whs vs win8 vs nas for backup

jdl

Weaksauce
I currently have an htpc that i leave on all the time. It has my movies and music and pictures. Then i created a whs v1 machine for backup purposes only, it was great. Then one day it crashed (storms and old hardware), so i created a whs 2011 machine for backup only). I received an error in my database backup and cant repair it, so i am now forced to use win7 backup onto the whs server.

1. just keep this whs 2011 and use the win7 backup ?
2. reinstall whs v1 ?
3. buy a nas, use it for backup and put all the movies/music/pics on it, and then just have the htpc a device to play movies only ?
4. Buy win 8 and use that to backup ?
5. Other ?

which would seem the best option? I like option 1 since it involves the least amount of work and $0. I can restore from my backups on the whs2011 but cant create new ones. The issue is i am unfamiliar with the win7 backups that are now going to the whs.

I also like #3, but that will be the most $ and most work short term. It will however free up the htpc, cost less electric, and will have a true media center. I was thinking synology ds212j? My concern with this is do i have harddrives that will work without buying new ones, and can i do all of this without screwing up my current data.

thanks for any suggestions

Back