Why Are PCs Sales Growing While Mac Sales Are Crashing?

You would get fired by the board so fast. Not just from Apple but pretty much every tech company lol. You think Apple would be worth a trillion dollars right now if they followed your philosophy?
Oh, it would never fly. However, suppose they did grow their user base - even with an "entry level" system. This could actually help them sell more iPhones and possibly more expensive models down the road.
People can hate on Apple, but their hardware works great together. The iPhone has iMessage and Facetime that works with macOS (quite nicely). Their AirPods and Beats headphones pair very easily with Macs. It's a good experience (albeit overpriced and I wouldn't pay the extra money for all of it.)
Oh well, we can debate all day long and nothing will come out of it.

Q: Why Are PCs Sales Growing While Mac Sales Are Crashing?

A: Because Apple is an asshole.

If it wasn't for the fact that Macs have zero upgrade ability, the new models are horrible as shit to service, and that they continue to insist upon using hardware that MIGHT have been considered barely-cutting edge, 6 or 7 generations ago, they might actually have a chance. A closed-ass OS doesn't help either.

No real choice between a multimedia editing machine - You're either choosing an iMac, or an overpriced POS that has obsolete hardware with the Trashcan model. Probably the main reason PCs have developed an even larger market share with regards to designers and video editors.

Prices keep rising while specs stagnate or shrink, Apple's arrogance, Windows 10 surpassing OS X's ease of use, the bullshit they put people through for warranty claims at Authorized Service Centers, the complete disregard for how people actually use their devices... the list goes on.

First off, I love my Magic Mouse. I don't use it for gaming, but prefer it for work purposes. On the OSX and repair center fronts, they are unparalleled imo. I can walkinto a store and get help. My family can walk in and be taught how to use new apps, or learn new skills. And I'll take OSX over Windows 10 any day, and I use Windows way more than OSX bc Apple stopped producing computers for me.

I walked into a retail store with a $1000+ iPad that was almost certainly having a software issue. It had like 10 days of warranty left and they just handed me a replacement that looked like new, no questions asked. They even bumped the warranty up to 90 days so I could test out the new one.

Oh, it would never fly. However, suppose they did grow their user base - even with an "entry level" system. This could actually help them sell more iPhones and possibly more expensive models down the road.
People can hate on Apple, but their hardware works great together. The iPhone has iMessage and Facetime that works with macOS (quite nicely). Their AirPods and Beats headphones pair very easily with Macs. It's a good experience (albeit overpriced and I wouldn't pay the extra money for all of it.)
Oh well, we can debate all day long and nothing will come out of it.
In times past that would probably be good but apples future is surely going to be convincing people that a tablet will replace a computer. Then everyone will be on ios.

If you want me to take a shit in a box, then put an Apple sticker on it...i got time...lol. Just kidding.
On the serious side, While i did not read the article... cause i primarily came in here to see the nerd rage.... Is one of the main reasons for declining Mac sales and increase in mobile devices replacing them?

If you want me to take a shit in a box, then put an Apple sticker on it...i got time...lol. Just kidding.
On the serious side, While i did not read the article... cause i primarily came in here to see the nerd rage.... Is one of the main reasons for declining Mac sales and increase in mobile devices replacing them?
If that were the primary driver, I think we'd expect to see PC sales declining similarly. And while the shift to mobile *has* hit both Apple and MS, Apple has felt its effects far more heavily.

Hmmmmm, why isn't Apple selling well, they weren't selling enough of their newest iphones, so they put out an update to obsolete older iphones, claiming something about performance & battery life.

Around that time I had a Mac book pro that was obsoleted in an identical manner with an update. Just so happened that the latest / newest Mac book had been released.

Hmmmmm, I wonder why no one wants to buy Apple products..........

First off, I love my Magic Mouse. I don't use it for gaming, but prefer it for work purposes. On the OSX and repair center fronts, they are unparalleled imo. I can walkinto a store and get help. My family can walk in and be taught how to use new apps, or learn new skills. And I'll take OSX over Windows 10 any day, and I use Windows way more than OSX bc Apple stopped producing computers for me.

I walked into a retail store with a $1000+ iPad that was almost certainly having a software issue. It had like 10 days of warranty left and they just handed me a replacement that looked like new, no questions asked. They even bumped the warranty up to 90 days so I could test out the new one.

And I had one less than 30 days past warranty and was to told Go F myself; the quote for trade-in was $0.

I learned design on a Mac Classic and used them extensively through college. Never bought one as they were too expensive and you couldn't game. Its now 28 years later and that more or less hasn't changed.

After hanging on to the Apple ecosystem for ten years I returned to Windows computers in 2012 (having used PCs prior to my Apple stint since 1990). The most jarring thing about Apple for me was allowing its professional software to suffer by virtue of no upgrades or outright discontinuation / dumbing down. Apple's Aperture software is one example.

With the advent of Pascal graphics in laptops since last year I have been pretty happy with a laptop replacing my desktop system. As to one forum poster who mentioned Windows laptop purchasers being 'poor', or likely to put up with poor service, I beg to differ. My Dell Precision or HP ZBook mobile workstations cost in the region of $4-5K each. They have tool-less upgradeability and space for 8-10TB of storage. Service, if needed, comes to your business or home with replacement parts and a technician next-business-day guaranteed for three years from purchase date. Apple laptops, despite nice aesthetic design, do not have mil spec build quality required of mobile workstations.

Last edited:
If that were the primary driver, I think we'd expect to see PC sales declining similarly. And while the shift to mobile *has* hit both Apple and MS, Apple has felt its effects far more heavily.

I'm pretty sure that one of the thrusts of the article was that PC sales are being artificially propped up by businesses upgrading for windows 10. Mac's aren't affected by that, obviously, so the general decline in sales is being masked for PC's but not for Mac

And I had one less than 30 days past warranty and was to told Go F myself; the quote for trade-in was $0.

I learned design on a Mac Classic and used them extensively through college. Never bought one as they were too expensive and you couldn't game. Its now 28 years later and that more or less hasn't changed.

It sucks to be out of warranty, but do you think Dell or Asus would have covered it? My experience with them is that they barely, or sometimes don't take care of things properly when they are IN warranty.

Nothing like an Apple thread to demonstrate how out of touch [H] is with actual day to day people.

Build a Hackintosh? LoL
Upgradability? What is this 1998?
Apple bad for X,Y,Z.. like Samsung, Dell, etc would do the same thing?
And the classic... Sheeple are stoopid because fruit.

Literally none of the things [H] claims about Apple users comes up in day to day conversations. Yet some how you would think people are running around making sure everyone knows what cell phone or computer they have. Nobody cares.

Nothing like an Apple thread to demonstrate how out of touch [H] is with actual day to day people.

Build a Hackintosh? LoL
Upgradability? What is this 1998?
Apple bad for X,Y,Z.. like Samsung, Dell, etc would do the same thing?
And the classic... Sheeple are stoopid because fruit.

Literally none of the things [H] claims about Apple users comes up in day to day conversations. Yet some how you would think people are running around making sure everyone knows what cell phone or computer they have. Nobody cares.
And those are just the subjective points. These guys routinely get the objective stuff wrong, too, which is just plain sad coming from a tech enthusiast site's membership. Comments like OS X is a "closed" OS, claiming the newest MacBook is based on year old architecture, etc. It's just plain sad these guys can't get the basic facts right, but when it comes to their own self-proclaimed hobby it's even worse.

Back