Why am I paying for 200Mb, and only capping around 100?

I3eyond

Gawd
I have an AC1750 running Cat6 to my PC. My computer’s LAN port is gigabit.

When I click on adapter settings it shows 1.0Gbps.

I have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem from the ISP.

If it matters I had a 10/100 router before.

Any help appreciated!

200Mb is Megabit denoted by the lower case b.

ISP's use the lower case b for marketing. Its more appealing when they give customers the number 200 instead of the number 25. There might be other reasons.

In the early days of the internet they did the reverse. For instance when cable modems first started showing up ( 1998 to 2000 ) they would list the speed in Megabytes as the number was again larger than that of dial-up modem numbers.

Marketing 101, bigger is always better.

200Mb means you will only get 25MB/s download. The uppercase B means Megabyte.

I have Google Fiber so I get 1Gb service or 1000Mb or 125MB/s or 200Mb x 5 or 5 x 25MB/s. Pay careful attention to the upper and lowercase B.

200Mb is on the lower end. Shop around if you can and look for at least 300 to 500 Megabit service. In some cases ISP's have unlisted greater speeds. Always call and ask. Most of the time you can get greater speeds for a slight additional cost.

Last edited:
200Mb is Megabit denoted by the lower case b.

ISP's use the lower case b for marketing. Its more appealing when they give customers the number 200 instead of the number 25. There might be other reasons.

In the early days of the internet they did the reverse. For instance when cable modems first started showing up ( 1998 to 2000 ) they would list the speed in Megabytes as the number was again larger than that of dial-up modem numbers.

Marketing 101, bigger is always better.

200Mb means you will only get 25MB/s download. The uppercase B means Megabyte.

I have Google Fiber so I get 1Gb service or 1000Mb or 125MB/s or 200Mb x 5 or 5 x 25MB/s. Pay careful attention to the upper and lowercase B.

200Mb is on the lower end. Shop around if you can and look for at least 300 to 500 Megabit service. In some cases ISP's have unlisted greater speeds. Always call and ask. Most of the time you can get greater speeds for a slight additional cost.
I have ran Speedtest and come in around 80-90. My buddy on the same ISP on the same plan gets over 200.

Is the modem the ISP's hardware or did you buy it separately?
nevermind, i missed the obvious

It may be a configuration issue, or could even be a simpler issue: they have not actually updated your authorization yet for the higher speed tier. This might be the case if you moved up a plan instead of joining new at the advertised rate. Hard to say for certain without more info, but have you called them already to confirm that everything is 100% on their end?

Their modem. I upped it to 200. I’ve called twice and they always want to send someone out. Isn’t it as easy as reprovisioning on their end if that’s the issue?

I have ran Speedtest and come in around 80-90. My buddy on the same ISP on the same plan gets over 200.

Check to see if you have QOS turned on in your router, if so, turn it off and see if you get the full speed.

Their modem. I upped it to 200. I’ve called twice and they always want to send someone out. Isn’t it as easy as reprovisioning on their end if that’s the issue?
First thing to test is to take everything out of the equation, get a laptop (or desktop), and plug it directly into the modem and run a speed test with nothing else in the way you'll likely have to restart both the computer and modem to get it to re-register.
If you still get only 90-100 with speed test (try multiple test locations), it would be safe to assume it's likely the modem or an issue on their side. (technically it could be the wiring from the modem to their hub too, but less likely)

Try the direct connect to the modem and relay the results, I've had an issue with my AC87U where i could only get 20Mb/s, did a factory reset on it and it started working at the full 300Mb/s.

Just to test, I would hook your computer by ethernet directly to your modem (bypass the router) and power off the modem and back on which will allow the MAC to reset for the device to the PC then. See if you get the full speed. If you do not, then it's the provider and not your router. Make sure to put your router back and then reset the modem one more time once you are done testing.

What PC do you have? Along with what NIC? What cat5 are you using or is it wifi.

