Why A Gamer Was Duct-Taped To A Ceiling

AH those were the days! I remember around that same time having my 21st birthday in my Dad's garage hosting a LAN party. Was fun as hell, the only problem was that is was colder then normal for late March in Maryland and we had to battle the fumes from a propane heater.. LOL

Would have been a lot more efficient if he was just held up by the coaxial 10-base-2 network cables. :D (don't forget to terminate the end...) What a waste of tape!! Oh wait, that was 20-25 years ago. I guess the tape is ok. Not sure if Cat-5 will hold a person up. We have a tensile strength lab at my work. Might have to compare these some day. :D

I remember having lan party's in my younger days again in my parents basement. Ut2k3, counterstrike, etc. Those were the days.

That picture defines a generation's hardwork just for playing and have fun, and mind me it was seriously business and nothing..you really wanted to spectate games by standing in the room, if not playing; even that was fun.

Wow I remember that pic being posted here back in the 00s all the time. That and the little German kid playing unreal tournament, wrecking his computer.

I miss LANing, we used to do it all the time, but there's just not really a point anymore. We still have the occasional LAN get together, but just isn't the same.

Oh this takes me back to the first LAN party we held in my parent's garage.

Sorry for the quality, but this was recorded with a potato, then encoded with a potato to be playable on any potato.

Note the beige cases, 20 years ago the choice was: beige, very beige, slightly less beige, or paint your own damn case.

Window is covered with cardboard to defeat that pesky daylight

The unmissable CD copying exchange near the end of any LAN gathering
My current PC has no drives whatsoever, back than it had a CD-ROM, a CD-R writer, a 3.5 and 5.25 floppy. What USB?

That guy playing dangerously close to the acetylene tank is a lead designer at a big gaming studio nowadays.

Oh man I remember those huge white CRT monitors :D
I had a 30"-something CRT monitor that weighted 35kg. I always paid my friend to carry it around. He was huge and could barely walk around with it. Funny thing is, I paid him like $2-3 to carry it for me. Teenage days :D

Oh man I remember those huge white CRT monitors :D
I had a 30"-something CRT monitor that weighted 35kg. I always paid my friend to carry it around. He was huge and could barely walk around with it. Funny thing is, I paid him like $2-3 to carry it for me. Teenage days :D
30 something? That must have been the saskwatch or chupacabra of monitors. The largest CRT monitor I ever seen was like 22" and that was already incredibly huge. None of my friends or me could afford anything larger than a 15", I remember that with the 17" I got after my high school graduation I was king of the hill in my entire group of acquaintances.
I don't think even TVs were that big, the largest was maybe 28 or 29" that I remember. Anything larger than that was one of those shitty projector box tvs. 30 only started to become a thing with LCDs. But even the first (affordable) wave of LCD TVs weren't larger than 26-28"

30 something? That must have been the saskwatch or chupacabra of monitors. The largest CRT monitor I ever seen was like 22" and that was already incredibly huge. None of my friends or me could afford anything larger than a 15", I remember that with the 17" I got after my high school graduation I was king of the hill in my entire group of acquaintances.
I don't think even TVs were that big, the largest was maybe 28 or 29" that I remember. Anything larger than that was one of those shitty projector box tvs. 30 only started to become a thing with LCDs. But even the first (affordable) wave of LCD TVs weren't larger than 26-28"

I don't remember where I got it and how much I paid for it or what company made it. It was about 15-16 years ago. The thing was gigantic and I used it for a long time until it eventually died. The friend who was 2m tall (6'6") could barely hold it for longer than a few minutes. It was comical watching him walk around breathing heavily with that thing in his arms.
When it comes to largest CRT size, I believe it was 43" from Sony. That was a TV.

I don't remember where I got it and how much I paid for it or what company made it. It was about 15-16 years ago. The thing was gigantic and I used it for a long time until it eventually died. The friend who was 2m tall (6'6") could barely hold it for longer than a few minutes. It was comical watching him walk around breathing heavily with that thing in his arms.
When it comes to largest CRT size, I believe it was 43" from Sony. That was a TV.

yeah i think i had a 26 inch, friggin thing was huge and barely fit on my desk. LCD's eventually came out and my parents refused to let me get an LCD, they said until your old monitor dies you can't have a new one. finally a couple months later my old monitor "magically" ended up on the floor and no longer worked ;) .. i still regret it to this day though since the only LCD i could afford from doing work around the house was a crappy 19 inch 1280x1024. but i was still the cool kid since i had an LCD. :)

sadly though none of my friends where really computer people since most of our families didn't have much money, i was just lucky that my father and my uncle realized how important computers were going to be in the future so even if they had money problems my cousin and i always had computers to use.. so my first lan event was an Air Warrior convention that i went to with my dad where i got to take my brand new self built P1 166mhz. most hilarious part in all of it was that i was legit the only kid there, but there was a guy that had a dual processor system(can't remember what it was) and i was in awe of that thing.

Last edited:

I had a Sony 32 inch Widescreen TV for years as my main living room TV. That thing was a BEAST to move and was VERY front heavy. Was always terrified it would topple forward and crush someone. Once my first child started walking and pushing stuff that TV was disposed of.

When I was in HS/college, we used to do Halo XBOX parties (Halo 1 didn't have online). We'd have 16-20 of us meet at someone's house and I'd bring my 27" CRT TV for one of the groups of 4. That was the biggest TV I could carry by myself, so that's the one I always took. Playing MP online just doesn't hold a candle to those events.

I did some LAN parties in my days, but they were never quite as fun as our all night XBOX Halo/Project Gotham Racing events.

LOL! Old times, man what a blast. My house was the LAN party house, not because i had a lot of space (it was a small house), but because i had a pile of 10M ethernet hubs. Yes hubs. But i had fiber linking them together, and the fiber links were 100M. So yeah, a lot of memories of CS and UT and Doom multiplayer at the old "casa del ghetto."

And the best part, was since it was my house, and i didn't have to drive, i could drink up as much as i wanted. ^-^

That German kid cracks me up.

The largest CRT monitor that I used was a 21" (19's and 21's were fairly common). There may have been larger models, but I don't recall, and if there was, they weren't popular or affordable. I moved from 21" to a 22" LCD panel

LOL! Old times, man what a blast. My house was the LAN party house, not because i had a lot of space (it was a small house), but because i had a pile of 10M ethernet hubs. Yes hubs. But i had fiber linking them together, and the fiber links were 100M. So yeah, a lot of memories of CS and UT and Doom multiplayer at the old "casa del ghetto."

And the best part, was since it was my house, and i didn't have to drive, i could drink up as much as i wanted. ^-^

My house was also the go-to LAN party house amongst our friends. I didn't have a lot of room, so we had to move things around to make room, but it was mostly a cluster-fuck of fold out tables and chairs in each room of the house littered with Ethernet cables. The main reason why my house was the go-to house was because I was the only one with broadband and the network to handle a lot of people. I had two 1.5m DSL connections with a dual-WAN 8 port router and various other 10/100 switches. Our main problem was power distribution. We would use extension cords to manually load balance the power around the house.

Back