Why Best Buy Checks Your Receipt

They are breaking the law, at least where I live they are. They can't search you, and asking to see your receipt is a search, until after you leave the store and only if they suspect you of stealing from them.

Is asking someone what time it is a search? Don't be dumb, asking anyone anything isn't a search.

They are breaking the law, at least where I live they are. They can't search you, and asking to see your receipt is a search, until after you leave the store and only if they suspect you of stealing from them.

Unless they physically take your receipt against your will, or go into your bags/boxes and look for it, it is not a search. People in this thread that have a problem with a receipt check are just looking for something to bitch about. There is absolutely no reason why you can't show your receipt if you have nothing to hide. If you didn't steal anything, then show your receipt for 5 seconds and be on your way.

Best Buy? They aren't as notorious as Walmart is at checking receipts.... I walk behind people then shoot out quick from behind them for the main door with my stuff (usually one bag with <5 items)

Then when the "front lines" hand their receipts, BOOOOM I'm off their backs and headed eyes-locked forward to the front. Sometimes its better if youre holding your cell phone in case they yell for you to come back, so you just act like you don't hear them :D

Er, no? In every walmart or best buy there is at LEAST one or two people at the doors checking receipts only, as well as items in your bag sometimes if its holiday season and there's lots of people. They will just randomly pick a person and sometimes even count all the items (items in your walmart bag that is)

Theft is pretty rampant at Best Buy (at least the ones in this state). A friend of mine told me about a guy who walked into the store with his girlfriend, made beeline to the Macbook Pro laptops, while she went to check out digital cameras. She "accidentally" set off the alarms on the display units, so employees were misdirected while he grabbed a Macbook Pro display model and walked out the store with it hidden in his jacket. So I would say the receipt checkers/fraud preventers aren't doing a good job.

Is asking someone what time it is a search? Don't be dumb, asking anyone anything isn't a search.

It's not quite the same, if you are asking someone what time it is, they have a CHOICE not to tell you. If on the other hand a store employee is asking to see your receipt, they are essentially suggesting you HAVE to do it, that you have to obey their command.

It seems like a slight thing, but I for one don't like being treated like a puppet, and don't like the general principle that a merchant has so much distrust for their customers that they should be scrutinized for shoplifting when leaving. The difference to me is probable cause, don't treat people like criminals before they have done anything wrong!

You think best buy checking a receipt is bad. Try activating a store credit card. Best buy tries whatever they can to get you to sign up for shit even on their activation line. After going through the automated prompts it transfers you to a customer service agent and they continue to try to upsell services even though you had already declined them the day you signed up for the card. Fucking annoying as hell.

I don't see what the problem is. I've worked for best buy and theft is a HUGE problem. I have been there when people have picked up laptops and walked run out the door. Seriously, there is theft at every single store every single day.

I mean seriously who cares if you have to show your receipt. I keep mine out and when they see that I have it ready they don't even ask to see it.

The one thing that does bother me is when I pay for my item ten feet from the front door, the guy at the door sees me pay, but still asks for my receipt? WTF, did I steal something right in front of you? You just saw me pay for my items.

frankly there are so many things i hate about best buy the receipt checking is my lowest priority. Go ahead check away im not hiding anything, just dont expect me to buy much until your prices become more reasonable.

Best Buy? They aren't as notorious as Walmart is at checking receipts.... I walk behind people then shoot out quick from behind them for the main door with my stuff (usually one bag with <5 items)

Then when the "front lines" hand their receipts, BOOOOM I'm off their backs and headed eyes-locked forward to the front. Sometimes its better if youre holding your cell phone in case they yell for you to come back, so you just act like you don't hear them :D

I had someone chase me into the parking lot once when I did this. I told the store clerk to fuck off and call the cops if he thinks I stole something. Then I was deeply embarrassed when I realize almost 10 people were around and I just became "that guy" getting run down in a parking lot :(

This is really an absurd argument. Show them your receipt for all of 2-3 seconds and go on your way. If you didn't do anything wrong then nothing is going to happen and you can continue on to use/destroy whatever you purchased.

It isn't that big a damn deal.

What if I just don't want to stop again after shopping, waiting in line, then checking out? I just say "no thanks". That isn't rude, is it?

If the cashier fails to deactivate the beepy thing on my purchase and it beeps when I go out the door I generally don't stop for that either.

