Why Apple?

asusxp1900

Limp Gawd
Well I am on to a new project and was thinking about getting an apple and learning as much about it and fixing it up as much as possible. I feel I have reached a conclusion with my PC. Sooooooooooo

Why Apple? What about Apple is better than Windows? Dont tell me reliability cause XP Pro is reliable enough for me. But what makes apples different than windows PC's. I am blind in this subject but not ignorant and willing to learn as much as I can. Thanks for any help. Oh ya I am thinking of getting an 12" ibook.

Originally posted by asusxp1900
Well I am on to a new project and was thinking about getting an apple and learning as much about it and fixing it up as much as possible. I feel I have reached a conclusion with my PC. Sooooooooooo

Why Apple? What about Apple is better than Windows? Dont tell me reliability cause XP Pro is reliable enough for me. But what makes apples different than windows PC's. I am blind in this subject but not ignorant and willing to learn as much as I can. Thanks for any help. Oh ya I am thinking of getting an 12" ibook.
You can never know everything - there is always something to learn.

I can't answer that question as far as which better - use what you like. Apple appeals to a different crowd. And be careful what you further say or it will ignite some interesting responses.

iBook's are nice.

Yeah, basically, use what you like. There are TONS of differences, but when you come down to it, a Mac is a computer just like a PC is. In the end, they are essentially the same. They both run programs in the end to help you do what you want to do.

There are a couple threads that answer the exact same question you're asking. I know the seach is disabled, but click through the last few pages -- its all there.

Both platforms are great and are useful for different reasons. What is the new project you're doing that you'll need the iBook for? I do know that it's a really good idea to pack it full of RAM.

Both platforms perform basically evenly across the board. Even in the long vaulted "strengths" of Apple there are virtually no differences. Sometimes it loses, sometimes it wins.

It's a different feel, and a nice change of scene at times. I myself would love to pick up an iBook one day. The only Apple I see myself having a use for if I bought something new from Apple.

Since I work on a lot of both I get to enjoy both sides, but I couldn't tell you one was better. Stability and performance have improved greatly with both systems over the years (if you want competitive performance in a Mac you really have to consider the G5 as essentially your only option IMO, and stability in windows requires XP Pro or Win 2k).

Originally posted by Instigator
Both platforms are great and are useful for different reasons. What is the new project you're doing that you'll need the iBook for? I do know that it's a really good idea to pack it full of RAM.

Well my new project will be to fix up a laptop to be quick, good looking and different. I have already done that with my PC and would now like to work on a laptop. I am just torn between an apple and a windows pc. Thats why I was asking what the differences were. I am interested in the mac cause it is different but I dont want to sacrifice performance and functionality over being different and not windows. Thanks for your oppinions so far.

What kind of Ram do they take? Is it any different? Thanks

for ME the mac have a better workflow than windows. I do mostly graphic work and video and i find the mac simply more robust for this type of work... It's my point of view.

For you it can be a great learning experience since Mac Os is Unix :).

while a lot of people like to say that the parts in a Mac are propriatary most of them really aren't....RAM is RAM is RAM and a Mac takes the same as a PC..Hard drives and PCI cards...video is a little different as well as CPU's...vid cards have to be flashed with a Mac BIOS but they are esentialy the same as a PC vid card...now from what it sounds like you want to "fix" up an iBook and make it faster...there isn't much you can do to these (or even a PC laptop) because everything is built into the motherboard....you can upgrade RAM and HD (in most cases) but not much more

Exactly, RAM is RAM, and crappy RAM is crappy RAM, i.e. stay away from the crap, I personally recently had problems with Kingston RAM in my iBook so I would recommend Crucial, I put that in and it works great.

Between the 2 platforms they both have strengths and weaknesses. If the machine is for work and you don't have to worry about any proprietary programs go with the Mac I think you'd like the interface and useability, I know I do, I used to hate Macs until I got hold of OS X, but then again I had used OS 8 and 9 and still hate the older OSs. Problems you may face is if you're in a work environment that uses any type of Practice Management software such as WebMD's Intergy (formerly Medical Manager), just as an example as nearly every PM (Practice Management) I've run into has been Windows based. Intuit's Quickbooks is another one that has issues, it's fine if you stay on one platform or the other but the datafile will not cross very and forget a multi-user environment. Those are just some small things I've run into, but since having both platforms it wasn't really an issue for me personally. Oh and FYI, Virtual PC isn't an option on PMs from what I could tell it was a nightmare with way too many variables to be a viable option if it would run it bearably, it'd run other things fine but not it.

