Why Are Dinosaurs Everywhere In VR?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Why are dinosaurs everywhere in VR? Because they are cool? Because you can't just go to a zoo and see one? They are massive and are fun to "see" in VR? I mean, it's not like you can go to a museum and fight off a pack of dinosaurs in an open field. I could go on all day. ;)

When done right, VR's ability to convey presence -- the feeling of actually being somewhere -- is unrivaled by any other medium. Nowhere is that more apparent than when you're craning your neck to take in the size of the zebra-striped brachiosaur lumbering through a tar pit in Crytek's Robinson: The Journey. Same goes for ducking under a bellowing tyrannosaur stomping through a museum hall in an Oculus tech demo. Some 65 million years later, developers love to resurrect nature's most fearsome creatures in VR. But why?

You nailed it on the head. Dinosaurs have always captured our imaginations in ways nothings else has. From toy dinos as kids to movies like jurassic park, we want to explore this long ago and gone age of monsters. Unlike thinks like Greek mythology we have proof of Dinosaurs existence. And we want more!

I'm excited about the future possibilities of this tech for this particular subject. Exploring the Earth in any one of these periods would be just like being on an alien planet. The ecosystems are entirely different from today... not just the animals but the plants, insects, sea life, everything.

Get Far Cry Primal, no dinosaurs but it is the closest game we have to the movie Quest For Fire. It's a fun game and has decent graphics with decent performance.

Back