Why Are Videogame Bodies So Extreme?

"What about someone that want's to be overweight and a hero"

Unless they are taking bullets to save a kid, there's no way you're going to have an overweight action hero. I'm all for putting non gross obese characters in games, but lets make it realistic as well, a short sprint and you're done running etc.

Not sure why they want to justify that it's ok to be unhealthy and eat garbage food, if they want to do it properly; start off with an overweight character struggling with some sort of issue, bullying as an example, that slowly gets in shape over the course of the game due to exercise(action) and reduced food intake, that I could easily see happening in say something like Last of Us would be a good example.

...Take a look at some of his other videos.

Even if the rest of his videos prove he's a sjw shill, fact is this one was perfectly reasonable. The only ones looking like nutjobs and assholes are the ones raging about this video. If you are stepping down to their level and refusing to acknowledge a reasonable and rational argument when presented, then you are just as bad as the ones you are railing against.

so being "fat" is now called having a "diverse bodytype" in hipster language? what the fuck?

"What about someone that want's to be overweight and a hero"

Unless they are taking bullets to save a kid, there's no way you're going to have an overweight action hero. I'm all for putting non gross obese characters in games, but lets make it realistic as well, a short sprint and you're done running etc.

Not sure why they want to justify that it's ok to be unhealthy and eat garbage food, if they want to do it properly; start off with an overweight character struggling with some sort of issue, bullying as an example, that slowly gets in shape over the course of the game due to exercise(action) and reduced food intake, that I could easily see happening in say something like Last of Us would be a good example.

Yeah, realistic, like I want to be able to do barrel rolls down hills and slam through crowds. Maybe take a heart attack after or shit my pants.

You've run the site for 18 years, so I have to assume you're at least 35. Your attitude however, implies that you're barely out of high school.

This site has gone seriously downhill with the elitist bullshit attitudes, and it's easy to see why when the boss is leading the charge.

You don't like his opinion, fine. Doesn't mean he has to "shut the fuck up."

Hardocp is quickly losing relevance to me. I'll take my hardware news without a strong dose of bullshit elitism. Thankfully there's other sites that actually manage to present news in a professional manner.

Toodles, no one really cares if you think we're a bunch of elitist.

You've run the site for 18 years, so I have to assume you're at least 35. Your attitude however, implies that you're barely out of high school.

This site has gone seriously downhill with the elitist bullshit attitudes, and it's easy to see why when the boss is leading the charge.

Hardocp is quickly losing relevance to me. I'll take my hardware news without a strong dose of bullshit elitism. Thankfully there's other sites that actually manage to present news in a professional manner.

does white knighting work if it's a guy??

Toodles, no one really cares if you think we're a bunch of elitist.

You never know who might be part of the metrics that gets sold to advertisers to determine demographics for ad revenue. Less traffic means less money and eventually no website.

So yeah, I'd care about people expressing distaste for my website if I wanted to make money and be considered a respectful and reputable site.

You never know who might be part of the metrics that gets sold to advertisers to determine demographics for ad revenue. Less traffic means less money and eventually no website.

So yeah, I'd care about people expressing distaste for my website if I wanted to make money and be considered a respectful and reputable site.

I think you're thinking a little too much of yourself.

This website isn't going to go downhill because some of us express a opinion different than yours.

I think you're thinking a little too much of yourself.

This website isn't going to go downhill because some of us express a opinion different than yours.
I think you have no idea how advertising demographics are calculated. A Nielsen house counts for about 20,000 other households. So if someone who is part of that monitoring system decided to leave and never visit again, that counts as approximately 20,000 less visitors when the numbers are sold to advertisers.

I'm not trying to imply that I am part of such a program, but you clearly don't have a clue what you're talking about and need some education.

I also think you should learn to shut your mouth when it comes to telling others to go ahead and leave a website, when it isn't YOUR money that you're throwing away.

I think you have no idea how advertising demographics are calculated. A Nielsen house counts for about 20,000 other households. So if someone who is part of that monitoring system decided to leave and never visit again, that counts as approximately 20,000 less visitors when the numbers are sold to advertisers.

I'm not trying to imply that I am part of such a program, but you clearly don't have a clue what you're talking about and need some education.

I also think you should learn to shut your mouth when it comes to telling others to go ahead and leave a website, when it isn't YOUR money that you're throwing away.

Most of the videos that are linked are trolling click bait, and guess what it gives them huge viewer ship. So while you might think unprofessionalism is bad it sure as heck doesn't seem to lower clicks which is how websites are measured not by Nielsens joke rating system that is so broke it couldn't see growth of internet streaming taking over.

