Why Apple Fans Are Really Coming To Hate Apple Software

Something as trivial as creating network shares between two Windows computers behind a router has always been an excruciating pain in the ass for me.

Create an acct on both machines using same username/password. Create share. Done. When you go to the other share, login. I'm too lazy for that and I have nothing important on my machines, so I simply just have the same username/password on my comps. So no logging in to access shares. Just click and you're in.

Win 8 or higher has fixed that with their Windows Live accounts, but you'll have to create a Windows Live account or use your existing Hotmail, Outlook, etc MS acct.

I don't care about the icon itself, but it's indicative of how much recycled code there is, and from how long ago when they're advertising a whole new fresh OS. I've only been using my MBP for 3 years, but no I haven't had any problems with Finder. The only time I had issues was when I was using beta builds of Mavericks.

Has to be a lot of recycled code to be backwards compatible with things. You really think Apple doesn't reuse a whole lot of their code for new OSX versions. Hell half of their new OS's are just what MS calls a service pack and they use to charge $100 for those things.

Today's OS's have tons of recycled code, cause program developers come to expect certain functions to be available within the OS for them to use. So they don't have to code the functions into their own programs.

The only way to keep from recycling code is to not support old crap. MS is doing that now and guess what? Ppl are complaining about it. "What? Win 10 won't support my old Core 2 Duo or whatever!?! ZOMG, Screw MS!" There really is no win/win situation for MS when it comes to their OS. They'd love nothing more than to stop using recycled code, but the consumer base continues wanting their old programs to work on a new OS.

I used to like both Apple's software and hardware. Not enough to buy a Mac, but I have an older one at work that works fine. I enjoyed my iPod, iPhone 3G, 4, and 5.
That's right around the time when Apple stopped pushing, IMO. Old programs weren't truly updated, they were just maintained. Products even Google considered betas were imitated.
Even the aesthetics were tossed aside, and that what I liked most.
At this point, unless they change their philosophy, I have no reason to buy Apple again.
I think Tim Cook might be a great fit in some places, but at Apple he just doesn't match what people have come to expect.

You can "drag and drop". Just make a standard Playlist and sync that playlist to all your devices. Then "drag and drop" into the playlist.....then any time any device that uses that playlist is connected, it will be synced with what ever is in that playlist. Don't want a certain song in there anymore? Remove from the playlist and it gets updated across all your devices.

It really is a wonderful setup if you learn how to use it.

The playlist solution solves many practical issues when dealing with large libraries and multiple devices (phones, ipods, Apple TV's, other computers). You just have to take some time (not much) to learn how they work.

For instance I have smart playlists that are 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's.

In the comment field of every song I put something like "4 Star, 80's". I then give the song a rating of 4 stars and make a smart playlist that says

• [/
  • Any song rated 4 stars or more
  • contains "80's" in comment field
    LIST]

Now the songs get picked up automatically. But what's great is that if the library ever gets corrupted or I move to a different computer or whatever, because that meta data is in the song, I can have all my playlists back up and running within seconds. All I have to do is sort the entire library by comments and give everything starting with "4 Stars" a 4 star rating and the smart playlist does the rest. I'm not doing no drag and drop crap.

• itunes is the biggest load of shit, and what you posted doesnt solve many problems.

I myself, for example, have a work laptop, a gaming laptop, a surface pro 4, and a gaming desktop, and it is LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE to manage music on them using itunes.

I literally cannot just plug my ipod into one of the computers, and create a playlist off the songs on the ipod, because they arent in that computers local library. itunes is such a crock of shit and the ONLY reason i have an iphone is because it was the only phone with a powerful enough headphone out to drive my headphones

My wife and I both have Iphone 6s Pluses. We've never used Itunes. It's terrible and there's really nothing to every make you even need to use it anymore.

All of our favorite apps are third party. And they are really good. I guess it's common to think Apple's apps should be the greatest, but I feel like the whole point of the app store is to let third party devs create the apps that people really love. You've got these devs devoted to working on a specific app, pouring their time and skills into it. On Apple's side, they create their generic apps so that the phone is useable out of the box, but I don't think anyone with even basic tech knowledge only uses Apples apps. Maybe grandmas or something.

We love our Iphones, and that's after being Android for years. The Apple hardware is great. IOS is well done. And there's an app for pretty much everything. Use the stock apps if you want, but theres probably a better option available on the app store.

