why are people so anal about temp?

calvieee

Limp Gawd
why are there so many is my temp too high threads all the time?? If your computer is stable n pass prime/othos... then its GOOD. dont be afraid of 60c or whatever.. mine 6400 idles at 55c/ full load around 70c.. but its 100% stable..can pass 12+ hours of othos...been running at 3.4ghz like that for 2 months. my point is, unless ur computer is not stable, dont worry about ur temp unless its 100C

believe it or not, heat hinders performance whether its stable or unstable. Colder the better.

Plus it degrades your chip over time a lot faster than it would colder.

It's not really a stablility issue, it's that people want their components to last for as long as they can and to keep them in a good condition, My e6400 at 1.425 volts runs at about 35 idle and I dont know the load temp but that's just with a 20 dollar coolermaster heatsink and my intake and exhaust fans on low, when theyre on high it idles at about 34 so :eek: not really worth the sound

because 70 load is too high, its equivalent to red lining your car engine, yes it might be fine for two months, maybe even 8 months, but some people want their chip to last 2 years. Everyones room temperature is different as well, the lower the temp the better to deal with these fluctuations.

Also getting temps down is one of those cool little mini games that makes any enthusiast / obesessive hobby interesting : )

Cheers

Riddlinkidstoner said:
believe it or not, heat hinders performance whether its stable or unstable.

If your max STABLE overclock is the same with high or low temperatures, heat really doesn't matter.

The OP is right, but pushing chips to the limit means getting rid of temperature as a bottleneck :)

If you have a good heatsink and are confident that contact is good, and are not pushing voltage too high, there is nothing you can do about it. My best conroe chip runs hot and when temps get >85C it simply starts throttling. I don't worry much, I just reduce volts to acceptable temp. limit. In my case it is up to 1.5V (even less) max for 24/7 stability. Currently running 3.6ghz 1.43V

I do it for the satisfaction.

Tiger Woods could be considered as one of the best golfers in the world, but I can guarentee he tries to lower his score every day.

I do the same thing for my temperatures. There's a sense of satisfaction knowing your temperatures are only x degrees over ambient... Sure, going from 48'c load to 45'c load isn't going to make any difference (just as Tiger going from -10 to -12 under par probably wouldn't either, unless he's in a tournament) but if I can, why not?

*disclaimer: I don't watch golf. It's 6am here, this was the best I could come up with.

cure2fu6.jpg

You can run your car hotter than recommended you can run your body hotter than recommended but it increases the chances of a problem or complete failure.

A retard said:
my point is, unless ur computer is not stable, dont worry about ur temp unless its 100C

My point is that it's not designed to run at high temps. You might get away with it for awhile but failure is inevitable.

Originally Posted by A retard
mine 6400 idles at 55c/ full load around 70c.. but its 100% stable..can pass 12+ hours of othos...been running at 3.4ghz like that for 2 months

3.4ghz?

Frank4d said:

Looks like it...?''

Anyways, OP, you're lucky you're running a C2D. They're So stable...

Most AM64 X2's would crap out over about 55-60'c.

calvieee said:
unless ur computer is not stable, dont worry about ur temp unless its 100C

Am I the only person that thinks that netspeak like "ur" makes the user look like a complete git? :rolleyes:

Speaking as someone who's been diligently working for almost 2 1/2 weeks to get her load temps below 50c, it DOES make a difference. Things start getting flaky around 60c, with a noticable drop in performance (at least with my e6700). And it goes down from there. So... when you find yourself buying a new processor in a couple of years instead of 4-5, calvieee... well, you'll know why.

An increase of 10C approximately halves the life of silicon devices.
Conversely, a decrease of 10C will approximately double the life.

Its not a lot of help when you dont already know the lifespan of your silicon but its good to know - the cooler the better.

I dont want to get flamed for this however, I wouldn't imagine alot of people here keeping there chips for more then 2 years max. We are enthusiasts who OC for fun, and understand what "COULD" happen as an end result ;) . We all take chances here, hell thats why where here. I wouldn't like to have my C2D idle or load anywhere near 70c, but if thats what it take to meet you OC goal, then more power to you.

darkesnow said:
Am I the only person that thinks that netspeak like "ur" makes the user look like a complete git? :rolleyes:
as soon as someone uses "ur", i instantly dismiss whatever they are saying as nonsense. funny how the people who type "ur" usually have nothing intelligent to say anyway.

Temps are important to some people because they use their systems for more than 2 years and would like to rely on them.

I'm still running a AXP 1900+ as my file server, and it will continue to run until my IDE drives are no longer large enough to be useful. Even then, I may throw in a SATA card and keep it for even longer.

My current rig, when I build a new C2D system in January, will become my Test/Dev rig. My current Test/Dev rig will become my new media center. Etc, etc.

