Whut to do with all my stuff when college comes?

BioHazard.89

Limp Gawd
So I'll be approaching college shortly.... 4 years.... and I'm curious as to what to do with all my stuff! lol - Right now I have a collection of 5 computers and 2 monitors.... I plan on getting more just for my LAN Party (Servers and such) and even then expand into more areas, I'm getting a homebuilt rackmount shelf in a week or two and I plan on putting that to use as well......

Any one have any Ideas or solutions? I would be attending college away from my state (South Carolina) or maybe USC for business....

Are your parent's cool with letting you store the stuff for 4 years?

If not lots of it will prolly be a bit outdated by the time you get out of college

Turn it into a building folding station. Just tell your parents that you will pay them on a monthly basis (a small amount of money that is) to power the computers.

I am upgrading and selling stuff constantly sense I do fold and run a LAN party and plan on expanding computer operations...... Would it be worth looking into a apartment / house / etc near the school??

An apartment might be more suited for your needs but will probably be less convienent, more expensive, and you wouldn't really get the college experience. If you have all these plans already to expand whatever it is you do, is college really for you?

I am attending College this year for my first year. I just moved into my appartment this month and I have to say it is nice. I enjoy the piece and quiet here (i've heard about college dorms...). Anyhow there is a ton of room for a lot of computer equipment if I had it (i'm running a desktop seting which I plug my laptop into).

For me I found that having an appartment was not that much more money although it was a bit more expensive. I guess i'll find out by christmas time I suppose.

If you do decide to get yourself an appartment, try and make sure it is near a bus stop so you can grab the bus and head to school. That's especially nice if it's raining etc. And in the winter (depending on where you live).

I'm sure it's inconvenient at this point, but you should get an apartment or condo or house. The "college experience" is the parties, not the dorms. While dorms may be cheaper, adding the meal plan in seems to tip the scale in favor of apartments. I could go on about living off-campus, but as this is a hardware forum, I would recommend living off campus, especially if those computers are valuable to you.

Take what you think you will use and sell the rest of it. I had a shitload of stuff that I left at home but I never need it so this past summer I ended up throwing away or selling a lot of it. It it is just a few computers then I'm sure you will find room for them wherever you are staying.

I've thought about selling my stuff when it comes around but...... Maybe it'll happen sooner....

I would like to have "the college experiance" what ever that may be.....

and going to college?? I'm proably going to end up going to college not to learn more about computers and such - I've gotten this far without any real education - but more about busines.... And on top of that, i'm leaning toward the ideology "People are stuipid and will respect some one with a piece of paper that says someone has a degree" I know I don't really need college but..... you never know....

i brought my desktop with me to college but i figured i was never using my laptop so i went my desktop home with my sister and stuck exclusively to my laptop. so i suggest you just offload some stuff

i just moved a few hours from home, so i couldn't store my extra computers there any more while i was in college. i'd say a two bedroom apartment is your best bet. assuming you have a gf to split it with. if not. heh. good luck finding room. i've still got a lot of my stuff stuck in the closet cause i just dont have room :(

Canon said:
For me I found that having an appartment was not that much more money although it was a bit more expensive.

I hope your not an English major!

as to whether or not on campus is cheaper that varies by school. At my school apartments were incredibly cheaper than the dorms and that is even without the meal plan

I'm in the same situation as you. I'm going to be in college in about 4-5 years, and I've already got 2 computers(my main desktop and my Linux server). I was thinking about getting an apartment instead of going to a dorm. Reasons being: 1) MUCH quieter 2) I can do whatever I want to :D 3) I don't have to worry about my cooking time, when it's my time to do this or that etc 4) I can probably get better internet than what the dorm has. I've heard so many horror stories about dorm net access. Most of the time it's either really slow or it goes down a lot. Plus you gotta deal with all the n00bs downloading whatever they want to. :rollseyes:

Anyway, apartment sounds like the best thing for you. Just make sure you can make enough money to pay for it. ;)

One good thing about the dorms is that you dont have to pay the electric bill there. I live with 4 other people in a house near campus and we all run our computers 24/7 which I'm sure accounts for most of the electric bill. Along with 4 air conditioners we get like $300 electric bills each month. In the dorm we didnt have to worry about it cause it was the school's problem.

I would say that if you dont plan on using your extra gear while you're at college ever, you might as well sell it and make a few bucks which you'll almost cernainly be glad you have later on in your college career ;)

Depending on what school you go to the internet in the dorms varies. My school has an OC12 backbone on campus so the internet was always fast as hell no matter what people were downloading or how many IRC servers were uploading...

BioHazard.89, i suggest you keep your sig to 10 lines. Having a sig is not a right, but a privelege. It can and will be revoked if a moderator notices.

Darth_Fluffy said:
BioHazard.89, i suggest you keep your sig to 10 lines. Having a sig is not a right, but a privelege. It can and will be revoked if a moderator notices.
It is 10 lines for me, but I am running at 1024x768. I believe the sigs have to be 10 lines at 800x600, so it does look like he will run over 10 lines.

jpmkm said:
It is 10 lines for me, but I am running at 1024x768. I believe the sigs have to be 10 lines at 800x600, so it does look like he will run over 10 lines.
Indeed, I missed the 800x600 part.

The_Tecknishen said:
One good thing about the dorms is that you dont have to pay the electric bill there. I live with 4 other people in a house near campus and we all run our computers 24/7 which I'm sure accounts for most of the electric bill. Along with 4 air conditioners we get like $300 electric bills each month. In the dorm we didnt have to worry about it cause it was the school's problem.

1. Your electric bills are due to the ac, not your computers. I don't feel like proving it, but I know there are numerous threads on computer power consumption.

Living in the dorms, even for just one year, is really worth it.
Are you really gonna sit inside with your 5 (or however many) computers all day? You're in College!!! Get out, go do stuff! Drink, party, meet people! (of the opposite sex!) :D

defcom_1 said:
1. Your electric bills are due to the ac, not your computers. I don't feel like proving it, but I know there are numerous threads on computer power consumption.

Living in the dorms, even for just one year, is really worth it.
Are you really gonna sit inside with your 5 (or however many) computers all day? You're in College!!! Get out, go do stuff! Drink, party, meet people! (of the opposite sex!) :D

Between the classes, homework, group projects, and social events, you won't have time to sit and look at 5 computers. My advice...bring one computer for homework and games...you'll have enough other things to do.

I also don't know where some people get their info about dorms. Your bills are all rolled into one, which is usually much cheaper than apartments. It's not always loud and noisy, only on Fri and Sat nights. And even then, you just shut your door if you want quiet. The internet is very fast, and is included in the cost of the room. I enjoyed living in the dorms for 3 years at Drexel. I had an apartment too after that, and it had some pluses, but there was certainly nothing wrong with the dorms, either.

Back