Why are there no sempron dual core chips?

CoPilotJim

Weaksauce
Hey everyone,

The above is a question that has crossed my mind. If the socket 754 semprons are just socket 754 a64's with half the cache, why are there no 939 semprons with 256k cache for sale? If I understand correctly these chips get sold with half the cache because it doesn't work right, so then shouldn't AMD have 939 chips with some bad l2 cache (unless they've somehow stopped that from happening?)? So why not sell them? Furthermore I imagine they could have the same issue with their dual cores, so why not sell sempron dual cores? A budget dual core at 1.6 ghz with 256k on each core for $150-$170 would be a pretty awesome deal? AT any rate, what are your thoughts? Am I just nuts and AMD isn't having any problems with their 939 chips?

It's plain marketing and technical reason for not releasing dual-cores.

I'm not sure socket 754 is able to support dual-core cores.

CoPilotJim said:
Hey everyone,

The above is a question that has crossed my mind. If the socket 754 semprons are just socket 754 a64's with half the cache, why are there no 939 semprons with 256k cache for sale? If I understand correctly these chips get sold with half the cache because it doesn't work right, so then shouldn't AMD have 939 chips with some bad l2 cache (unless they've somehow stopped that from happening?)? So why not sell them? Furthermore I imagine they could have the same issue with their dual cores, so why not sell sempron dual cores? A budget dual core at 1.6 ghz with 256k on each core for $150-$170 would be a pretty awesome deal? AT any rate, what are your thoughts? Am I just nuts and AMD isn't having any problems with their 939 chips?

I think AMD already leave the value market.

semprons are supposed to be the inexpensive chips, which in dual cores would defeat the purpose and take away sales from the x2's. why no 939 semprons is because they are about to phase out 939 in favor of am2,

It would make more sense to release a lower clocked x2 to compete with the 805 price wise.

Back