I'd rather spend the extra few dollars today to keep it 10-20C cooler and not have to worry about it failing 3-5 years down the line.

newls1 said:
I dont want to get flamed for this however, I wouldn't imagine alot of people here keeping there chips for more then 2 years max. We are enthusiasts who OC for fun, and understand what "COULD" happen as an end result ;) . We all take chances here, hell thats why where here. I wouldn't like to have my C2D idle or load anywhere near 70c, but if thats what it take to meet you OC goal, then more power to you.

Despite the fact that you may not keep a chip more than 2 years, you may want to sell it to gain at least some money towards a new chip. A twenty dollar fan to get you a much larger resale value when you decide to upgrade is well worth it. The car comparison is exactly right, it may run awesome at redline, but its not doing you any good.

Seanmounce said:
Despite the fact that you may not keep a chip more than 2 years, you may want to sell it to gain at least some money towards a new chip. A twenty dollar fan to get you a much larger resale value when you decide to upgrade is well worth it. The car comparison is exactly right, it may run awesome at redline, but its not doing you any good.
Im using a great cooling method. A scythe infinity with a 120mm 92CFM fan :) I do care about temps.

/me hates heat for ALL his stuff

I just feel that when it comes to electronic components (and shit, your car too!), cool = better. In my mind, it prolongs the life of the components. Adding an array of 120mm fans to my AV Rack to keep everything cool was one of the best things I did....you know things are good when a 700W Receiver is running at a cool 30C instead of passively radiating and baking in 50C ranges.

What we are talking about is degredation. High temps impart a higher degredation rate to the chip. Heat has always been the enemy. If its too hot the chip will fail, restart, crash, fail safe kicks in , etc.

70C is too hot imo, its 9C over the recommended max. You are degrading your chip at a faster rate, even if you plan to replace your chip in a year or two, most people into modding and enthusiast OC'ing just don't feel confortable running a chip that hot consistently. Whether it will result in poor performance in the long short run, i.e. 6-10 months+ nobody knows. It all depends upon the chip itself, how it was made, your mobo, and all other parts in your computer, as well as how you treat your computer i.e. overclocking and voltage.

Heat has always been the enemy to a computer microprocessor. C2D are new to the market, they are incredibly stable and can handle high heat, yet noone knows how they will fair one year down the line having run 70C during that time. Thats why people are anal about heat.

My e6700 runs fine at 70C as well, but I don't for one second feel comfortable keeping it there for long periods of time. 60C and below is the goal imo.

To the OP, this question has been around for decades now, the only truth is that heat can kill your chip, alter its performance, decrease its lifetime, and cause problems in general with your system, especially when the time variable is added in.

Right now your chip is running a " fever " that might not have any effect on it, but based upon what we know about CPU's and heat, you are effectively cooking your chip slowly.

I'm having a hard time deciding if I need another HSF combo or not (just stock intel at the moment) because of all the different temps/monitors floating around.

Coretemp reads my 6600 idle at 55C on both chips, and load after 30 mins or so as 68 I think it was. This is at stock settings now btw, I was OC'd at 3ghz and the temps were low 70's at full load so I dropped it down since it seems that's too high?

Like people said before, I just want my stuff to last. I managed to get up to 3.2Ghz on 1.325V with nice temperatures.

I've pushed my VCore up to 1.4375V and then it hit 60-61C load, so that's my limit (and probably less during the summer)

And I don't need 3.4-3.5Ghz yet, and I prefer running under 55C stress dual load.

And like someone mentioned, no one knows how these chips will fair in the long run, until well... atleast a year has passed.

movax said:
I just feel that when it comes to electronic components (and shit, your car too!), cool = better.

Well, maybe not your car. Engines (and the oil) are designed to operate best at 100°C (actually, I beleive it's more like 95°C or something). Pushing your engine too hard at a low temp can do some serious damage. Although this is coming from a canuck, so we may have different opinions of what 'cool' is. :p

Anywho, sorry for getting off topic :)

My vehicle came with a temp gauge (that I subsequently replaced with a laptop that shows me MANY MANY gauges)

My computer came with a temp gauge.

Use them.

Isn't a reasonable temp part of a good OC?

It's a little like lifting weights; you rep with a lower weight than you bench.
You can have one configuration to run all the time at a reasonable temp and still have a good OC. Then you can have another configuration; one you allow to run a lot hotter just for benching and pushing the chip.

An increase of 10C approximately halves the life of silicon devices.
Conversely, a decrease of 10C will approximately double the life.

cough cough bullshit where is your source cough cough

I don't care what that intel site says, if that were truely the case it would throttle at 60ºc and not 85º.

