Why are you buying Duke Nukem Forever?

• A throwback to the old days for single player

Votes: 66 53.7%
  • A throwback to the old days for multiplayer

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • I'm buying it for both reasons

Votes: 53 43.1%

• Total voters
Singleplayer. Haven't had anything close to Duke 3D in over a decade and I'm anxious for some hilarious and low-brow FPS gameplay.

Last edited:
I voted both. I'm HUNGRY for a old skool fps (quake guy here) so im looking for that, but I also wanna play thru a good single player campaign for once too thats FUN and not set in IRAQ for fucks sake. The war is over.

I'm buying it because I want to play it. Believe it or not, I really didn't like Duke Nukem 3D at all. I thought it was lame and cheesy, and the graphics and audio were absolutely terrible.

I'm buying it because I want to play it. Believe it or not, I really didn't like Duke Nukem 3D at all. I thought it was lame and cheesy, and the graphics and audio were absolutely terrible.

I'm curious, what were you comparing it to when released that had so much better graphics and audio (can't remember what else was released around that time). You did play it when it was first released, right? If you played it years after, then yeah, it's a pile of shit comparatively speaking.

I agree on the cheesy part, it was very cheesy. But I think it was trying to be.

Anyway, I'll make up my mind for purchase of the new one after I play the demo.

I'm not really expecting a "throwback" to old gaming at all... I'm expecting a modern FPS shooter with Duke.

So yeah I'm buying it because of the Duke and the Babes.

I'm curious, what were you comparing it to when released that had so much better graphics and audio (can't remember what else was released around that time). You did play it when it was first released, right? If you played it years after, then yeah, it's a pile of shit comparatively speaking.

^ this,

Duke 3d Looked Great (better than any Doom engine game) and Ran like a bat out of hell and had support for vesa graphics up to 1024x768 that shit was amazing. Quake (which came out the same year) couldn't stand up to it graphically Until they released GLQuake (which required a OpenGL compliant video adapter, (Not very common at the time)).

I voted both. I'm HUNGRY for a old skool fps (quake guy here) so im looking for that, but I also wanna play thru a good single player campaign for once too thats FUN and not set in IRAQ for fucks sake. The war is over.

I really don't think it's going to be a throwback to old school FPS in anything other than the skin. I guarantee it will have that wonderfully consolized feel to it--all games do nowadays.

The bust of Duke that comes with the 'Balls of Steel' edition should be reason enough. :p

Its Duke Nukem.....thats all I need to buy this game.

I have been gaming since Wolfenstein 3D....im old school, and I want this old school game.

DUKE! The real satisfaction of buying this game just comes from owning a piece of history. I was talking with a friend and we agreed that the game could be total rubbish and we wouldn't feel disappointed.

Gearbox deserves my money for making the impossible happen. I'm buying it...just because I can really. I have no idea about the singleplayer or multiplayer, just that it has DUKE!

I think it's going to be a great game, but this is one I'm going to be waiting on reviews for to see if it's worth getting.

I forgot to add that I want to give money to hookers again too.

Ahhh the memories (in the duke voice) "wanna dance?"

its all about the single player.. if it has multiplayer cool, but i want the single player.. duke nukem 3D was the shiznit when i was a kid..

Duke 3D was fun and I was looking forward to DNF when it was first announced. However, that has turned into a morbid fascination with the game, so I need see how it turned out. 12 years, one of the most joked about games in gaming history, then it was cancelled, then saved, etc., etc., etc. I need to find out for myself what misshapen, grotesque game will rise from the ashes. It's going to be an experience. There's a slim chance it'll turn out to be decent too, so it's a win-win.

Duke 3D was fun and I was looking forward to DNF when it was first announced. However, that has turned into a morbid fascination with the game, so I need see how it turned out. 12 years, one of the most joked about games in gaming history, then it was cancelled, then saved, etc., etc., etc. I need to find out for myself what misshapen, grotesque game will rise from the ashes. It's going to be an experience. There's a slim chance it'll turn out to be decent too, so it's a win-win.

That statement right there pretty much sums it up for me as well. Since it's being developed by Gearbox, I would say chances are pretty decent that it will be a good game...especially with 16 to18 hours of singleplayer. I got a lot of hours out of Borderlands so hopefully I will get the same out of this, too (considering it has multiplayer).

I'b buying it because I need something to be enthusiastic about. So much about gaming these days gets me down, I need something to believe in. What better symbol could I ask for but the Duke ?

I'm not, until I hear positive feedback on it. I've already been stung once this year to the tune of a full-price title because I put my faith in a developer and concept I was confident in (Brink, which I can't even launch to form an opinion on. Though in their defense that might be because my GPU is outdated, since it's an OpenGL error I get).

I'm not, until I hear positive feedback on it. I've already been stung once this year to the tune of a full-price title because I put my faith in a developer and concept I was confident in (Brink, which I can't even launch to form an opinion on. Though in their defense that might be because my GPU is outdated, since it's an OpenGL error I get).

What GPU do you have ?

Jelly try setting your display mode to compatibility mode or single display mode if you are using an nvidia card.

That statement right there pretty much sums it up for me as well. Since it's being developed by Gearbox, ... especially with 16 to18 hours of singleplayer.

Gearbox had very little to do with the single player, they basically rescued it after it was 95% finished, handled multiplayer and console porting, but I don't doubt that it's amazing, because the first one was great and it was part of my gaming history, and 3D Realms was awesome.

I'm buying the BOS edition strictly because of nostalgia to the first one, otherwise I would get a regular edition, and also in my support of gearbox, especially since Randy Pitchford is a really cool guy, and completely humble about reasons to bring this game to light. I am willing to throw some green at him, and companies like Gearbox.

I wish they would make a Shadow Warrior Forever.

Gearbox had very little to do with the single player, they basically rescued it after it was 95% finished, handled multiplayer and console porting, but I don't doubt that it's amazing, because the first one was great and it was part of my gaming history, and 3D Realms was awesome.

I'm buying the BOS edition strictly because of nostalgia to the first one, otherwise I would get a regular edition, and also in my support of gearbox, especially since Randy Pitchford is a really cool guy, and completely humble about reasons to bring this game to light. I am willing to throw some green at him, and companies like Gearbox.

I wish they would make a Shadow Warrior Forever.

Yea I had forgotten the fact it was mostly finished lol. It's still good to see this revived and close to being out. I really can't wait lol.

I voted both but I'm pretty sure the multiplayer will be a ghost town in a month or so after release. Honestly, the only reason I'm buying the game is because it's cheap in my country and it's Duke Nukem Forever, the iconic joke of the last decade. It looks kind of meh from the videos I've seen so far and I can safely say that, had this been a new I.P. or something, I would have probably ignored it.

Where's the "I'm not buying Duke Nukem" option? I understand why people like the franchise but for me, the joke gets old quickly.

The new graphics and engine don't look too great either, major consolitis...the only consolation is 3D boobs in HD.

I am betting the game sucks so bad that everyone here who bought/buys it, is going to cry great rivers of tears, which I shall bathe while laughing manically.

Back