I had someone chase me into the parking lot once when I did this. I told the store clerk to fuck off and call the cops if he thinks I stole something. Then I was deeply embarrassed when I realize almost 10 people were around and I just became "that guy" getting run down in a parking lot :(

Yeah, too bad - no need to be rude about it. Even if they're a little rude to me, I'll try to stay cool and just say "no thanks" again, or "I'm fine, I don't need anything from you, bye."

You whine about high prices and you whine about theft prevention techniques. Good job guys.

Yeah, too bad - no need to be rude about it. Even if they're a little rude to me, I'll try to stay cool and just say "no thanks" again, or "I'm fine, I don't need anything from you, bye."

Loss Prevention is not allowed to chase anyone out of the store. It becomes a liability for the company and they should have been terminated.

Loss Prevention is not allowed to chase anyone out of the store. It becomes a liability for the company and they should have been terminated.

I think it varies from store to store. It is based on how far their insurance covers their employees. At the first BB I worked at we couldn't go past the sidewalk or the insurance wouldn't cover us if we were injured or if we injured someone. I believe that the insurance is also different for different employees which is why they are so anal about having warehouse guys help people take stuff out to people's vehicles.

Unless they physically take your receipt against your will, or go into your bags/boxes and look for it, it is not a search. People in this thread that have a problem with a receipt check are just looking for something to bitch about. There is absolutely no reason why you can't show your receipt if you have nothing to hide. If you didn't steal anything, then show your receipt for 5 seconds and be on your way.

Looks like this sums up the thread right here.

Considering that stores can reject your returns at will I think I would rather have that mark on there just in case I want to return the item. Manager might be in a mood that day to just not take your item back because you were a dick about the receipt mark. I still disagree with the practice, and makes me wonder about those stupid RFID alarms that go off constantly, I don't stop for those ever anymore, nobody seems to care either.

just flash them your damn receipt and get on your way...this isn't like getting groped by the TSA :rolleyes:

Actually it's the other way around, with the LP staffers who think they can detain you if you don't volunteer your goods for no reason. Next we have the people with brains actually discussing the laws related to it, pointing out how the LP staffers are wrong. Then we have the faustian group saying "If you don't have any joooz in your basement, let the SS search your house!"

/godwin

Sounds like you'd consent to police searching your car.

That's totally different because your car is your property. You are shopping in a store that is not. A better analogy is whether or not the police have a right to have you walk through a metal detector on the way into a police station.

Sounds like you'd consent to police searching your car.

Sure, why not? I have the right to refuse if I please. But why make waves when I have nothing to hide? And don't start spewing anything about protecting my rights to me. I'm not trying to tell anyone how to live here, but seriously...the only people I ever see having a problem with a receipt check are pompous, big headed jerks that feel like they're better than everyone else and think they have an intelligence level that should preclude them from having to lower themselves to consenting to a receipt check. I work retail, we don't do receipt checks, but I guarantee you, most of you people that are complaining about them have no idea that amount of money stores like mine lose to theft month to month. Why can't you just be cool about it, show your receipt and be on your way? It has more to do with people wanting to make waves and make a scene than it does with rights being violated or whatever crap has been posted in this thread.

I don't see what the problem is. I've worked for best buy and theft is a HUGE problem. I have been there when people have picked up laptops and walked run out the door. Seriously, there is theft at every single store every single day.

I mean seriously who cares if you have to show your receipt. I keep mine out and when they see that I have it ready they don't even ask to see it.

The one thing that does bother me is when I pay for my item ten feet from the front door, the guy at the door sees me pay, but still asks for my receipt? WTF, did I steal something right in front of you? You just saw me pay for my items.
Yeah, I agree that I don't mind when they want to check the receipt. Just like I don't mind when the checkout chick asks to see my ID at certain stores when I pay my CC. In fact, I prefer that b/c that means it lowers the chance of someone using a stolen CC.

About the last part of what you said, the receipt checker probably has to do so otherwise some can say he was discriminating by only looking at receipts from some people but not all. After all, where would the cut-off be? Within 10'? 15'? You see, it's hard to determine that, so the policy might be to check everyone's receipt, even if he knows as 100% fact that the customer didn't steal anything.

Yeah, I agree that I don't mind when they want to check the receipt. Just like I don't mind when the checkout chick asks to see my ID at certain stores when I pay my CC. In fact, I prefer that b/c that means it lowers the chance of someone using a stolen CC.

About the last part of what you said, the receipt checker probably has to do so otherwise some can say he was discriminating by only looking at receipts from some people but not all. After all, where would the cut-off be? Within 10'? 15'? You see, it's hard to determine that, so the policy might be to check everyone's receipt, even if he knows as 100% fact that the customer didn't steal anything.