While iTunes can be a problem for people who still have music/video collections (get with the streaming times already ;-) ), for many people it doesn't impact the iOS experience due to iCloud, which is fairly seamless.

If we look at the mobile OS performance over time, iOS still wins in the one area that matters most to the average user -- stability and ease-of-use. I wondered if Android had finally overcome the "Windows" problem of slowing down over time and getting buggy, but from what I've seen with my friends' phones and my work phone (only an S4) that's not the case. Bugs don't seem to be as much of an issue to be fair, but they still seem more common on Android.

I was a power users who would root my phone and all of that good stuff, so I get the advantages of Android. But I need my mobile device to work seamlessly above all else. That's why I think this article misses the full picture. Yes, Apple is on a downward trend -- it's not innovating fast enough and quality hasn't been as high these days -- but they still have the same advantages re: iOS to fall back on. I don't think Apple users are hating the software by any means. We're just hoping Apple will step it up and avoid making the same stupid mistakes in the future...I could list soooo many, but iOS isn't one.

While iTunes can be a problem for people who still have music/video collections (get with the streaming times already ;-) ), for many people it doesn't impact the iOS experience due to iCloud, which is fairly seamless.

If we look at the mobile OS performance over time, iOS still wins in the one area that matters most to the average user -- stability and ease-of-use. I wondered if Android had finally overcome the "Windows" problem of slowing down over time and getting buggy, but from what I've seen with my friends' phones and my work phone (only an S4) that's not the case. Bugs don't seem to be as much of an issue to be fair, but they still seem more common on Android.

I was a power users who would root my phone and all of that good stuff, so I get the advantages of Android. But I need my mobile device to work seamlessly above all else. That's why I think this article misses the full picture. Yes, Apple is on a downward trend -- it's not innovating fast enough and quality hasn't been as high these days -- but they still have the same advantages re: iOS to fall back on. I don't think Apple users are hating the software by any means. We're just hoping Apple will step it up and avoid making the same stupid mistakes in the future...I could list soooo many, but iOS isn't one.

Id rather not use shitty encoded mp3's from spotify when i have the option, also icloud? lol? the only free amount of storage you get is 5 Gb, when my mp3 collection alone is 50, nice try

does-this-belong-to-you-app.jpg

There are a lot of old mechanical keyboards behind her. I bet most of them worked when they were tossed.

One of the reasons I put a case on my phone (othat than protection) is specifically to add bulk to it. I feel uneasy handling an iPhone 5 or 6 because I feel like it's going to find any way it can to fall out of my hands and shatter. I'd rather they shift their focus elsewhere. Making devices ever smaller and thinner was great at one time when products were bulky, but they're not any more, and my hands aren't getting any smaller.

I don't remember the 5, but the 6/6s are really slippery. I put a case on mine so it doesn't slip out too easily...and it provides a little protection too.

I don't see much wrong on OSX but lack of file management for ipad is painfull.

I too hate apple, mostly for ramming their bullshit ideologies down people's throat. Open source systems will always get my dollars. except linux, that shit sucks

Well lets see. *reads article for actual complaints rather than clickbait.... Finds they aren't actually IN the article, and have to read two other articles*

OK. Premise is apple apps are getting worse or not keeping up to an extreme degree.

So..

1) iTunes on the desktop. Was a POS, still is a POS, hasn't actually gotten worse, just for some reason the talking heads seem to now actually want to hold Apple accountable for the POS.

2) Mail. iOS mobile version is an incredibly good implementation of all the standards it interacts with. Has it jumped on the various band wagons about odd e-mail management strategies and what not? No. Does it work like shit with google, not really, google is just increasingly not playing well with others and the standards, and doesn't appear to be interested in helping create new standards or revise existing ones. Mail for OSX? Dear god, that hing is a steaming piece of shit that is both rudimentary for a desktop app and verging on hostile to the back end. It has been actively getting worse.

3) The new note.. yes it is stupid, but it NEVER competed with more complex offerings, and mostly it just added cloud integration that is kind of pointless. SO mostly holding the line.

4) iCloud. I don't bother with it, but it used to do some incredibly bad shit that could fuck you over automagically and by default. It seems to have improved greatly in that regard. It's an also ran that is less buggy.

5)Music. It's a new UI. The worst thing about it is that it tries to sell you their streaming service you don't want.

