Why 8K TV is a non-starter for PC users

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by erek, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Gideon

Gideon 2[H]4U

Unless your inches away from the screen most wouldn't be able to tell if it's 4K or 8K. You have to get to massive size screens to even tell the difference and then you need actual non upscaled content to really appreciate it.

jeffj7 and Red Falcon like this.
  2. Bowman15

Bowman15 [H]ard|Gawd

It's not the resolution that is the problem, its the equipment and bandwidth needed to push it at acceptable refresh rates and fps. And forget streaming...

More isn't always better.

jfreund likes this.
  3. NeoNemesis

NeoNemesis 2[H]4U

If 8k does become standard, it'll be the last increase in resolution for anything but niche applications like VR.

4. dgz

dgz [H]ardness Supreme

AA algorithms do not make aliasing go away. It's still there but blurrier. Even without 8k monitors, rendering stuff at higher res, then down-sampling the image to match the screen resolution produces better results than AA algorithms

Wine, Revdarian, N4CR and 2 others like this.
  5. Arcygenical

Arcygenical Will Watercool for Crack

Most people think airpods offer an amazing sound experience...

T4rd, N4CR, Armenius and 4 others like this.
  6. dgz

dgz [H]ardness Supreme

See my reply to [Z]

7. defaultluser

defaultluser [H]ardForum Junkie

No, you've already proven that, for your viewing distance, 1080p is already satisfactory. Are you seriously going to view your giant light bulb of a 75" TV from 5 feet away just to prove a point?

From normal viewing distances 1080p video/gaming is indistinguishable from 4k on a TV. Even though you view your monitor at about half the distance you view a TV (from size vs viewing distance), there is still a finite resolution at which going beyond you will not notice a difference. That resolution is gong to be around 4k for most users.

You may be able to highlight some corner cases, but for 95% of content consumer's use cases, it's not noticeable. To the market, that makes 8k worthless.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  8. Todd Walter

Todd Walter Gawd

Considering how much of the source material is upscaled over-compressed crap, that's understandable. With stuff mastered for it, on my OLED 4k HDR panel, you can instantly spot the difference between 2k & 4k from 30' away.

9. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

That's because most people are watching streaming content typically at 1080p or worse on their 4K TV. I've established many times that the bandwidth currently common in "4K" streaming is barely enough for an acceptable 1080p stream. If you watch cable TV it's an even worse comparison because most "HD" channels still broadcast at 720p "half HD." Then there are those who buy an upscaling DVD player, watch their old DVD movies, and complain there is no difference.

I guess that kind of proves your point, but not for the reason you were probably thinking. Most people can't tell a difference because they are ignorant about their content consumption, simply eating up what is advertised and what the sales person tells them.

clockdogg, GoldenTiger, N4CR and 2 others like this.
  10. ochadd

ochadd Gawd

The content I consume comes from Dish and streaming services. Maybe that's the problem but I pay $27 a month for all my TV and $3-6 per new movie. Personally there's no way I'm paying $30 for every movie to get a better 4k picture. Maybe my absolute favorites but ignorance is bliss. I don't think my Blueray player has been turned on in years.

11. sleepeeg3

sleepeeg3 [H]ardness Supreme

I agree. 1080p is fine for most desktop monitors for gaming. You lose 3x the processing power on making lines less jaggy, when other visual improvements would have a much bigger impact, as others have said.

12. mnewxcv

mnewxcv [H]ardness Supreme

Are these your words or are you just posting what the link says?

13. erek

erek 2[H]4U

i'll start using quotation marks more often going forward

14. Ricky T

Ricky T Limp Gawd

The race just to have more pixels is a bit silly especially at typical monitor sizes.

15. TheSlySyl

TheSlySyl Limp Gawd

I normally love Digital Foundry but everything about that video annoyed the fuck out of me. I remember gaming on CRTs, I GREATLY prefer my high res flatscreens and especially my 4k ones.

I do not miss CRTs at all. I remember back in the LAN days, lugging my 50LB+ 1280x1024 18inch 75hz CRT around.

Armenius likes this.
  16. Nebell

Nebell [H]ard|Gawd

I think 4k resolution is enough for even big (40"+) screens on your computer desk. I've used 55" 4k TV which was sitting very close to me and had no problems with pixels.

VR however, I'm sceptical that it will look good even with 8k.
    Index does a good job with the screen door effect (depending a lot on the game), but the visual quality is miles behind my 4k TV.

17. Revdarian

Revdarian 2[H]4U

Heh, if you want to read about a technology killed by greed fuckery that would have been a best of both worlds alternate reality you should read about SED TV. Imagine if your crt could be thin and low power like a lcd with all the benefits of CRT* picture quality /motion resolution.

Chances are that it would lose against quantum dots but it would have been way better in the meantime :-p

EDIT :* sorry I initially wrote lcd in automatic, it's way too early.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019 at 4:16 AM
    Armenius and GhostCow like this.
  18. Revdarian

Revdarian 2[H]4U

I forgot to share this link to provide the basis for my "it is a waste" statement :

https://michaelbach.de/ot/lum-hyperacuity/index.html

You can read it and try the interactive test to see for yourself how hyperacuity is indeed a 5-10x higher level of visual acuity in very specific spots/situations VS regular acuity which is why a smart resolution is my proposed solution since 5x-10x higher resolution on the full screen is a massive increase in required everything.

While we get to something like that a mix of AA will always be better.

Armenius likes this.
  19. nilepez

nilepez [H]ardForum Junkie

And that's only 60% more than a 24" 1200p monitor, which I bought 12 years ago.