Having worked in retail, and also shopped in retail stores, of course, I don't mind a policy like this at all. In my opinion it gives me peace of mined knowing I only take out what I've paid for. I once went shopping at Walmart and forgot to check an item underneath. The store employees forgot, too, but I didn't realize it until I got home and reviewed the receipt, as I usually do in the store, but was too busy with the kids at the time. It was a large item and sometimes they just leave it down there and scan it where it's at. They missed this one. I drove all the way back to the store to pay for it. They were grateful, of course, and I had the peace of mind knowing I didn't take anything that wasn't mine.

Just like a self checkout, they trust you to do honest business with them. It's easy to cheat the system here a little and there a little, if you want, but ultimately the honesty between both parties will ultimately benefit both parties.

Low theft = lower costs and better pay for employees. I don't know a business where this isn't the case, and if walmart had checked my receipt that day, they would've saved me a trip in order to pay for a particular item. In fact, when I worked in retail, checking a customer's receipt actually saved them money. A product they purchased rang up at the wrong price, and when I pointed it out to them, they were more than happy to go back to the checkout for the partial refund.

It's such a minor inconvenience that ultimately benefits all parties, and even though the stuff in the bags is likely your property, you're still on store grounds and I don't mind that they safeguard their assets.

And your property is located on someone else's property...what's your point?

So was your car... you have no point.

Sure, why not? I have the right to refuse if I please. But why make waves when I have nothing to hide?

Just because you consent to something, it would be foolish to think you can assume we are all so loose to bend over for anything that wants to probe us. It is not "making waves", THEY did that when they chose to stop customers when leaving. Refusing to put up with anal retentive types may seem like more work in the short term but it is the only reason they stay in check in the long term.

Give up one freedom you don't mind losing, then give up the next, and the next, and soon enough it does matter to you like it already did to others.

I feel you don't seem to understand something. We do not agree to A N Y T H I N G no matter how slight or great, no matter how unimportant or terrible it seems, except to pay X amount of money for some product.

Want to search me? Show a judge you have probable cause and get a warrant.

If a joe on the street can't DEMAND I prove something, neither can a store without that warrant. Some are confused that it isn't a search... call it what you will but it is still a command and unless you are their property yourself, it is wrong to ever assume someone is going to obey your command no matter how insignificant you assume that command is.

Anyone who wants to assume you will put up with their demand without any discussion or compromise on their part = asshole.

Having worked in retail, and also shopped in retail stores, of course, I don't mind a policy like this at all. In my opinion it gives me peace of mined knowing I only take out what I've paid for.

Well, most of us can manage to figure out if all the items we have were on the checkout counter.

Are you kidding? Are you really serious? Really? No. It isn't possible.

I once went shopping at Walmart and forgot to check an item underneath. The store employees forgot, too, but I didn't realize it until I got home and reviewed the receipt, as I usually do in the store, but was too busy with the kids at the time. It was a large item and sometimes they just leave it down there and scan it where it's at. They missed this one. I drove all the way back to the store to pay for it. They were grateful, of course, and I had the peace of mind knowing I didn't take anything that wasn't mine.

Actually, they are hourly waged employees and didn't really care one way or the other, in fact you made their day worse for having to deal with the issue in addition to the rest of their work. Sorry, but this is pretty much fact.

Just like a self checkout, they trust you to do honest business with them. It's easy to cheat the system here a little and there a little, if you want, but ultimately the honesty between both parties will ultimately benefit both parties.

... which is the honor system, the opposite of stopping people to check receipts.

Low theft = lower costs and better pay for employees.

That is an unfounded and untrue statement based on most and probably all points of view. Fact is, walmarts, Best Buys, etc, do not pay particularly well for their hourly grunt labor.

I don't know a business where this isn't the case,

Then you don't know any businesses, are insane, or are just flat out lying. Theft loss effects the profits, but seldom the wages of the bottom rung employees which are generally paid the least amount possible.

and if walmart had checked my receipt that day, they would've saved me a trip in order to pay for a particular item.

Nonsense. You claim you screwed up by not putting something on the checkout counter then try to act like it's a good thing if they violate your rights to correct your screwup.

If you can't "get" shopping, don't.

In fact, when I worked in retail, checking a customer's receipt actually saved them money. A product they purchased rang up at the wrong price, and when I pointed it out to them, they were more than happy to go back to the checkout for the partial refund.