6) Photos. They can bitch about it on OSX, but the old option was photobooth, and that thing was the biggest steaming pile of nuclear dog shit. Short of stepping up to an actual nice photo management software that costs money, I can't bitch too much about it. It's better than photobooth and better than iPhoto, on par with a number of free offerings, and not as good as some pro offerings that cost actual money.

I too hate apple, mostly for ramming their bullshit ideologies down people's throat. Open source systems will always get my dollars. except linux, that shit sucks

Then what open source systems are getting your dollars?

That's all dependent really on stereo manufacturer. Only recently have stereo companies started supporting Android over USB. That's not a phone issue.

This is 100% completely false. Android audio over USB is not possible as its a data only connection (still unsure if usb c has this or not). The only option was mass storage mode which is not the same at all. Even the pioneer app radio had to use a convoluted HDMI setup which would pull the audio from the HDMI output from your phone. If it didnt have HDMI out then you where SOL. Since you dont seem to understand what i have said, apples USB interface has audio output built in. Thats why you see so many devices you just plug the phone into. You are actually playing from the device not just using it as a usb drive like android does.

That comes down to cost. You can't have a decent DAC in a $50 phone. Most will just use the integrated DAC. Others that care will have separate DACs, but will charge more. Although, companies like Samsung don't care. They'll charge you a lot and give you junk audio anyways.

What? Who is talking about $50 phones? You do realize Samsung uses woflson DACs in their exynos based phones right?

That's why I only gravitate to Sony for my phone. The audio quality isn't audiophile grade or anything, but it's good for those times I'm mobile. The HTC One is definitely better, but I don't like the rest of the phone.

Sony is more of a mixed bag then samsung for audio quality.

Companies also need to care about not taking away sales of their DAPs at the same time (if they have them). Apple essentially killed off their iPods cause of the iPhone. Sony was starting to do the same, so I think the newer Xperia phones may end up with worse sound. They already lack features from their Walkman line, even though they could have easily implemented them.

No they dont need to care... Apple is the only company that has a PMP with any sort of success. The walkman line is pathetic, if they cripple their phones to help that line then they are stupid. Theres a reason Sony dont have any real presence in the US phone market.

The ipod line is far from killed off. I still see ipods all the damn time especially for kids too young for phones. I have not seen a walkman since before ipods came to be.

I'm hoping in the future I can easily go back and forth between Android and Windows on the same device. MS is suppose to allow WP10 to be installed on an Android device. Let's see if that actually happens and if it'll be easy to go back to Android after swapping to Windows.

I was holding out hope when i still had my m8 that someone would find a way to dual boot the android and wp versions but from what i gathered the WP8 version required a special firmware setup making that impossible or at least incredibly difficult.

I used to be all for Apple up until a year ago. The premium price tag simply isn't worth it anymore. Still stuck with an iPhone 6 but looking to upgrade to a Samsung pretty soon here.

Create an acct on both machines using same username/password. Create share. Done. When you go to the other share, login. I'm too lazy for that and I have nothing important on my machines, so I simply just have the same username/password on my comps. So no logging in to access shares. Just click and you're in.

Win 8 or higher has fixed that with their Windows Live accounts, but you'll have to create a Windows Live account or use your existing Hotmail, Outlook, etc MS acct.

Has to be a lot of recycled code to be backwards compatible with things. You really think Apple doesn't reuse a whole lot of their code for new OSX versions. Hell half of their new OS's are just what MS calls a service pack and they use to charge $100 for those things.

Today's OS's have tons of recycled code, cause program developers come to expect certain functions to be available within the OS for them to use. So they don't have to code the functions into their own programs.

The only way to keep from recycling code is to not support old crap. MS is doing that now and guess what? Ppl are complaining about it. "What? Win 10 won't support my old Core 2 Duo or whatever!?! ZOMG, Screw MS!" There really is no win/win situation for MS when it comes to their OS. They'd love nothing more than to stop using recycled code, but the consumer base continues wanting their old programs to work on a new OS.

I don't see the problem with "recycled code". Why reinvent the wheel with every release? That's just plain stupidity.

Keep what works well, and change what needs changing.

Apple has always been for border-line technophobes who were impressed with pretty shiny things. How many gamers play on self-built over-clocked Apple systems? Apple has always been about an impressive interface that delivers far less than the promised potential.

i stopped upgrading my iphone, stupid radio and cloud wants to take over everything, i have to be connected to wifi for my crap to work. no more, im done with the upgrades.

