2[H]4U
Server 2008 R2 install
WHS installed in Hyper-V
All disks (except OS) added to the WHS as passthrough disks

ISSUE #1
Added the Disk Management add-in to WHS
- Hard drive activity shows up fine
- BUT, hard drive temp shows up as N/A

Any ideas why? Or another good way/place to access the temp? I don't really need constant real-time monitoring... just want to get an idea of where temps are at in a new case setup (since I have a feeling they are a little high due to a fan swap in a Norco 4220). If it's something I need to monitor from within 2k8 rather than WHS that's fine... just need to know

ISSUE #2

This one is a bigger issue and it involves my (in)ability to hot swap drives. If I try to add a drive, it will usually show up in Disk Management... but I can't seem to really do anything with it or get it to show up in WHS. And while I can usually add and put one drive offline, if I start trying to add more or really do anything, Disk Management just crashes and I the only fix seems to be a full restart of 2008...

Now, if I shutdown Hyper-V / WHS, and THEN start adding drives.... everything works perfectly. So basically I *can* hot swap... I just can't do it with a VM open.

Is this normal behavior? :confused: It's not the absolute end of the world but certainly restricts the utility of being able to hotswap since I have to shutdown WHS, add the drive, then restart WHS.

It is also going to make populating my wireframe drive layout in WHS an absolute BITCH if I can't pull/re-add drives with WHS running to figure out which drive bay is which drive! :p

I can get Speedfan to check disk temps if installed on the host os (Server 2k8), just not within WHS. Good enough for now, confirmed that disk temps look fine which is all i really cared about.

Still open to the hotswap bug suggestions though :)

Are you trying to connect new disks dynamically to your WHS VM via IDE ror SCSI?

2k8 R2 Hyper-V only supports dynamic changes to VM disk configurations for disks connected through a VMS already installed virtual SCSI controller, not though the virtual IDE controller.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/hyperv-r2.aspx

"Dynamic VM storage
Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V supports hot plug-in and hot removal of storage. By supporting the addition or removal of Virtual Hard Drive (VHD) files and pass-through disks while a VM is running, Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V makes it possible to reconfigure VMs quickly to meet changing workload requirements. This feature allows the addition and removal of both VHD files and pass-through disks to existing SCSI controllers for VMs."

SCSI. The only disc on the IDE controller is the initial virtual disk. =\

The big problem I am seeing though is that hot plug-in of a new drive with the VM running causes Disk Management to malfunction even without trying to add it to the VM. The fact that it screws up the host OS is the real worry as it takes significantly longer to reboot the entire system than to merely to power down/power up the WHS VM.

I may just cash in on one of my two free technet support phone calls since this is a pretty fundamental issue.

Back