WHS wont shut off.

antok86

[H]F Junkie
i have a problem with my whs...for some reason when i shut down it wont fully turn off. i can still see the power led on and teh fans spinning. i can hear the hard drives spin down and turn off also there is no video signal after i shut down just the led and fans.

any ideas? i did add a sata card..could it be this is keeping the system with power after a shutdown?

I have the same problem with one of my Windows 2003 64-bit Standard server. Powering down just reboots the PowerEdge 2900. It drives me nuts.

I'd have to push the power button off right after Window's "shutting down" disappears, when POST appears to shut it down for whatever reason. Thankfully I rarely need to shut it down though.

I'm not sure what causes this. I'm betting it's the same issue with your WHS server.

I'm guessing your WHS server is headless?

I have the same problem with one of my Windows 2003 64-bit Standard server. Powering down just reboots the PowerEdge 2900. It drives me nuts.

I'd have to push the power button off right after Window's "shutting down" disappears, when POST appears to shut it down for whatever reason. Thankfully I rarely need to shut it down though.

I'm not sure what causes this. I'm betting it's the same issue with your WHS server.

I'm guessing your WHS server is headless?
what do you mean headless?

No monitor, keyboard, or mouse attached. Basically, you control the server remotely.

yes thats correct..i can attach those if needed to diagnose the issue

yes thats correct..i can attach those if needed to diagnose the issue

Odd indeed. I don't think being headless has anything to do with it specifically. Mine is headless and works fine, also it is designed and should be to run as a headless server.I would suspect a settings issue.

pcgeek11

mine was running headless....i dont know if it has to do with the sata add on card..but i just noticed it after wards..or could be after the powerpack update

Technically it's a PITA to run WHS headed... There's no external VGA port, for example...

How are you shutting it down? Shouldn't matter, but have you tried via both the Console and through Windows itself (RDP)?

yes i have tried both and also just pressing the power button without holding it. which is set to shutdown

Kindof sounds like sleep except the fans are still on...

First thing I'd try is running
shutdown /s /f /t 0

That'll force it to shutdown. I cannot remember if 2003 supports the /s switch though, that might not be in there.

Shutdown
/s (Specified a shutdown, not a restart, or hibernate, etc)
/f (Forces stuff to close)
/t 0 (Wait 0 seconds)

am i supposed to use those as a command /S? or is that just shortcut talk? sorry for being a noob

Just do start-run
And type in
shutdown /s /f /t 0

If it doesn't work, take out the /s part and just run it
shutdown /f /t 0

ok just hooked up a monitor....i shut it down...with the command and it said Shutting down then the window goes away and now all i see is just the cursor and the wallpaper

Try reseting your BIOS settings to default would be my first thing to check. Seems like there may be some sort of problem with Windows communicating to the devices to actually shut them down

Try reseting your BIOS settings to default would be my first thing to check. Seems like there may be some sort of problem with Windows communicating to the devices to actually shut them down

Yeah, I would try this as well. Also flash to the latest bios version if you don't have it already.

I apologize for confusing you about the headless question. I did not intend on making it sound like your server being headless might have something to do with it. I asked so you could hop on your server to check its BIOS. I went out of town for Christmas, so I wasn't around to follow up in this post. Whoops :-P

As Techie said, it sounds like a BIOS issue. You're explicitly telling your server to shut down, even in command line, but your server reboots regardless. So we know it's likely not a Windows misconfiguration.

I'm not sure where to suggest looking into in the BIOS. Wake on LAN perhaps, or the board's power management or any other wake feature it has would be the first thing I'd check. BIOS update would also be something I'd check.

ok ill have to check on those...but what could have caused this? specially in the bios since it was working fine before no problems

ok ill have to check on those...but what could have caused this? specially in the bios since it was working fine before no problems

Dunno, to determine cause we first have to determine the problem and see what fixes it :)

check the bios for a Wake on PCI setting. I had that enabled by default in a bios once, and the computer would turn back on whenever there was any network traffic (which was pretty much all the time), and it definitely gave the illusion that the computer was restarting instead of shutting down.

Back