Why are 3200 bartons more expensive than some athlon 64

Michaelius

Supreme [H]ardness
Originally posted by Catsonar
Why is the Barton 3200+ still expensive, when you can get a 3000+ 64 and get more for about $220(newegg). Can anyone explain this to me. Thx

I was wondering about it too:) but probably the best answer is that you don't need to change the mobo to get one if you have nforce2/kt600 mobo so it saves you some cash.

Originally posted by xonik
Compare clock frequencies...
yeah... compare a 2.2ghz athlonFX to a 3.2ghz p4... kinda negates that argument, no? i believe the athlon64 3000+ is cheaper cause AMD is really trying to get their new architecture out there and phase out the athlonxp's

ok, wait up, correct me if i'm wrong, but from what I read and understand by having Nforce 2 you can buy a A 64 and use( in my case Abit NF7-S V2.0) wiht no problem cuase if this is the case than i'll be singing HAPPY< HAPPY, JOY, JOY :eek:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you can't use an Athlon 64 in any Nforce 2 board. The chip won't fit in any Socket A (462 pin) board as it's a 754 pin chip and the architecture is completely different.

It's all about the yields, and profit. AMD is probably not getting lot of the cores on a wafer to clock up to Barton 3200+ speeds. Low supply = higher cost. On the other hand, the 3000+ 64 is really a 3200+ 64 that would be otherwise discarded. So any money they make off of the 3000+ 64 is better than the nothing they would have gotten. They just have to price the chip so it doesn't suck up all the sales from their other chips.

To summarize, the low Barton 3200+ yields, combined with the fact that the 3000+ 64 cores would be otherwise thrown away, means cheaper 64 bit computing for all.

Originally posted by freeloader1969
What's really odd, is that the XP rated at 3200+ is actually slower then the Athon 64 3000+. What does that say about PR ratings?

They are two different architectures, obviously the newest architecture would be faster. Like a guy said up there, the 64 3000+ is just a rebadged and undercached 3200+. I agree with the naming as the 64 3000+ is to be compared to the EE p4 and the XP is to be compared with the regular p4.

~Adam

Look, I don't own an Athlon64 but I know it's faster then my AthlonXP. Thats it. Also, most companies bank on stupidity. Toyota for example sells the fully loaded ES300 for quite a few thousand dollars more then a comparably equiped Camry. Yet both the Camry and the ES300 share about 98% of the same components. But peeps are willing to spend say an extra $7000 for the L on their hood as opposed to the Toyota symbol.

Back