20. nilepez

nilepez [H]ardForum Junkie

I can see them on my 65" monitor if I'm within 5', so I'm not so sure 8K is unneeded, but we'll see in a few years.

Armenius likes this.
  21. Dark12

Dark12 [H]ard|Gawd

!remindme 10 years
    I think some peoples attitudes will be a lot different then.
    Makes me think of Bill Gates saying 640K is more memory than anyone will ever need.

Armenius likes this.
  22. Shoganai

Shoganai Limp Gawd

Someday 8K will be normal. A lot of things we can't even imagine right now will be normal. That's how technology works.

23. AceGoober

AceGoober Live! Laug[H]! Overclock!

At current time, 8K is a blip on the distant horizon. Current hardware is, in my opinion, inadequate to support 8K for gaming purposes. Professional graphics artists, office productivity? Sure, for those who feel thg hey need to have it.

For me, 4k or 3440 x 1440 is plenty enough resolution for my purposes. 8K would be a want, not a need and even then I really don't see, at this time, any need I may ever have which would require 8K.

Ranger101 likes this.
  24. Stoly

Stoly [H]ardness Supreme

At one point I thought 1280x1024 was the highest resolution I'd ever need. Today I won't go back from 4k.

25. Armenius

I thought the same, only I used a normal 4:3 1280x960 monitor. Then I got a 1600x1200 monitor for a steal and realized how wrong I was. I say bring on the pixel invasion.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  26. Youn

Youn [H]ardness Supreme

omg this is so low res, needs 512k at least

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDyR8cXxRr1XmS9WSzKl1toSgEhJgfiVLH4yGnlhoul6SdmaoR&s.jpg

27. DanNeely

DanNeely 2[H]4U

For gaming we really need whatever comes after HDMI 2.1 so we can have 8k @120hz or faster.

TheSlySyl likes this.
  28. bonehead123

bonehead123 [H]ard|Gawd

The REAL question is:

How much higher can we go before it all becomes just a bunch of useless hogwash.... whether in k's of resolution, GHZ of speed, TFlops of bandwidth, etc etc....

We should just go ahead and turn ourselves into machines with infinite capabilities & be done with it...

29. Aix.

Aix. [H]ard|Gawd

Yeah but:

741556.jpg

Ranger101, GoldenTiger and Armenius like this.
  30. Youn

Youn [H]ardness Supreme

I'mnot sure, but I think the race for printer DPI has kinda settled now, so something similar might happen with screen size/res... it's why folks bring up AR/VR, because of course that simplifies things in terms of predicting where it'll end as it's more of a fixed screen size and known retinal-resolution target.

defaultluser and IdiotInCharge like this.
  31. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge [H]ardForum Junkie

The bigger issue is that we're approaching the cusp of 'resolutionless' display output.

That is, the resolution of the display and the resolution of output rendering are no longer tightly coupled, with pixels smaller than human eyes can distinguish and seamless scaling implemented all around.

While desktop operating systems are pretty behind here, we're already seeing it fairly well implemented in mobile devices and to different extents in consoles, with the seeds on desktops in games with dynamic resolution scaling and variable shader technology.

32. Westwood Arrakis

Westwood Arrakis [H]ard|Gawd

33. IdiotInCharge

You pretty much need to define viewing distance for any particular display device, and normalize that to your common extreme cases (a 55" TV used as a desktop monitor, a phone used 6" away from the users face...) in conjunction with human vision. Get to the point where the utility of increasing resolution no longer advances.

GoldenTiger, Revdarian, Youn and 2 others like this.
  34. Todd Walter

Todd Walter Gawd

My first monitor (excluding the TV for my VIC20) had a dot pitch of .43. I don't often miss those days but when I do, I use a VT220 type font! :oldman: http://sensi.org/~svo/glasstty/

Armenius and IdiotInCharge like this.
  35. IdiotInCharge

For most desktop applications, this is actually a decent stopping point. While I've farmed them out to family members, I did have a double-stack of 24" IPS panels that at normal viewing distances had great text sharpness, color, and viewing angles.

I'd have taken higher refresh rates for quality of life if I could, but that's about it, unless they were say 4k with 200% scaling.

36. dvsman

dvsman 2[H]4U

I remember talking to some camera guys and one of them said the human eyes resolved about 50 megapixels at the sharpest point (or something like that, I can't remember exactly).

4K is about 8 megapixels ... so it looks like we still have a helluva way to go before we hit the "No more improvements" ceiling.

Armenius likes this.
  37. Armenius

At what size are we talking about, though? 9600x5400 (50MP in 16:9) at 138" is still 80 PPI. On a 55' movie screen it would be 17 PPI.

38. That_Sound_Guy

That_Sound_Guy 2[H]4U

Hey! Don't drug us into your visual argument! :mad:

:LOL:

GoldenTiger likes this.
  39. IdiotInCharge

That 'sharpest point' qualifier is going to come with a stack of caveats I think. Being somewhat into photography myself... actually getting your eyes to that point isn't something you do a lot, and it depends significantly on the content itself, as your brain doesn't interpret what individual rods and cones sense the same way that camera pixels do, or even the way photosensitive crystals do with film.

8K is 32MP, and since that's available in the consumer space now, we already have examples that are 'close'.

Now, to provide a bit more context to the discussion: we should really be talking about pixels per degree, which is a function of both pixel size and viewing distance.

GoldenTiger and Armenius like this.
  40. Ranger101

Ranger101 [H]Lite

download.jpg

Sure we don't have the processing power but if we ever do it'll be SWEET.

zehoo, Armenius and Dark12 like this.