WHS (finally) on TechNet/MSDN

darkpaw

2[H]4U
I didn't see anything posted on here, and didn't know about it myself until I read an article on WHS power pack 2, but WHS is available on TechNet/MSDN as of 3/16/09.

I've been waiting for them to add that for a long time, just thought I'd let you all know as well in case you missed it too.

this is in data storage systems however probably should be here also annoyingly last time i checked PP2 is not streamlined

Wow, holy crap...I didn't notice that. Now I can sell my legit copy, because if I decide to use it, I can get it from my techNet sub.

I have the MSDN academic account from my school but i don't seen windows home server on the list?

I hate you all with msdn/technet subscriptions :(, out of interest why/how do you have them? workplace?

I hate you all with msdn/technet subscriptions :(, out of interest why/how do you have them? workplace?
I have mine because of the work place. I can test out software, for example, SharePoint Server 2007, to see if it justifies the cost for us over the free WSS 3.0.

If you feel left out, you can always make me an offer for my unused copy of WHS. ;)

I pay for it myself just to keep up-to-date on the newer MS software I don't deal with day-to-day at work. Its well worth a few hundred dollars a year to play around with everything and learn new skills.

But what i have always loved/been jealous of, is that you can just download an operating system or office etc, whenever you need it, an up to date one, for example, i hate when i install vista i have to do all the updating etc...

also, out of interest what is windows home server? like in what scenarios would a home need a server? and why would it be used over a regular OS, I know linux is used in many scenarios becaus eit has light system resources and alot of server stuff is linux based, but why a specific server for the home?

sorry if im noob, just interested :D

You don't need TechNet to get a Vista disc with SP1 incorporated. You can order one from Microsoft for $10, assuming you don't have an OEM license. If you do, I believe you can make your own slipstreamed disc.

Awesome news, I'm going to go login and check it out. I was going to buy this in a month or so :)

also, out of interest what is windows home server? like in what scenarios would a home need a server? and why would it be used over a regular OS, I know linux is used in many scenarios becaus eit has light system resources and alot of server stuff is linux based, but why a specific server for the home?

sorry if im noob, just interested :D

You can do just about everything that WHS can with a Linux server, however the WHS makes it extremely easy (like newb easy). Also, the client backup system in WHS has many features of high end commercial programs and lets you take backup of any of your Windows systems. Its also a great media server with a lot of plugins specifically designed for that.

I'm not a WHS expert by any means since I haven't used it since beta, there are a lot of those on these boards. From what I've used though, it is really the easiest setup for doing a home server without using a domain based solution like SBS.

ofcourse i end my msdn for work to save money last month then this happens. Sucks for me.

FINALLY!!!

I'm heading there right now to grab my copy. Just need to pick up one or two of those WD 640GB drives for a nice and silent setup. Anyone know where I can find a 32GB SSD for cheap to use as a boot disk, or is that a bad idea?

You don't need a fast boot drive for WHS. It shouldn't be rebooting all that often. If you're looking for quiet I guess maybe, but seems like overkill to me.

You don't need a fast boot drive for WHS. It shouldn't be rebooting all that often. If you're looking for quiet I guess maybe, but seems like overkill to me.
It's all about the silence. I guess the two 640GB drives should be fine though. I can partition one drive to about 50GB for the system partition and leave the rest for a storage partition.

I played with WHS during the beta period. There were some bugs but for the most part it worked well. I need to see if the connector software for the client machines supports Windows 7 properly.

I've got an old P4 laptop I'll be installing it on. I need to see about getting a PCMCIA USB 2.0 adapter though, pretty sure it doesn't support USB 2 nateively.

Maybe a cheap 2.5" drive would work for your boot drive? Low power and low noise without the SSD price tag.

You don't need TechNet to get a Vista disc with SP1 incorporated. You can order one from Microsoft for $10, assuming you don't have an OEM license. If you do, I believe you can make your own slipstreamed disc.

How exactly can you do this. As far as I can tell you can only order an SP1 DVD which just contains the stand-alone SP1 installer.

Maybe a cheap 2.5" drive would work for your boot drive? Low power and low noise without the SSD price tag.
I like your thinking. I totally forgot that I have a 40GB 2.5 disk sitting in toolbox that I don't use. I swapped it out of my PS3 for a 250GB drive.

It's all about the silence. I guess the two 640GB drives should be fine though. I can partition one drive to about 50GB for the system partition and leave the rest for a storage partition.

I played with WHS during the beta period. There were some bugs but for the most part it worked well. I need to see if the connector software for the client machines supports Windows 7 properly.

I don't know about about win7 support, but whs requires that the hd you install it on be at least around 70gb, it auto partitions it and gives 20gb to the os, the rest gets added to the pool.

You're right. I forgot about that. Not a problem as I'm ordering two Samsung 1TB drives for it.

I don't see it on the MSDNAA? i guess its not up yet?

MSDNAA downloads are determined by the administrator for your school's academic alliance subscription, and what microsoft offers in general to MSDNAA members

Back