Why are these USB drives a different capacity?

Ok, so these two drives you see in my screenshot from my PC are the same physical drives shown right below them. They also both have an exact clone of each other's data. They are also both 32GB models and from the same manufacturer, though clearly different models.

A39gB1X.jpg

Yet, both have a different capacity and amount of space left.

Now, if it was just the free space left and the capacity was the same, I would assume they were just formatted with different file cluster sizes. But even the total capacity is different, one has nearly a gig more than the other! What would cause this?

possibly you need to reformat them again. Something might not had been formatted correctly...as in some space wasn't released. It could also be umm.file system stuff. I forget what i am thinking of but i have seen different drives have that before and it had to do how that particular drive was design and stuff that lingered. It was a very long time ago that I saw that.

Also double check and look at them in properties view. I am not sure fit hat is showing "disk space" vs "system space" You know how you get like an actual disk used space vs a windows usage space. That could also be the issue so check it in properties.

Are they formatted with the same file systems?

Those are all the things i can think of that may cause that

Various definitions of 32GB.

Is 32GB the size of the chips, or the chips less some provisioning ?

Variation in provisioning size.

Back