Why are Founder's Editions selling for so much?

I just looked into prices for FE's on eBay and it's crazy... 1080 Ti FE's are selling for $900. That costs more than buying a new one with a watercooler from Newegg.

I was under the impression that these were inferior to the third party solutions due to the inefficient blower air cooling.

Last edited:
Just about every GTX went crazy on prices this past weekend. I had a 1070 in my cart on Newegg, and before I could get through the payment process, the stock ran out. I went back to my backup 1060 that was in stock when I put the 1070 in my cart. And it was gone too. I started checking around at most of the other online retailers, and couldn’t find a 1060 under $350 or a 1070 under $500. I couldn’t even begin to afford a 1080.

The prices are out of hand. Was thinking of buying some 1070 Tis for a new mining rig but no way I'm I paying over 200% MSRP.

The prices are out of hand. Was thinking of buying some 1070 Tis for a new mining rig but no way I'm I paying over 200% MSRP.

And this, plus the memory price hikes, is why prices are as they are...

Wow, nowinstock is has nothing at all for 1070/1070ti/1080ti :eek:

FEs can be nice for multiple cards inside a case. Most miners don't use cases though....

Last edited:
Picked up a EVGA 1080 on sale for $499 from NewEgg during a holiday sale a few weeks ago. I put my 1070 up on Ebay for $440 BIN, to test the waters. It sold in less than 8 hours. It was $60-$70 *more* than what I paid for it originally.

I put my 1070 up on Ebay for $440 BIN, to test the waters. It sold in less than 8 hours. It was $60-$70 *more* than what I paid for it originally.

You should have been asking a heck of a lot more than that. Considering the 10% cut ebay takes, you didn't even make $400 on the deal.

I grabbed an MSI 1080 Ti on Newegg last week for $759. I knew it was getting hard to get one but didn't fully realize how lucky I was until this week.

You should have been asking a heck of a lot more than that. Considering the 10% cut ebay takes, you didn't even make $400 on the deal.

I guess in hindsight that may have been true. I did do a historical search on all of the "sold" listings of my card, and none of them had exceeded $425 BIN. Thought I was actually kind of pushing it at $440. Anyway, I pretty much upgraded my 1070 to 1080 on the cheap, so I'm not really complaining.

Glad I have my 2x Asus Poseidon 1080tis and my founders 1070.

Im sitting happy

Crypto currency is backed by literally nothig of value. Brace your self for suicides galore when the bubble explodes and entire life fortunes were blown on mining setups.

Oh boy miners have it coming.

Picked up a 1080 Ti for $749 right before Christmas. Lucky with timing I guess. Looks like a good time to sell the 1070 FE it replaced:)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282800990497?ul_noapp=true

Pretty soon I'm going to sell mine and use my old 980ti......
better to look at closed listings by recent to get an idea

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_nkw=1080 TI&_dcat=27386&rt=nc&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=500&_udhi

everything is at $950 - $1200.
even used.

People are overzealous.

At that price you can actually buy a Titan XP collectors edition new from NVidia directly. (in stock at $1138)
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-store/

I'd like more cards, but I'm not paying that much for a card with Volta around the corner - early reports peg it mining at 40-70% improved hashing speeds and 35% less power use. The 1080 TI's will be outdated hard with Volta if those rumors are true.

That's on one hand -- then on the other hand - you'll have a $900 card paid off in 3-4 months at current profitability levels mining. hmmmmm.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I just looked into prices for FE's on eBay and it's crazy... 1080 Ti FE's are selling for $900. That costs more than buying a new one with a watercooler from Newegg.

I was under the impression that these were inferior to the third party solutions due to the inefficient blower air cooling.

If you're looking for a FE, you can camp on the NVidia store. Their 1080Ti's are periodically in stock. They're showing a 3-4 week lead time, but they're going for $699 .

If this gets to out of hand, i might sell at least a couple of my 1080s and switch over to volta when they launch.

If this gets to out of hand, i might sell at least a couple of my 1080s and switch over to volta when they launch.
Good luck getting Volta.

Previews suggest 35% faster for games but 40-70% faster for hash rates with its GDDR6. Combined with 35% less power use it’s a miner dream card. Expect the big mining operations to be buying them by the 747 load.

I predict getting a launch Volta will be a lot like getting a launch Vega. But the Volta will actually be a good card so it might be worse. Ie. 2-4 months after launch before the average person will even have the chance to buy one.

I also think Nvidia will tick up the price. The rumor mill for Volta suggesting such a good mining card, and the notion it’ll be much faster than and use less power than a 1080ti means Nvidia will probably release it at >= $800. They know they can get it, so why wouldn’t they?