Most of the videos that are linked are trolling click bait, and guess what it gives them huge viewer ship. So while you might think unprofessionalism is bad it sure as heck doesn't seem to lower clicks which is how websites are measured not by Nielsens joke rating system that is so broke it couldn't see growth of internet streaming taking over.

The ratings industry doesn't predict, they report. I'm sorry to have to correct you on such a basic topic.

So what you are trying to imply is that you are effectively blackmailing [H]ardOCP into changing their stance to suit yours. Sounds about par for the course for SJWs.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

learn to shut my mouth? YOU VOLUNTARILY DECIDED YOU WERE GOING TO LEAVE.
I said toodles, did you want me to beg for your forgiveness and have you come back? No, you aren't special and nobody thinks you are.

Neilson family ratings aren't the basis for Google Ad's and link commission for products, I would know.... being a part of the Neilson Family....

Why are they so extreme?

Because it sells...was that so hard?

To be fair he actually made a pretty solid video and points. It didn't come across as any of the typical SJW bullshit in the least.

Except in all his naming of games did he mention Skyrim or any of Bethesda's big sellers?

Someone needs to do some segregation between US and perhaps Asian Developers and see how the lines and numbers stack up then.

I am pretty much almost always for more options to make your character look however you want. That's why I prefer character creators that let me get more of a look I prefer over some standard character set. That was the main reason I dropped the witcher 2, did not want to spend 40 hours staring at that fugly Geralt.

I don't care that women are portrayed as scantily clad, at all. I do think it would be nice if there were more frumpy plain looking options for the female social justice warrior kankle crowd to be sated, but again, I want people to be able to make their characters look however they wish. But for the in game characters you meet, deal with it. That is what the creator wanted to portray. Don't like it? Then become an animator and create your own or influence the companies from within. There are ugly and good looking characters in games, which do players gravitate towards? Perhaps people are more drawn to beauty (I know this is obvious but the neo feminists are quite slow), if that's the case then it makes sense to create more characters in that image to appeal to people unless the situation calls for a different look for gameplay/story reasons.

Come clean Trekari, it's not how HARDOCP presents news that has you in a twist, it's the forum posts which represent member discourse on discussion topics. HARDOCP never billed itself as a general industry IT site. HARDOCP is a gaming and enthusiast website. The real clientele here are neither normal, average, or consumerist people. HARDOCP caters to the over-the-top and the on-the-edge. If you don't fit that demographic then this just might not be the place for you. If you do, then it's possible that you still don't fit the norm and therefor why would you expect acceptance from a group which is neither diverse not specifically accepting?

A Soccer Mom in a Biker Bar just about covers it. Of course you aren't going to feel at home, your an alien.

So what you are trying to imply is that you are effectively blackmailing [H]ardOCP into changing their stance to suit yours. Sounds about par for the course for SJWs.

Not at all. Educating people has nothing to do with blackmail. Thanks for being an idiot on the Internet though who fails at logical arguments.

Strawman fallacy.

Come clean Trekari, it's not how HARDOCP presents news that has you in a twist, it's the forum posts which represent member discourse on discussion topics. HARDOCP never billed itself as a general industry IT site. HARDOCP is a gaming and enthusiast website. The real clientele here are neither normal, average, or consumerist people. HARDOCP caters to the over-the-top and the on-the-edge. If you don't fit that demographic then this just might not be the place for you. If you do, then it's possible that you still don't fit the norm and therefor why would you expect acceptance from a group which is neither diverse not specifically accepting?

A Soccer Mom in a Biker Bar just about covers it. Of course you aren't going to feel at home, your an alien.

Actually I initially came to bitch about Steve. More than once he has posted rather unprofessional news.

Only when I saw kyle's comment did I change my course.

Steve was a mistake from the start. Now I understand why he was hired.

It's strange because in my mind this paragraph describes you better than Kyle. You're the one being an elitist...

You're also telling Kyle not to voice his opinion.

I also can't fathom what kind of person would write the nonsense in this post.

Actually I initially came to bitch about Steve. More than once he has posted rather unprofessional news.

Good lord, where do you think you are? The New York Times? It's just a post attached to an impression of the folly of the video. That's so annoying to you that you find it unworthy of mention on the site?

This is the kind of thin skinned albino like aversion to any and every little thing that turns people off, the kind of attitude you have to walk on egg shells around lest the brittle sensibilities crumple into a ball.

