Why 'Arrogant Jerks' Become Rich And Successful In Silicon Valley

HardOCP News

[H] News
Wait, does being "a huge jerk" come before or after becoming rich and successful in Silicon Valley?

There's a notion that some people become successful company founders because they have the right "Startup DNA." The DNA is comprised of characteristics like "resilience" and "ability to accept risk." Another characteristic many top entrepreneurs share is arrogance. Or worse, just being a huge jerk.

I heard a story a couple of weeks back on NPR about how many of the most successful leaders, in any industry, share a number of characteristics with psychopaths.

So yeah, no surprise here.

I read the article as:

"I have thin skin and I'm upset that people who are mean to me make a ton more money."

I hope they know that often-times their tears only feed the successful billionaires, if their whining is even noticed at all.

I read the article as:

"I have thin skin and I'm upset that people who are mean to me make a ton more money."

I hope they know that often-times their tears only feed the successful billionaires, if their whining is even noticed at all.
The article isn't whiny at all. It is in fact possible to write a non-emotional yet critical article about wealthy narcissists.

To grow any business and keep it successful you need to be able to make hard and sometimes ruthless decisions. That could mean screwing over someone you consider a friend outside of the office or it could mean firing a whole lot of people. Nice guys usually have a hard time doing that sort of thing. Where the successful CEO is a "jerk" or not is debatable, but he certainly has to be able to make hard decisions and stick to them when the anger and vitriol starts flowing. Even some of the guys that look to be really nice and personable (Branson) are still making the hard calls in the back room that result in layoffs or cutting people out of profits. They just do a better job out of the boardroom of showing their other side.

As an example, how many people liked Gates while he was still CEO of Microsoft? You could probably count them on one hand. But, since he's "retired" he's one of the most likable guys on the go since now you're seeing the "at home" Bill Gates and not the "business" Bill Gates. Granted, some of them are jerks outside the office as well but not all of them have the same attitudes at home that they do at the office.

Being able to lead and make hard decisions does not make one a jerk. However, there are plenty of jerks (or psychopaths) running companies.

Let's face it, it's a lot easier to get ahead in business by being ruthless. Of course, that is a construct and there is no reason that morality couldn't be part of business.

Being able to lead and make hard decisions does not make one a jerk. However, there are plenty of jerks (or psychopaths) running companies.

Let's face it, it's a lot easier to get ahead in business by being ruthless. Of course, that is a construct and there is no reason that morality couldn't be part of business.
Well there kind of are reasons it can't be a part of business, our whole system is set up to reward psychopathic behavior. Major corporations are beholden to shareholders, who want to see growth year after year. How often have you seen shareholders object to the path a business was taking because it was unethical, but was making them a lot of money? The only time they care is when the downside affects the business in such a public way that it hurts revenue. The shareholders are frequently not the same people who are affected by business decisions either. If pollution gets outsourced to a far-end section of the world, that doesn't affect them directly. Basically what it comes down to is making money at any cost is psychopathic behavior. Sure you CAN exercise morality, but those companies often get overrun by the ones that don't, the system self-corrects.

"Another characteristic many top entrepreneurs share is arrogance. Or worse, just being a huge jerk."

Having lived in most parts of the state, I've found the chronic asshole phenomenon is almost strictly a Silicon Valley phenomenon. Everybody there seems to have something to prove. A SJ Merc poll (taken during the boom years no less) found over 40% of residents would leave immediately, if they could take their jobs with them. So nearly half the people don't want to be there at all.

Entrepreneurs ime (at least outside the Valley) are generally much friendlier and more satisfied than people who work to make others rich.

I am an arrogant jerk and I am neither rich nor successful. People of the world, why don't you just give me some of your money. Why can't I be like Cartman and get money for smiling while fucking you over. I need that money, world, please understand.

It's easier act a certain when you are being natural.

Aggressive people get results. I have slowly learned to embrace this over the course of my career.

Successful people practically rely on the fact that the majority of the population is complacent in the life they are given.

Most of the bay area cockbaskets are just that, cockbaskets. It isn't just their arrogance, it's their hubris and aggressive nature. They loathe and sneer at anyone they view as being what they perceive to be a lesser. Their lack of humility is manifold.

I heard a story a couple of weeks back on NPR about how many of the most successful leaders, in any industry, share a number of characteristics with psychopaths.

So yeah, no surprise here.

I was just reading about this myself. I was googling "psychopath" and "boss" at the same time.

Here is a good read: https://hbr.org/2014/01/is-your-boss-a-psychopath/

".....Some of these people rise to astonishing heights, but in the process they cause enormous damage. They can poison the workplace, putting the health of both their companies and staff at risk.

People who behave like this are what I call Seductive Operational Bullies (SOBs). Without going so far as to commit murder or arson, but unburdened by the pangs of conscience that moderate most people’s interactions with others, such people are “psychopaths lite.”

They can be found wherever power, status, or money is at stake. Outwardly normal, apparently successful and charming, their lack of empathy, shame, guilt, or remorse can have serious interpersonal repercussions and destroy organizations. Their chameleon-like qualities mean they often reach top executive positions, especially in organizations that appreciate impression management, corporate gamesmanship, risk taking, domination, competitiveness, and assertiveness."

"Seductive operational bullies are not blatantly violent or antisocial; their disturbing behavior is not so in your face. They can be hard to spot, due to their manipulative personalities; they are often “hidden in plain sight.” Indeed, many of the behaviors and qualities they exhibit, that indicate mental problems in other contexts, actually appear quite appropriate in senior executive positions."