IF that happens to me once in a lifetime, which it hasn't so far and I doubt it ever will, it doesn't make up for a lifetime of being harassed at the exit to show a receipt for things I bought.

It's such a minor inconvenience that ultimately benefits all parties, and even though the stuff in the bags is likely your property, you're still on store grounds and I don't mind that they safeguard their assets.

It is not their assets. What is on the shelves is.

You should punch them in the face as you walk out, just to be sure they understand how mad you get about nothing.

J.C., if you have such a problem with it, then don't shop at BB. It's as simple as that. No one should be forcing you to shop there.

Having worked in retail, and also shopped in retail stores, of course, I don't mind a policy like this at all. In my opinion it gives me peace of mined knowing I only take out what I've paid for. I once went shopping at Walmart and forgot to check an item underneath. The store employees forgot, too, but I didn't realize it until I got home and reviewed the receipt, as I usually do in the store, but was too busy with the kids at the time. It was a large item and sometimes they just leave it down there and scan it where it's at. They missed this one. I drove all the way back to the store to pay for it. They were grateful, of course, and I had the peace of mind knowing I didn't take anything that wasn't mine.

Low theft = lower costs and better pay for employees. I don't know a business where this isn't the case, and if walmart had checked my receipt that day, they would've saved me a trip in order to pay for a particular item. In fact, when I worked in retail, checking a customer's receipt actually saved them money. A product they purchased rang up at the wrong price, and when I pointed it out to them, they were more than happy to go back to the checkout for the partial refund.

That was nice of you to go back and pay for it, esp. the same day. I know what you mean about feeling guilty about taking something that wasn't yours. Kudos to you, although I probably would've waited until the next time I was in the area.

I like the self-checkout registers at my grocery store. That's probably the best thing since sliced bread. Hell, I pay for sliced bread via self checkout register. :cool:

Give up one freedom you don't mind losing, then give up the next, and the next, and soon enough it does matter to you like it already did to others

Right. That's how it all starts. "First they came for our receipts, and I did not speak out because I was in a hurry."

They usually don't even bother me, for some reason. Once the alarm went off when I was walking out the door between the scanners, I stepped back in, showed my recipt and the contents of the bag, and that was that. I didn't think it was a big deal, since it isn't the first time I've seen that happen.

At the BB store where I live, they aren't assholes or rude or anything, they are just doing their job, nothing more. I don't see the big deal.

What I hate more than that is being CARDED. I am almost 29 years old, I look every bit like someone my age should look like. I've gotten carded at Wal Mart for movies and games a few times, it's annoying as hell.

That annoys me far more than a receipt check should.

I've seen people lose their jobs for not carding people. The cops will send a minor in to buy something and if you sell it to them, Wal-mart gets a fine and if it's cigarettes, they get a BIG fine. The policy on most things at Wal-mart is "if you look like you're under 40." So just be happy you still look under 40 ;).

They usually don't even bother me, for some reason. Once the alarm went off when I was walking out the door between the scanners, I stepped back in, showed my recipt and the contents of the bag, and that was that. I didn't think it was a big deal, since it isn't the first time I've seen that happen.

At the BB store where I live, they aren't assholes or rude or anything, they are just doing their job, nothing more. I don't see the big deal.

What I hate more than that is being CARDED. I am almost 29 years old, I look every bit like someone my age should look like. I've gotten carded at Wal Mart for movies and games a few times, it's annoying as hell.

That annoys me far more than a receipt check should.

Wal-Mart's official policy is to card anyone under 40, and some things require that an ID number is entered. Some town also require everyone to be carded which is the case where I live. It's always good times when a out of townee gets all huffy over it as if it's not obvious that they are older than 21.

Wal-Mart's official policy is to card anyone under 40, and some things require that an ID number is entered. Some town also require everyone to be carded which is the case where I live. It's always good times when a out of townee gets all huffy over it as if it's not obvious that they are older than 21.

They get even more "huffy" when they have an expired license which technically isn't a valid license. I've declined sales because of expired licenses.

They don't always card me, most of the people who work there know me and don't bother, but the few times I have gotten carded, it is annoying. I do not buy cigs or anything there, just movies and games.

You guys should throw massive fits, they are infringing on our forefathers and your constitutional rights by not correctly guessing your age.

I went and bought Red Dead Redemption last night at Wal Mart, didn't get carded :p

I like when I get carded. When businesses card it means children aren't buying adult material without parental consent. Kids shouldn't be playing nuke dukem, RDR, etc, and it two seconds of our time to ensure that our hobby isn't ruined by people saying it's hurting kids.

Back