him if he needs anything and continue on my way. I then see one of my regular customer's and we get into a conversation about his next job. We're walking around discussing it and we walk down the aisle the first customer was in. We walk down the aisle and the first customer is looking at fertilizer. I see a cart down the aisle and there is a cart there with no owner. I looked in the cart and about 10 spools of electrical wire were in it covered with a bag of fertilizer. I then realized it was the first customer's and he was nowhere to be seen. I scared him off. About a half hour later LP told me he was following him in the store and was waiting for him to try to walk out the door to stop him. <----another misconception... LP CAN stop you and if you try to leave they can... "detain" you. Once you get out of the store its a different story.

Just curious, if they manage to get out of the store, what difference does it make? What stops them from "chasing them down" ?

Off topic (but I thought it was funny), but youre running Windows 34 and only in 256bit? You'd think it's a little beyond that by the time they get to 34! :D

Just curious, if they manage to get out of the store, what difference does it make? What stops them from "chasing them down" ?

State law. Some states differ a bit on how far the person can be pursued, most states you can indeed follow them out of the store and in some case even off the property, but only in the immediate area, and most of the time nothing can be done if the person is returning to the area etc etc.

While it might be different for loss prevention officers, most if not all employees in any major chain store are trained to not accuse or pursue a shoplifter. Most companies would rather suffer the cost of a stolen item than deal with a several million dollar lawsuit when an employee gets shanked and says their manager told them to stop the shoplifter.

I'd pay good money to watch a shoplifter get a beatdown by LP. It's really too bad they can't do it.

I keep all my receipts in my underwear as soon as I get them. Fine with me if they want to check them.

If open carry is legal in your state, I suggest doing so at Best Buy. Really ruins the power trip of an LP officer.

The only thing I got out of the article is that if you are a liberal arts major "between college and graduate school" you get to work part time at Best Buy and use words phrases like "vapid platitudes abound" to try and apply the worthless education you received.

If open carry is legal in your state, I suggest doing so at Best Buy. Really ruins the power trip of an LP officer.

While this did make me smile a bit, as in Louisiana open carry is legal, and I do open carry. If this is a serious suggestion, I would have to say it is a really bad one. People who carry, no less open carry, need to be level headed people, and showing off a weapon, even if it's on your hip to try and intimidate someone back, is not a good idea. Also, if LP (for whatever reason) does indeed have a real reason to expect you of something inside the store, being armed can make allot of people jumpy and make the situation even worse for you, as allot of people even in security or LP don't understand carry laws. Not saying I remove my weapon when I go into a store, but I would never go into any place with a weapon with the purpose of being intimidating.

While this did make me smile a bit, as in Louisiana open carry is legal, and I do open carry. If this is a serious suggestion, I would have to say it is a really bad one. People who carry, no less open carry, need to be level headed people, and showing off a weapon, even if it's on your hip to try and intimidate someone back, is not a good idea. Also, if LP (for whatever reason) does indeed have a real reason to expect you of something inside the store, being armed can make allot of people jumpy and make the situation even worse for you, as allot of people even in security or LP don't understand carry laws. Not saying I remove my weapon when I go into a store, but I would never go into any place with a weapon with the purpose of being intimidating.

I'm not saying do it intentionally in Best Buy, as opposed to other places. I'm just saying that legally carrying, and doing so at BB(unless they kick you out for it, which has happened at some stores), might take the wind out of the sails of a heavy-handed LP officer. If there's a legitimate concern, then there's less to worry about. There's a difference between intimidating someone, and protecting yourself against intimidation.

I'm not saying do it intentionally in Best Buy, as opposed to other places. I'm just saying that legally carrying, and doing so at BB(unless they kick you out for it, which has happened at some stores), might take the wind out of the sails of a heavy-handed LP officer. If there's a legitimate concern, then there's less to worry about. There's a difference between intimidating someone, and protecting yourself against intimidation.

And that might work, but its also good to keep in mind such actions can get you into more trouble, as doing such (in some sates) can be considered brandishing a weapon. As you do not have to have a weapon drawn to be charged with that, it can mean as little as exhibiting a weapon (even if it's holstered) but it's done in a way to make you seem more threatening. Carry laws are under so much fire (no pun intended) as of late, the last thing we need are people using open carry as a way to scare people.

And that might work, but its also good to keep in mind such actions can get you into more trouble, as doing such (in some sates) can be considered brandishing a weapon. As you do not have to have a weapon drawn to be charged with that, it can mean as little as exhibiting a weapon (even if it's holstered) but it's done in a way to make you seem more threatening. Carry laws are under so much fire (no pun intended) as of late, the last thing we need are people using open carry as a way to scare people.

Again, you fail to differentiate between wearing a weapon so that people don't intimidate you, and wearing a weapon to intimidate others. They are not the same. I advocate the former, not the latter. If people mishandle weapons, they'll be punished for it. If people know their rights and are hassled for it, they should contact their local open carry organization and fight back.

Again, you fail to differentiate between wearing a weapon so that people don't intimidate you, and wearing a weapon to intimidate others. They are not the same. I advocate the former, not the latter. If people mishandle weapons, they'll be punished for it. If people know their rights and are hassled for it, they should contact their local open carry organization and fight back.

The way your comment was worded it seemed pretty clear, what you don't get, is what you think you are wearing it for does not matter, and it's a VERY thin line you are talking about, that most people, even LEO's will not see, so my warning to others about the idea, still stands, its a bad idea. Carrying should be used for protection of your life, and that's it.

