Why are all computer cases ugly nowadays?

You complain about cases that are too utilitarian, but talk about the Abee cases which are about as minimalist and utilitarian as anything offered by Jonsbo, Lian-Li and Caselabs. I'm not really seeing the difference in aesthetics between these brands on a broad level other than the one Abee AS Enclosure M2 having some faux bolt looking shit all over the front of it. The rest of their offerings are as plain looking as the Jonsbo I quickly Googled.

Well, I did say that I liked those type of minimalist designs from Lian Li, Jonsbo, etc., so not necessarily sharting on all of their stuff. I added Abee because I thought I discovered them from another thread and wanted to throw another brand into the mix for OP. They're all definitely very comparable like you said, no doubt, but there are some design details that elevate some of the Abee cases that I had not seen from the above mentioned brands. Some folks see a trashcan, others the perfect enclosure. Just my two-cents, Dan. (y)

Abee cases are clean, and all, but they're also boring as hell. Same issue I had with Lian Li for the last 20 years.

Good cases? Sure. But there's only so much "Polished Sheet Metal" look I want staring at me whenever I'm at my desk.

Plenty of cases look clean now, but have style to go with the design. Yes, there's also a lot of ugly, and that will depend on personal taste, but you can find good cases, with a solid design, that don't look boring as fuck.

Abee cases are clean, and all, but they're also boring as hell. Same issue I had with Lian Li for the last 20 years.

Good cases? Sure. But there's only so much "Polished Sheet Metal" look I want staring at me whenever I'm at my desk.

Plenty of cases look clean now, but have style to go with the design. Yes, there's also a lot of ugly, and that will depend on personal taste, but you can find good cases, with a solid design, that don't look boring as fuck.

Haha, yeah, I know what you mean. Sometimes the case will look too simple, like the designer made the easiest design choices, then other times there's an elegance in the simplicity.

Eye of the beholder, I suppose.

I like Fractal Design cases, not all blinged out. My last build was a Nano S and I didn't even get the window version, nothing in there to see.

Mostly yes. Miss the good old days of the ATC 201 Coolermasters. Now if they would just update that design with 140mm fan holes, that would be awesome.

If you can look at a Phanteks Evolv ATX with glass side panels and say that it is ugly, well, there is no hope for you...

If you can look at a Phanteks Evolv ATX with glass side panels and say that it is ugly, well, there is no hope for you...

Its a beautiful case. I had the anthracite gray (non glass panel) for a little while. Thing is heavy as a tank, but built like one. Just watch out for the edges on the outer panels, sliced my finger open while picking it up.

I'm getting sick of this everything RGB fad that's happening. I can't find a good case, GPU, or motherboard without it having RGB overload. I don't want my PC to look like a Vegas hotel.

I like some Jonsbo cases and found that they finally have a U.S. site, but of course the selection is limited and the cases I like have glass panels to show off the hotel inside the case.....FML!

I'm getting sick of this everything RGB fad that's happening. I can't find a good case, GPU, or motherboard without it having RGB overload. I don't want my PC to look like a Vegas hotel.

.....But just like bumper stickers and racing stripes, RGB gives you +10% Performance! :cool:

I am going to buy a Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout (no window) this weekend. It is just a silent big black box, exactly what I want. It will replace my ~5.5 year old Lian-Li PC-K9WX.

I love mine. Best mid-tower case I've ever built a system in and tons of room for extra fans and even a giant double tower cooler. I also basically just wanted a plain black box that was functional (well designed and built) and that's exactly what I got. :)

Of course this is all very subjective in the first place. Some people want a simple understated box while some people want racing stripes, tons of LED lights, a big window, etc. They are both valid choices, and people with either preference probably think the other choice is ugly. Apparently some people make great distinctions between the aesthetics of various plain/simple boxes too though, if this thread is any indication. :p

One of the things that convinced me to splash out on an ncase m1 other than it size was it's aesthetics. It has done so well in my opinion because they steered clear of being overly flashy.

What are you talking about? There are plenty of good looking cases. Corsair, ncase, Fractal Design, Phantek, Silverstone. You'll have to pay premium for cases like these but they have always been around. If anything, you have a lot more choice in good looking cases today than 15-20 years ago.

Then again, you think PC60 is a sexy case, so I have to question your judgement :D That case was sexy... about 15 years ago when every other case was a plain beige plasticky box.

there are plenty of good looking cases that rival apple enclosures, but they're a hassle to work with and they're not designed well on the inside. they're also very very expensive, we're talking $300+. there's a reason fractal design and phantek cases are really popular, they're designed well and are low cost.

Back