You need to be wired to get the best speeds.

Really cheap wifi and the distance could degrade your speed.

There are many variables.

Give us a complete picture of your situation and Im sure we can get you some solid answers

He said he was using Cat6, I think, also if you just upped your speed.. Reset the modem.. Pull the power for a few minutes, then boot it. It is what I had to do when Comcast doubled my download speed from 200mb to 400mb..

Yeah you should reset your modem if you haven't.

Also if you have a crap nic that will kill speed.

Since you did the PC direct to modem test and it still under performs, the ISP tech inspection is the best next step. Could be the modem is refusing the upgrade request from the ISP. Just make sure you do your PC - modem test while the tech is there. Could be a mis-match between the modem and your stuff.

Are you running speedtest from the same server/host? Perhaps that host is capped at a 100Mbps uplink?

Try other speedtest services, including the one your ISP provides to ensure the link between you and your ISP is correct.

http://speedtest.xfinity.com/
https://www.spectrum.com/internet/speed-test.html
https://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
http://speedtest.att.com/speedtest/
http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest
https://www.verizon.com/speedtest/

Some of these may use the same underlying service.

At any rate, this is what I'm getting at...

upload_2018-5-27_17-12-11.png

Figured it out. It was a "DUH!" moment. My UPS was routing my ethernet, and it was limited to 10/100. Bypassing that has resolved the issue.

Thanks,
-I3

So, I pulled a similar stupid recently: moved, didn't want to use the router provided for the new location, forgot my old 5+ year old router, picked up a new one at Walmart.

Was supposed to be getting 200Mbit, was only getting 90Mbit...

...and it turned out that the router I'd bought was only 10/100.

I didn't bother to check because I didn't expect such things to still exist. The old router is 1Gbit. Put it back into service after digging it out, getting 230Mbit down.

No, not as easy as reprovisioning it. Comcast had to send two techs out after 4 different cable modems failed to link properly. First tech was a contractor that missed the obvious..... the modems all showed a blinking link light (which means it isn’t able to negotiate a stable link). The second tech, a Comcast employee, spotted it right away, attached the test equipment and said no channels are bonding reliably. He traced the problem back to the line from the pole to my building, and the place it was connected to on the pole was bad. He replaced the line and attached me to a good port and now I’m getting 230Mb to 310Mb on the 250Mb blast service with DOCSIS 3.1 32 downstream/3 upstream channels bonded.

The modems, BTW, were the Arris SB8200 and the Motorola MB8600. I ended up keeping the Motorola.

Good move on the motorola, though they're both the same chipset I've seen better firmware on the motorola's of late.

Good move on the motorola, though they're both the same chipset I've seen better firmware on the motorola's of late.

You sure about them being the same chipset? Anything labeled Motorola at this point is made by Zoom (Zoom Telephonics), which tend to produce very poor quality modems. Arris used to sell Modems under the Motorola Surfboard name before their contract expired a few years back, now Zoom is just milking the Motorola name.

Same chipsets different foundries, but yields on DOCSIS 3 chipsets are pretty stable, so it mostly comes down to firmware.

No, not as easy as reprovisioning it. Comcast had to send two techs out after 4 different cable modems failed to link properly. First tech was a contractor that missed the obvious..... the modems all showed a blinking link light (which means it isn’t able to negotiate a stable link). The second tech, a Comcast employee, spotted it right away, attached the test equipment and said no channels are bonding reliably. He traced the problem back to the line from the pole to my building, and the place it was connected to on the pole was bad. He replaced the line and attached me to a good port and now I’m getting 230Mb to 310Mb on the 250Mb blast service with DOCSIS 3.1 32 downstream/3 upstream channels bonded.

The modems, BTW, were the Arris SB8200 and the Motorola MB8600. I ended up keeping the Motorola.
Same thing happened to me a while back. I'm at the end of the line where the guy next to me can't get cable but I can :)

Back