It reminds of of the "safe spaces" some nutters created to let people come with opposing views on Brown.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/22/opinion/sunday/judith-shulevitz-hiding-from-scary-ideas.html

WTF? Steve is badass and his opinions actually mirror reality. It cracks me up when in one or two sentences, he can point out the flaws in products or statements put out by major corporations.

Not at all. Educating people has nothing to do with blackmail. Thanks for being an idiot on the Internet though who fails at logical arguments.

Strawman fallacy.

The only one being an idiot would be you and the only education you have done is shown how intolerant and petulant you can be when faced with an opinion different than yours.

trainn.jpg

It's strange because in my mind this paragraph describes you better than Kyle. You're the one being an elitist...

You're also telling Kyle not to voice his opinion.

I also can't fathom what kind of person would write the nonsense in this post.

I think Kyle should voice his opinion in a professional manner. Not anywhere in my posts have I said he cannot express himself.

I'm sorry if expecting professionalism from a website owner is somehow unsettling to you.

I think Kyle should voice his opinion in a professional manner. Not anywhere in my posts have I said he cannot express himself.

I'm sorry if expecting professionalism from a website owner is somehow unsettling to you.

I am sorry your feelings are so hurt. You'll also be the first person I've ever put on my ignore list. Good luck in your stalking and harassment of Kyle and Steve.

Today's society is a schizophrenic one. Fat is bad (Michelle Obama lunches, taxes on sodas), yet body shaming is now a thing (big is beautiful no matter how porkalicious.) Cigarettes are evil (smoking Nazis pretty much want them made illegal) yet marijuana is on its way to full legalization. Everything about modern feminism is confused and hypocritical if you don't read between the lines. The list of confusing mixed messages goes on and on and on.

The ratings industry doesn't predict, they report. I'm sorry to have to correct you on such a basic topic.

I am sorry let me clarify the rating industry didn't "report" the fall in viewer ship due to the internet because the dumb shits didn't have anyway for people to report that was what they were using. I know I was filling it out around that time and try as I might I couldn't properly fill most of their garbage out because it gave me no option to report what was happening.

Okay, I play a tubby, balding nerd in Real Life.

The framerates are great, and the antialiasing is getting better with time. But, general quality of play sucks, gratuitous sex (hell, sex PERIOD) is nonexistent and looking in the mirror requires preparation unless I want to scare myself to death.

Why in the name of FUCK would I want to duplicate that in another game?

One of my primary avatars is 8' tall, about 6' wide and has more muscles than an entire Mr. Universe lineup.

And, when I want to unabashedly stare at a woman's ass without getting assaulted by the cops and labelled a perv, I have female avatars built like solid gold brick shithouses. They never complain.

That's not to say I don't have avatars in some games that are more realistic in proportions.

But the whole idea of "escapist entertainment" is to (DUH!) *ESCAPE*!

Get over yourself.

There's something about this guy that makes me want to smash his face in.

Me too! I just got angrier and angrier as the video went on... not at the subject matter, but just angry at him!

Why's he asking this stupid question?!

It's like he farted in my pizza box, trying to ruin something I love.

It says something when one person can step into a brewing sjw hate fest and in a few posts make themselves so reviled by both sides they completely forget the original argument. Good job trekari, I didn't think that was possible. You are just a ray of sunshine.

Yeah... I think I have to agree with Trekari. I originally found this site while looking around for real-world benchmarking, and stay and still look at the site because of those benchmarks. However, I don't know if it is because I'm less oblivious to it or if the site has changed, but there's been nasty shit on the site in the last couple of years at least.

Some of it said by people like Kyle, though Steve is usually a simple news-poster. But the people posting on the site? I just don't even understand where the lack of any kind of empathy, much less sympathy, for a lot of these issues comes from. Maybe because the people bringing up these kinds of issues continue to do so, even though people who disagree keep throwing insults their way? I know it works both ways, but I don't think you can say that about this dude? It's terrifying how a lot of long-time posters say things like "just die" or "need a war to kill them", even jokingly!

I can only imagine, just like Trekari, that if you've been posting on the site for 10+ years that you'd be a bit more mature about a lot of this, at the very least on-average. Like, simple "agree/disagree". But this is almost 5 pages of straight up "not an issue, never been an issue, and we should never talk about it, he's an idiot and should shut up, and maybe die" with lots of actual hate towards someone who as far as I know has never actually harmed any of you beyond maybe making you think about something possibly vaguely disturbing. Maybe he is a nutjob and all his videos are completely wrong and you are all completely right. Maybe there's no way to add diverse body types for both genders and have it be fun in a game. Maybe you're simply tired of seeing similar videos.

But wtf people.

Back