"They are highly manipulative, discrediting others around them, deflecting the issue at hand when confronted. They will threaten and distort the facts, all the while presenting themselves as helpful and or working “for the good of the company.” They are very talented at hiding their true motives, while making others look incompetent, uncooperative, or self-serving. The only thing that counts for these people is to win. They prey on people’s emotional vulnerabilities."

"What if the psychopath is already on your staff? If you see talented people leaving a project or a company, that may be a sign. A red flag should also go up if there are glaring discrepancies between how direct reports and junior employees perceive an executive and how that executive’s peers or boss perceive him or her. Lower-level employees are often on the receiving end of a boss’s psychopathic behavior and usually spot a problem much sooner than senior management. "

"Finally, if you are so unfortunate as to have a psychopath as your boss or even as CEO of the company, recognize that you are unlikely to be able to get him or her to change. Attempting an ouster is likely to be difficult and will jeopardize your own career. In this case, the best course is not to stick around but to cut your losses, and move on."

-----------

I have been at the same company for a bit over 3 years. It's a manufacturing company, and there are roughly 15 people in the office. There are others in the plant area, but I'll just stick to the office. So far I've seen 16 people quit or be fired in this time. Most quit. Several walked out on the spot, no notice at all. The main managers are still the same, so turnover is insane. Our company is owned by a bigger company and there is no HR at our location, just at the corporate office, so management can pretty much do as they please. Bullying, harassment, twisting facts, outright lying, etc are commonplace. I'm realizing I need to follow the conclusion of the article......

Maybe this article can help others as well.

I worked at a place, not a tech company but with a person with the same mindset, he "built" the business himself with a small loan of a million dollars from his folks. In the 5 years that he has needed employees he had gone through 20 that was two years ago not sure how many since then, he only needs three employees by the way, he exhibits all of the qualities talked about here it is sad that these people succeed.

Wow, have people drunk so much koolaid that they really believe in the nice-guy myth? The modern world was literally built by rapists and murderers. Be grateful they're only "assholes" and "jerks" now.

Sadly the truth. It seems in this world it's the evil people that are successful. Look at all the megacorporation/CEOs. Some of the most evil companies are also the most wealthy. They did not get that way without stepping on people's toes and ruining people's lives.

I worked for this insane IT manager once. Complete moron tech wise, also a huge asshole and very manipulative. He still managed to make like over 100k per year. Just the way it is, this world is not fair and not much can be done about it.

yes, usually nice guys finish last.

jerks get rich..... until someone stabs them in the back.

I sometimes wonder how easy it would be to kill that jerkface Kim Jong Un. Any of the people close to him could cap his fat ass

As long as you are willing to commit an endless string of unethical and immoral actions you have a great potential for financial success.

If you happen to have a developed sense of ethics, seeking wealth becomes a long series of "no - I couldn't possibly support or do that".

Maybe this article can help others as well.

Just by reading your quoted sections.. that is terribly accurate and makes many of my thoughts over the years seem pretty valid (i always try to be fair and just to a fault).

I am going to read your link for sure! I also work in manufacturing and echo many of the things you say (unfortunately). *sigh*

yes, usually nice guys finish last.

There is a part of me that just can't believe this sentiment. Sure sometimes it may be the case. But if you add a dash of "smart" (life smart.. not 2+2 smart) to the "nice".. then the nice guy doesn't have to finish last. he can finish "happy" and that can involve avoiding as many of the assholes as possible, while at least making a decent living and getting by. :)

Sometimes though.. its difficult to avoid the assholes. But i guess that's where awesome hobbies come in play and may help you through the day. ;)

There is a part of me that just can't believe this sentiment. Sure sometimes it may be the case. But if you add a dash of "smart" (life smart.. not 2+2 smart) to the "nice".. then the nice guy doesn't have to finish last. he can finish "happy" and that can involve avoiding as many of the assholes as possible, while at least making a decent living and getting by. :)

Sometimes though.. its difficult to avoid the assholes. But i guess that's where awesome hobbies come in play and may help you through the day. ;)

I agree with this. Really it just comes down to what you assign value to. The best way to avoid being bothered by any of this is to not assign so much value to money and assign more value to happiness. While money matters there are diminishing returns when it comes to happiness.

I mostly just feel sad for people who assign so much value to money in their lives. I have friends and family that really think their self worth is tied to how much money they make, and the worst part about it is it is reflected in how they treat others. They tend to think they are better than those who make less and treat those people like shit, and those who make more are to be envied regardless of their character. Its sad.

8du8,

Indeed. Some very good points that i've often said myself. They look down on others but in actual fact, as far as i'm concerned.. they are the lesser man/woman.

"Arrogant jerks" become rich and successful because they focus on logic and solutions, rather than political correctness, emotions, and do not wallow in problems. I wouldn't call, the few I have known "arrogant jerks" I would just say they didn't have time for the bullshit.

Does Kyle fit into this category of "leadership"?

*runs & hides in a bunker - far away from the mythical banhammer*

As long as you are willing to commit an endless string of unethical and immoral actions you have a great potential for financial success.

If you happen to have a developed sense of ethics, seeking wealth becomes a long series of "no - I couldn't possibly support or do that".

'leaders' also get all the hot chicks. Women are attracted to not just the money but the status position as well and don't care much how a guy gets there. Quite unashamed about it really if you can a woman opens up about it. Sometimes wonder if there's a short circuit and jerks are assumed to be leaders which explains the "why is she with him..." relationships people don't understand.

Back