I was in your same position and I ended up getting a powerbook. I still like Windows better and the pc for that matter but there are some things about a Mac that are just plain cool. Besides that, its nice to be some what profissent in OS X. I use my powerbook for 2 things...watching dvds and doing homework. I think it works well in that roll. I leave my pc to surf the web (although I must say I like Safari much better than Explorer) and play games.

Come on Novell, I'm rooting for ya!

Almost forgot another really big issue out there. Most VPN clients out on the market right now only have Windows based software and the ones I've run into such as Cisco is very proprietary, for security reasons, and requires their client. I haven't had a chance to try to get onto any Symantec Firewalls yet with the built-in VPN in OS X but will try when I get time.

Almost forgot another really big issue out there. Most VPN clients out on the market right now only have Windows based software and the ones I've run into such as Cisco is very proprietary, for security reasons, and requires their client. I haven't had a chance to try to get onto any Symantec Firewalls yet with the built-in VPN in OS X but will try when I get time.

Most VPNs these days are standard IPSec. Cisco is the same. You don't have to use Cisco's client, but you get other features if you do. Cisco's OSX client works very well.

I've always been interested in tinkering around with a Mac too, but one thing seems to really bug me. There's one button on the standard Mac mouse. I have problems using my schools old two button no scroll wheel mouses, let alone going to a mouse with one freaking button. Can you use any logitech mouse with a mac? Is it really as helpful as in Windows to have multiple buttons on a mouse with a Mac?

Originally posted by EarthwormJim
I've always been interested in tinkering around with a Mac too, but one thing seems to really bug me. There's one button on the standard Mac mouse. I have problems using my schools old two button no scroll wheel mouses, let alone going to a mouse with one freaking button. Can you use any logitech mouse with a mac? Is it really as helpful as in Windows to have multiple buttons on a mouse with a Mac?

You can plug in any standard USB scroll mouse and use it just like you would in windows. Pretty straightforward, I do it all the time.

I used to OC AMDs...my best was a duron 650 OCd to 1250 post. Im not bragging, its just to let you know where im coming from when im talking about the differences between PC and MAC.

I sum up owning my mac as you can do everything a mac can do on a PC except its easier on a mac. Its a lot of little things. Check out apple.com and read about OSX and the new feature etc. Thats what sold me to the mac. I use Expose on an hourly basis. tabbed browsing is great. Having the ability to broadcast the internet wirelessly to other computers is great. Having the ability for the computer to be a file server for other wireless computers is great. having the ability to direct connect two laptops with straight through cable and not cross over is great. 802.11g is great. being able to plug anything into it and it "just working" is great.

When i purchased my ibook g4 the biggest issue was size/price ratio. if you check out other laptops that are the size and capabilities of the ibook (without a docking station) you'll find them to be priced over $2000.

The only drawback I find with this computer is that you can't play the most up-to-date games. But im not a gamer. If you are, but are not avid, they make a multitude of games for mac but they seems to come out later.

Bottom line...if you're not playing games, buy the mac.

ps. NO VIRUSES!!

"If you're a bad guy and you want to frustrate law enforcement, use a Mac."
- Dave Thomas, former chief of computer intrusion investigations at FBI headquarters,

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/35175.html

Sounds like a ringin endorsment to me.

Full quote for the lazy:
"Dave had some surprises up his sleeve as well. You'll remember that I said he was using a ThinkPad (running Windows!). I asked him about that, and he told us that many of the computer security folks back at FBI HQ use Macs running OS X, since those machines can do just about anything: run software for Mac, Unix, or Windows, using either a GUI or the command line. And they're secure out of the box. In the field, however, they don't have as much money to spend, so they have to stretch their dollars by buying WinTel-based hardware. Are you listening, Apple? The FBI wants to buy your stuff. Talk to them!

Dave also had a great quotation for us: "If you're a bad guy and you want to frustrate law enforcement, use a Mac." Basically, police and government agencies know what to do with seized Windows machines. They can recover whatever information they want, with tools that they've used countless times. The same holds true, but to a lesser degree, for Unix-based machines. But Macs evidently stymie most law enforcement personnel. They just don't know how to recover data on them. So what do they do? By and large, law enforcement personnel in American end up sending impounded Macs needing data recovery to the acknowledged North American Mac experts: the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Evidently the Mounties have built up a knowledge and technique for Mac forensics that is second to none.

(I hope I'm not helping increase the number of sales Apple has to drug traffickers.) "

Looks like I'm going to be in the market for a Mac server;)

Originally posted by tango554
When i purchased my ibook g4 the biggest issue was size/price ratio. if you check out other laptops that are the size and capabilities of the ibook (without a docking station) you'll find them to be priced over $2000.

You're comparing to the wrong laptops buddy.

Back