Personally, I don't run my chip over 70º but thats just an imaginary line I've draw. Its nothing YOU can even control, some chips run hotter, you can lower the voltage but if YOU find a voltage and temp combo YOU are happy with then ignore everyone else.

There are a lot of little girls here who think their entire system will explode if one core dances near 60c. Been overclocking since 486s, never ruined a chip yet. I don't plan on using a chip for 10 years so whats the point in worrying about temps ? (provided you have a nice stable oc)

i can bet my ass that my 6400 (at load around 70c coretemp) will not die anytime soon or in the next 5 years. I never have a cpu die on me because of high temp. I can understand if my computer is not stable n crashes, then i will care about my temp. My 2.6 (overclocked to 3.3) northwood been running 24/7 for 3 yrs. idles 45..load 68 is still running strong.
Hell..even my athlon xp 1700+ that idles at 50c n load at over 70c is still running to this date ( 4-5 yrs).. stop crying like a girl with threads " is 50c too high???"

calvieee said:
i can bet my ass that my 6400 (at load around 70c coretemp) will not die anytime soon or in the next 5 years. I never have a cpu die on me because of high temp. I can understand if my computer is not stable n crashes, then i will care about my temp. My 2.6 (overclocked to 3.3) northwood been running 24/7 for 3 yrs. idles 45..load 68 is still running strong.
Hell..even my athlon xp 1700+ that idles at 50c n load at over 70c is still running to this date ( 4-5 yrs).. stop crying like a girl with threads " is 50c too high???"

Right on brotha!

Those little girls that complain about OMGZ T3MPZ 22 HI are the same ones that lie about their own temps, have systems high rpm fans louder then their speakers will go, and/or even better might not even have the chip that your talking about. Temps are not a competition, they're a reference.

mindstormsguy said:
Well, maybe not your car. Engines (and the oil) are designed to operate best at 100°C (actually, I beleive it's more like 95°C or something). Pushing your engine too hard at a low temp can do some serious damage. Although this is coming from a canuck, so we may have different opinions of what 'cool' is. :p

Anywho, sorry for getting off topic :)

actually both too hot and too cold can potentially damage an engine. same as with a cpu, there's a thermal design evelope. you're best to stay within it lol.

interestingly, one of the major problems is that MOST engine blocks are steel while MOST engine pistons are aluminum. we all know that everything expands to some degree while under an increase of temperature. the problem is that the aluminum increases roughly 3x as much as the steel.... so too much heat and you get the pistons clamping hard against the cylinder bores in the engine block. one of the reasons you hear about someone frying the piston rings under too much heat. as for cold, well you get a gap developing between pistons and bores.

just felt like adding is all;) no criticisims here. canuck here as well, my car is dreading the coming cold....is your starting to soud rougher in the morning too?

este, you're an idiot. thats all criticism

THRESHIN said:
actually both too hot and too cold can potentially damage an engine. same as with a cpu, there's a thermal design evelope. you're best to stay within it lol.

Well yeah, I just figured being to hot would be a given :)

...stupid winter... :p

Lol, it's barely below 0 right now. I can hardly wait till January, -30-somthing -40-somthing with wind chill, woo hoo! :p Who needs watercooling? Just put the computer outside, lol...too bad it gets above 30°C on the summer.

Highest temp in the past year: 35°C (95°F)
Lowest temp in the past year: -33°C (-27°F) (not counting wind chill)

Edit: last 5 years:

MAX TEMP : 37.5 °C (99.5°F)
MAX TEMP. DATE Aug.16 2003
MIN TEMP : -41.9 °C (-43.42°F)
MIN TEMP. DATE Jan.28 2004

I score like 10 points lower in 3dmark if my fan is on low versus high... :D

And yes I want everything to last as long as possible.

If I fart I get a 10pt difference.

If move the mouse, oh GEEZ, your talk 12 maybe 15 points right there!

How many fps real-world difference do you think that makes ?

Don't worry about it. You might be planning on using that processor in 5 years, but... well, thats just stupid, you could be dead tomorrow. Live for today man,

S0m30n3 said:

If you read the specs carefully, this temp spec is referring to Tcase, or the thermal diode on the IHS. That's different than what Core Temp or TAT measures (they measure from the DTS at the core). Tjunction (or throttling temp) for Conroes is 85C. Thus, this explains the 15-20C discrepancy between some mobo's cpu temp measurements (like ASUS PC Probe) and core temp or TAT and why 70C on core temp is fine, but cutting it really close.

But the point stands: cooler CPU = longer life = lesser chance of dying when you least expect it.

Riddlinkidstoner said:
believe it or not, heat hinders performance whether its stable or unstable. Colder the better.
0 degrees Kelvin ftw!!!!!

Back