Last edited:
I listed two 1080s on ebay this morning, getting tons of offers. had $667.50 already. I listed them for $749 which makes me sick -- but the hassle of selling them, ebay fees, etc i am only making $70 profit per card at $749 after shipping. Plus they are pulling in $14 a day roughly for the last few weeks. I probably should just take my ad down.

I listed two 1080s on ebay this morning, getting tons of offers. had $667.50 already. I listed them for $749 which makes me sick -- but the hassle of selling them, ebay fees, etc i am only making $70 profit per card at $749 after shipping. Plus they are pulling in $14 a day roughly for the last few weeks. I probably should just take my ad down.
list them for higher and get rid of the make offer button.

also - sign up for a single month ebay store and your fees drop to 4% instead of 10%. The store costs $25 for a single month. There's no setup - it's just a subscription service offering - where ebay is guaranteed money. You can do it at $20 per month for a year at a time, or $25 for a single month.

list them for higher and get rid of the make offer button.

also - sign up for a single month ebay store and your fees drop to 4% instead of 10%. The store costs $25 for a single month. There's no setup - it's just a subscription service offering - where ebay is guaranteed money. You can do it at $20 per month for a year at a time, or $25 for a single month.

How are you getting 4%? Using their calculator (https://www.fees.ebay.com/feeweb/feecalculator) under the Computer & Tablets Networking Category > Computer Components and Parts > Graphics/Video Cards:

If I do a fixed price no basic listed, 10% (matches up), if I do a basic storefront, 6.15%--where is the extra 2.15% savings coming from?

Maybe they upped the price. 2 weeks ago when i signed up it was 4%. Absolutely 100% for sure

oblox

Maybe they upped the price. 2 weeks ago when i signed up it was 4%. Absolutely 100% for sure
and I'm wrong...

I looked at my seller's window

motherboards and CPUs are 4%
video cards are 6.15%

I apologize for the confusion.

less than 10%, but will have to do the math to see if it's worthwhile.

upload_2018-1-15_12-21-20.png

Last edited:
Reactions: oblox
like this
i wish i had done this, my cards sold for $700 each. Im not sure if i want to sell the other 6. anyrate thanks for pointing this out to me, will use in the future for sure.

This crypto stuff is crazy..........

I actually bought one 1080 Ti FE from nvidia for MSRP about 1 month after release.
The following week I got an MSI Aero edition for 25 dollars over MSRP. There wasn't a single FE to be found.

The prices now are just way nuts. It has put a damper on just being a person who likes to game.

This crypto stuff is crazy..........

I actually bought one 1080 Ti FE from nvidia for MSRP about 1 month after release.
The following week I got an MSI Aero edition for 25 dollars over MSRP. There wasn't a single FE to be found.

The prices now are just way nuts. It has put a damper on just being a person who likes to game.

In my case, it's driven me to dust off my PS4 after selling my GTX1070 for $150 more than I paid for it.

A lot of people put reasonable prices for buy it now to move the product immediately and get that fat cash now now now.

with the price of ether going straight up I would mine baby mine! You can always sell them a few days before the volta announcement in march.

I sold 8 RX480s last year for double what i paid for them, and i did kinda regret it. This might be regret round 2, but ive been watching video card stock levels daily and this is the first time that everything was out of stock. Id like to make a small profit on my 1080s and upgrade to 1080ti or vegas when stocks return.

Yeah, I had 6 GTX 1070's new in box at one point (about 6 months ago). Was going to build another mining machine, but I had doubts after ETH slumped, and I returned them (eating a restocking fee too). Had I known, I would have definitely held onto those cards. Now you have to sell out your mom just to find anything in stock.

As an average gaming consumer, This is insane.

All I wanted was a 1060 6GB dual-fan anything....

I couldn't find one for a reasonable price between Oct-Now. (which is peak-time for me to make selfish purchases)

You guys are scooping up all the cards, raising the prices, and screwing us poor bastards out of a decent deal....

I know this is [H], not "poor whiney asshats", but still, this bubble certainly doesn't help PC gaming or the enthusiast market in general.

It's exactly what I did - pulled my auction down, and stuck the card back to mine crypto. The market is just too insane right now.

I am generally pro mining.... But man do I feel sorry for anyone who wants to buy/upgrade a GPU right now...

That's not Nvidia's fault. It says clearly "Sold by" by the add to cart.

If Nvidia's store on their website said the same thing, it would be different. Right now the MSRP on their website for a 1070Ti is $449 and a 1080Ti is $699 IIRC.

Back