Id rather not use shitty encoded mp3's from spotify when i have the option, also icloud? lol? the only free amount of storage you get is 5 Gb, when my mp3 collection alone is 50, nice try

"Shitty encoded mp3's" lol.

This is true. The hardware on Apple products becomes outdated and runs poorly with the continual updating of the operating system. This is my experience long before the hardware fails.

This is why I never update old apple hardware; it's the same planned obsolescence that nVidia screws us with in their gameworks garbage.

iCloud handles backups/restores for most data, which means I only deal with iTunes on a very limited basis -- that's why it was mentioned and that's why it's good enough for many iOS users. I'd also mention that for larger cloud-based storage you're looking at the same solutions regardless of Android or iOS.

As for people like you who're stuck with big HiFi music collections -- sucks to be you. There aren't many great streaming options (Tidal?). Yes, in your case iTunes is a b*tch. But then again, most people don't need to port around 50gb of music because "320kbps isn't good enough," so you're once again a niche use-case.

I used to load up iTunes everyday on my PC for iTunes radio but recently they got rid of the free ad supported model. I now use Pandora.

I just want drag and drop. Is there an app for that? I have a bunch of .pdf files I'd like to load on my iPad instead of my Surface Pro (The iPad being lighter for reading), and I can not for the life of me find an easy, convenient way to do it. I was able to do it with an Android tablet and my Surface (obvs), but the only ones I've been able to load on the iPad had to go through some stupid weird convoluted crap via iTunes. And then how do you delete them off?

I just want to be able to load and unload my own files please. That's why I hate iSoftware.

This is 100% completely false. Android audio over USB is not possible as its a data only connection (still unsure if usb c has this or not). The only option was mass storage mode which is not the same at all. Even the pioneer app radio had to use a convoluted HDMI setup which would pull the audio from the HDMI output from your phone. If it didnt have HDMI out then you where SOL. Since you dont seem to understand what i have said, apples USB interface has audio output built in. Thats why you see so many devices you just plug the phone into. You are actually playing from the device not just using it as a usb drive like android does.

Audio over USB has been available since Android 5.0. 15 months ago. Hence why they can use a USB DAC and why I mentioned it. Before that was where it had to be used as mass storage (unless the manufacturer decided to add the audio over usb themselves), which required the stereo equipment to support it. Which some stereos did.

What? Who is talking about $50 phones? You do realize Samsung uses woflson DACs in their exynos based phones right?

Yep. Their Galaxy S line has always been pretty good. Sadly, the same can't be said of other phones in their lineup.

Sony is more of a mixed bag then samsung for audio quality.

Not really. Sony's audio is pretty much just...in the middle, for all their phones. Where as manufactures like Samsung it can be pure junk, to okay, to pretty good. I know when I buy a Sony phone, I'll get okay audio. I don't need awesome audio on the go, cause my headphones are Bluetooth and aren't awesome anyways (Sennheiser Urbanite XL Wireless).

No they dont need to care... Apple is the only company that has a PMP with any sort of success. The walkman line is pathetic, if they cripple their phones to help that line then they are stupid. Theres a reason Sony dont have any real presence in the US phone market.

The ipod line is far from killed off. I still see ipods all the damn time especially for kids too young for phones. I have not seen a walkman since before ipods came to be.

Not every company can care about the US market right now. Some need to stabilize themselves in their own region first. The Walkman does well in Japan. In the states, it's pretty much non-existent. Although, I have no idea why the Walkman sells well their either, cause it's pretty much just, okay sound. Not good enough to justify it's high price. Nothing has changed for Sony. High price for average product, although the phones aren't badly priced.

I was holding out hope when i still had my m8 that someone would find a way to dual boot the android and wp versions but from what i gathered the WP8 version required a special firmware setup making that impossible or at least incredibly difficult.

Dual boot would be pretty awesome. I fear the WP won't be available for old phones or they'll make it super cumbersome to remove WP to go back to Android.

I became an Apple fanboi when I got my first iPod 2G -- what an upgrade from my previous Creative Jukebox (anyone remember those?) and my Windows Pocket PC PDA! When iPhones were the only game in town, I loved them, but only because I could usually jailbreak them to unlock "normal" features like drag-and-drop (even if was via scp tunnelled through SSH over the USB cable). Then jailbreaks became more difficult and lagged releases by quite a while. Then you had to remember to save SHSHs and everything before Apple closed the prior release's window. Around the time iOS 5 rolled around, I said fuck it, time to go Android. This was also a few months before the Nexus 4 was going to be released, so I got a few different used Android devices from CL/eBay to experience things first hand. Loved it, ditched Apple's walled garden, never went back.

