WHS PP3 to add TV Archiving option

rhouck

2[H]4U
http://blogs.technet.com/homeserver...hancements-for-windows-7-based-computers.aspx

TV%20Archive_thumb.jpg

TV Archiving

The TV Archive tile in Windows Media Center will give users the option to move recorded TV content to the home server in a variety of resolutions. The recorded TV shows are archived in the correct resolution for the type of device that will be used for playback. TV Archive is optimized for Windows Media Center computers, Windows Mobile-based phones, and the Zune player, however, any device capable of playing WMV files can take advantage of this feature.

· TV – Original Resolution

· Windows Mobile – 320 x 240, 500 Kbps, .WMV

· Zune – 640 x 480, 1500 Kbps, .WMV

Users can select individual TV shows, a series of shows, or all TV recordings to automatically be moved to the home server. Because Windows Home Server storage space can be easily expanded, users can keep all the TV shows that they want in their collection.

I know there have been various add-ins/hacks that allowed this, but nice to see it being integrated natively!

I think I just came

No seriously this is effin awesome.
Now I wonder if you have multiple HTPC's if it will show your recorded shows if you recorded them from a different HTPC

As long as you're connected to the same server share and you record them to that location, there should be no problem having it show up on all your HTPCs.

As long as you're connected to the same server share and you record them to that location, there should be no problem having it show up on all your HTPCs.

Just to avoid any potential confusion, you mean "set to be moved to the same server share" rather than "record", since technically recording directly to WHS is still not supported.

Won't be an issue for most, though it does mean that you won't be able to set up a recording on your living room HTPC and expect it to be immediately available for viewing on your bedroom HTPC (you'll still have to wait for WHS to move it to the Recorded TV share).

But once it does, there will be zero issues accessing it on anything with access to that share/

Well, when it says "Move TV recordings to my home server".. I'd assume that means it places them in the "Recorded TV" folder on WHS when it's done recording. But yea, I think we're on the same page. TV recordings, even HD aren't very big per hour of recording time, so it would be under a minute of transfer time if you were on gig-e.

Well with Win7 support, you could use libraries and it might make it available earlier...but im not real sure how cross-shared libraries would work

Well, when it says "Move TV recordings to my home server".. I'd assume that means it places them in the "Recorded TV" folder on WHS when it's done recording. But yea, I think we're on the same page. TV recordings, even HD aren't very big per hour of recording time, so it would be under a minute of transfer time if you were on gig-e.

Hmm that's a good question. We can see that at the top is the halfway visible option to "Archive all TV recordings automatically," the only question will be WHEN it does it. My thought was it wouldn't happen until when it does its optimization sometime during the night (to avoid lagging slower systems/networks; isn't that how all the current add-in versions work?) but it would be preferable if it is something that is user-defined for those that don't want/need to wait.

I don't do a lot of TV recording so wouldn't be a huge issue either way for me, but I could see how it would matter to some users

this is great, i am in the process of configuring my Norco 4020 WHS atm...

great timing, hopefully PP3 is released soon.

cool... thanks for the heads up, I will try it soon... still doing wire management on my 4020, the damn thing said non-sharp edges..... well tell that to my right hand. damn thing cut me like 3 times..

Yeah this is pretty darn cool. I just got my movies moved over to my new 4220 and am quite happy I can do this with my TV. Kudos Microsoft.

How about someone using CableCard? (Like me) I don't think this will work. CableCard content is protected and can only be played back on the PC it was recorded on :(

Back