If you are in the kind of situation like you placed in your first comment, then you know you are going to be dealing with LP, and even without being suspect in a store and just open carrying is enough for them to confront you in some cases (I have been asked by them to leave a store before), bottom line, it's a bad situation to be in at all, and if I know I am going to be in a non life threatening situation such as that with LP, I will leave my gun out of it, last thing you need in a lawsuit (if they step out of line) is "he had a gun" in court. Because if LP has a reason to stop you, the gun might not do anything, but get the LEO's called first (and you better hope he knows about OC laws, or you are in for a real fun time), if not, then all it does is go back to the court thing if they were out of line, while I don't like it, carrying a gun would already be a strike against you before anything even started.

You are welcome to do whatever you like, but the suggestion to open carry for the main reason of scaring off LP is not a good one.

This person was upset :p

81250926.jpg

I never understood the obsession with this. You do not have to stop and let them check your receipt, courts have proven this. If you do not like it just keep walking, they're trained(at Wal Mart at least) not to pursue you. They are not "true" loss prevention officers so it isn't their job.

I am not sure I understand the purpose of the article. I never questioned BestBuy checking my receipt because I thought it was pretty obvious they were making sure you paid for what you are attempting to leave the store with. Its not like they only stop minorities or something, why all the macho gun talk ?

Too many people willing to give up their rights way too easily.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyokKFIecIo

I watched this years ago and recently refused a search of my car by a police officer. It worked like a charm, he threatened dogs and jail but I held my ground and he eventually gave up the notion. You put so much more burden of proof on the Prosecutor because they have to justify non-consent searches in court.

And then tell the LP, "Do you feel lucky? Go ahead, make my day." :D

because they so know you're going to blow them away in public over a simple question...... :rolleyes: how dumb is that....since when does carrying a gun turn you into some sort of unstoppable force...it doesnt, that line of thinking can get you killed

because they so know you're going to blow them away in public over a simple question...... :rolleyes: how dumb is that....since when does carrying a gun turn you into some sort of unstoppable force...it doesnt, that line of thinking can get you killed

meant to quote this guy, i quoted a quote on accident and the unability to edit posts made in a news thread is really annoying and pointless k thanks

I watched this years ago and recently refused a search of my car by a police officer. It worked like a charm, he threatened dogs and jail but I held my ground and he eventually gave up the notion. You put so much more burden of proof on the Prosecutor because they have to justify non-consent searches in court.

Exactly and whatever they find if not within the bounds of probable cause, will be nearly by definition thrown out and inadmissible as evidence.

Many people in LP and other forms of pseudo-security like to use their "authority" to throw their weight around and force people to do what they want in order that they can enjoy a power trip. They are bullies who like to intimidate others. They would also be very likely to drop their attitude when they see that someone has taken steps to ensure that reason, not force, must be used to deal with them.

Because if LP has a reason to stop you, the gun might not do anything, but get the LEO's called first (and you better hope he knows about OC laws, or you are in for a real fun time)

If you know OC laws, and the police violate those laws, they are in for a real fun time as soon as you file suit against them in court. They've already experienced that here in Wisconsin.

This person was upset :p

81250926.jpg
Getting a prime parking spot at BB FTW! :cool:

meant to quote this guy, i quoted a quote on accident and the unability to edit posts made in a news thread is really annoying and pointless k thanks
I was going to say my comment was a joke, but yeah, I hear you about the inability to edit posts in this sub-forum. It's probably the most annoying thing about [H], not that Kyle cares about my opinion. :p

If you know OC laws, and the police violate those laws, they are in for a real fun time as soon as you file suit against them in court. They've already experienced that here in Wisconsin.

LEO can do allot and still in the eyes of the court do nothing wrong, even more so when it has to do with OC. Now, if they disarmed you (for no reason) and cuffed you or put you in the cruiser (aka being arrested) then yes, you have grounds for lawsuit (in most OC states), but with OC cases it is far harder to find someone to take the case then a mishap with LP over stepping their power. Because LP still fall under strict liability, LEO do not, and are given a wide grace area with actions by the court, that is unless you plan on spending allot on taking the police department to court. I always hope people fight for their rights, and I always have LOCAL (Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League) fliers with me.

But, this has nothing to do with your first comment, that I replied to, which was to make use of a states OC law to go into BB and kill the power trip of some LP, who is giving you a hard time, rather than contacting the store and sorting it out with management, or taking the problem to court if it can not be settled outside of it. Just like the store I had a problem with and was asked to leave, because it was "store policy that guns are not allowed", even though he could not show that policy anywhere, I did not argue or make a scene, I just left, called the store and headquarters and they stated there was no such policy and that the person would be notified, since then I have had no problems in the store. A bit of respect and and level headedness (even if it's only one sided) can go a long way, us open carriers have the responsibility of taking the high road, and not devolving into posturing like they are.

I will not be replying more, as I think my point was made and stands, and this is getting more and more off topic. I hope (if you OC) you stay safe and take care not to harm a very shaky right we have right now.

One thing I like to do at best buy is buy something then return it before the 15day policy is up and then go back the next day and buy the same item again because it was discounted as an open item. Yes, I'm cheap.

One thing I like to do at best buy is buy something then return it before the 15day policy is up and then go back the next day and buy the same item again because it was discounted as an open item. Yes, I'm cheap.

lolfraud (of some type, I'm guessing)

They are breaking the law, at least where I live they are. They can't search you, and asking to see your receipt is a search, until after you leave the store and only if they suspect you of stealing from them.

Back