IIRC, Apple used to be very stingy with RAM and the CPUs were nothing too special until after the iPhone 4s.

I spent hours the other day trying to get my iPad just to show up in iTunes so I could update it.

In the end I had to manually extract the iTunes installer and re-install the Apple Mobile Drivers manually - thanks Apple.

But it 'just works'.

Audio over USB has been available since Android 5.0. 15 months ago. Hence why they can use a USB DAC and why I mentioned it. Before that was where it had to be used as mass storage (unless the manufacturer decided to add the audio over usb themselves), which required the stereo equipment to support it. Which some stereos did.

I did not realize this actually happened. This is great news. Still though apple has had audio over usb since 2003. 13 years this has been around, 4 years before the first iphone even. Why in the world did it take android 7 years to adopt this?

Ill have to run the wifes note out to my car and see if it works at all. I assume not.

I did not realize this actually happened. This is great news. Still though apple has had audio over usb since 2003. 13 years this has been around, 4 years before the first iphone even. Why in the world did it take android 7 years to adopt this?

Ill have to run the wifes note out to my car and see if it works at all. I assume not.

Well Apple started with the iPod. It was obvious that it'd just move over to the iPhone and then the iPad, since it's the same OS.

Google was still trying to make a mobile OS in general. So audio over USB was hardly a concern. During the early days, Android really did suck. I've been using Android since Donut and it didn't become all that good, until ICS. Even with ICS, a lot of the stock apps weren't great either. I'd say JellyBean and KitKat was when Android finally was even with iOS and they could start implementing new features. Why the audio over USB probably came in Lollipop.

Personally was fine with me and probably majority of users. It won't be a commonly used feature. Hell, I still see ppl burning mp3 CDs, even though their car stereo supports a usb stick.

Well Apple started with the iPod. It was obvious that it'd just move over to the iPhone and then the iPad, since it's the same OS.

Google was still trying to make a mobile OS in general. So audio over USB was hardly a concern. During the early days, Android really did suck. I've been using Android since Donut and it didn't become all that good, until ICS. Even with ICS, a lot of the stock apps weren't great either. I'd say JellyBean and KitKat was when Android finally was even with iOS and they could start implementing new features. Why the audio over USB probably came in Lollipop.

Personally was fine with me and probably majority of users. It won't be a commonly used feature. Hell, I still see ppl burning mp3 CDs, even though their car stereo supports a usb stick.

I know all about the android early days. My first android phone was the CDMA HTC hero. I loved that thing, sold it and bought a samsung moment and hated it.

You say it wont be a commonly used feature but thats only because nobody flipping knows about it. Those same people you see burning mp3 discs i can just about guarantee if they owned an iphone and the car supported it they would use it. You dont see any android docks at walmart, cars are just now starting to get android integration. This has been a big thing for apple for years now.

Those iphone docks, alarms etc. sell very well. Im not sure why you think nobody will care considering its actually a pretty popular feature. The issue is the people that matter dont realize its actually a feature of the phone. They just know the dock/clock/car/whatever works with thier iphone/ipod and not android.

The car's support iPods. The most widely used mp3 player of it's time. iPhone is just an iPod with phone service on it. Really didn't need to change anything.

Also the benefit of the iPhone was that it didn't ever change much. You would expect your new iPhone to work in your old dock for years. Just look how many ppl were upset when they went to the lightning connector.

Android, well, just look at it. Most times when there's a dock, it only works with a specific phone. It won't work with the hundreds/thousands of other phones on the market. The usb connector can be on the bottom, on the top, on right side, on the left side, on the upper left side, on the lower right side, under a door flap, etc. No one bothers making a car dock, cause it'll just be outdated in 1/2 a year to a year. Just look at flagship phones. They tend to have pretty drastic changes between the different generations.

Even when you see android integration in a car, there's still no dock. It's going to be a cable and you just put your phone on a shelf, in the cup holder, etc. I've seen ppl just use the normal stereo aux cable, even though there's a usb port with iphone/android integration right next to the aux port. That'd charge their phone, while they listen to music. It's just that ppl don't care and will stick with what they know.

It's more likely that docks in general will just die out anyways. Why have a dock, when most well equipped new cars have Bluetooth?

Back