Why are used HPs so much cheaper than Dells?

TotalLamer

Gawd
Looking at picking up a 27" or 30"... thinking 30" because it won't look so silly with a 24" turned vertical beside it! Anywho, I noticed even used U3011s are still $800+ while it's easy to find something like a ZR30w for $400 or so... is there any particular reason? Are HP's monitors vastly inferior?

The ZR30W only has brightness controls and only works with computers while the 3011 has a menu, colour controls and a scaler which allows it to work with devices like consoles. Both are trash though, so forget about 30" IPS unless you want very grainy monitors with vastly over-saturated and inaccurate wide gamut colours and tons of white glow when viewing dark content from <121cm/4ft away. 30" IPS are vastly inferior compared to 32" 4k AHVA/PLS and 27" AHVA/IPS/PLS panels if one does not mistake wide gamut colours for quality.

Best 27" 1440p Monitors and Best 4k non-TN monitors.

Last edited:
The ZR30W only has brightness controls and only works with computers while the 3011 has a menu, colour controls and a scaler which allows it to work with devices like consoles. Both are trash though, so forget about 30" IPS unless you want very grainy monitors with vastly over-saturated and inaccurate wide gamut colours and tons of white glow when viewing dark content from <121cm/4ft away. 30" IPS are vastly inferior compared to 32" 4k AHVA and 27" AHVA/IPS/PLS panels if one does not mistake wide gamut colours for quality.

And if you don't want a 16:9 monitor you are out of luck. I'd rather use my 3008wfp, than go with 16:9 27". 32" is too small for 4k (i have a 39" 4k, and its text is the smallest I would go without scaling), your text will be tiny, or if you increase text size you'll have issues with applications that don't support it well (unless you are on a mac).

I'm interested to know what monitor your'e leaning towards. I also have the U2412M, and am looking to upgrade to 1440P IPS in the next 6 months or so.

Don't forget about NEC options! MultiSync EA304WMi and PA302W are great 30" displays with accurate sRGB, wide viewing angles and lots of other unique features.

EA304WMi is perfect for everyday use and PA302W is better for color accurate applications.

-- Art

I am currently using a Dell U3011 since 2012. Stating the monitor is trash is very harsh to say the least. The monitor has been flawless and I mostly game with it. The monitor was expensive to begin with and I was able to purchase mine at $1,100 from dell instead of $1,500. I have not experienced any white glow when viewing dark material. I am seen the U3011 sell in the $400 range on Ebay but very few. NEC monitors are great however the cost for what I am using the monitor gives me pause. At least for me once I made the transition from a 24" panel I will never go down in size. I am considering transitioning to the Dell U3415W. I was able to do some gaming on the U3415w at friends house and I real like the wide screen and the total immersion into the game. It seems Dell monitors have always held there value when compared to others. The Ultra Sharp models especially. Here is the review for the U3011 from PC Mag which the monitor received the editors choice:

Pros
Excellent color, viewing angle, and light grayscale performance. Robust feature set. Highly adjustable stand.

Cons
Pricey. Dark grayscale performance could be better.

Bottom Line
The Dell UltraSharp U3011 is a top shelf 30-inch monitor offering loads of neat features, very good overall performance, and a hefty price tag.

The ZR30W only has brightness controls and only works with computers while the 3011 has a menu, colour controls and a scaler which allows it to work with devices like consoles. Both are trash though, so forget about 30" IPS unless you want very grainy monitors with vastly over-saturated and inaccurate wide gamut colours and tons of white glow when viewing dark content from <121cm/4ft away. 30" IPS are vastly inferior compared to 32" 4k AHVA/PLS and 27" AHVA/IPS/PLS panels if one does not mistake wide gamut colours for quality.

If you don't work with color managed apps, then I'd agree (though I still think it's worth buying an decent puck and calibrating your monitor), but I personally like seeing what I shot (or at least something closer than SRGB can approximate). I've got pictures where the picture just isn't right after you convert to SRGB. You can make it look OK (though sometimes, by default, it look atrocious), but it's not the same as Adobe RGB. I'm not sure if Bruce RGB to Adobe would have the same effect (but there's nothing that I know of that can reproduce much beyond Adobe.

Stating the monitor is trash is very harsh to say the least.

It isn't since the majority of sub 200$ IPS have less grainy matte coatings, better colours vs. the sRGB mode (excludes NEC), higher contrast/darker blacks, less ghosting and far, far less glow.

If you don't work with color managed apps, then I'd agree

The majority of people from forums like this who buy 30" do not calibrate their monitors or know they bought a wide gamut monitor.

Last edited:
Back