WHS complains about disk space?

JonTa

Weaksauce
Today my WHS has started to complain about not having enough disk space, altho it have 1,76TB free of space, spreaded around 15 disks. I know that after PP1 there is no lading zone on partition D, but either its half free with over 400GB left on it.

That happens when trying to copy large files (30GB+) over gbit network into shared folders.
Why is that?

since that is spread over so many disk I am guessing that the disk are not very big.

This could happen because you dont have 30gb+ free on a single drive.

Mine complained this morning about a 30GB back-up that I put on there yesterday.

The actual complaint was that it didn't have enough disk space to duplicate the file on 2 different HDs.

I added another 500GB drive and even though it's only used 5% of that drive, it's happy.

Today my WHS has started to complain about not having enough disk space, altho it have 1,76TB free of space, spreaded around 15 disks. I know that after PP1 there is no lading zone on partition D, but either its half free with over 400GB left on it.

That happens when trying to copy large files (30GB+) over gbit network into shared folders.
Why is that?

Install the disk management add-in and then post of picture of the console so we can see what is going on.

No, only one of few of them, have less than 30GB of space, other have more + 2 of 500GB are empty. My thoughts are that is trying zo copy the file to one of the disk that actually doesnt have the space need it, but its strange indeed.. Atm im copying data off (~100GB) and will copying it back on - i read this on some forum that should work, otherwise will post screens of Disk Manger (already installed)

hmm, after copying stuff l still get not enough disc space error.. here is the screen from disk manger, ignore the frame - not updated..

whs1ta8.jpg

All the time ist copying to the highlighted drive, and when its full it starts complaining.. imo it should just take another drive with space and copying files to it.. anyone knows?

it just happened overnight, i didnt touch anything on the server, no installation, nothing

Run windows update and make sure you have power pack 1 installed

Run windows update and make sure you have power pack 1 installed

ay, my whs come with pp1 on the install disk.. all updates ar up to date.. damn, was working perfectly for one moth, till this.. if i dont solve it, i might make re-install

@adidas

still have 5 drives sitting in the drive cage not powered up and the case can take 36 drives

Your drive usage seems really scattered. I'm assuming WHS wants to put the data on a single disk somewhere and there isn't enough space, but this could be due to your client OS, not WHS.

What OS are you using and secondly, do you have a problem if you selected say 200gb's?

I do'nt see how WHS would care what client OS he's running.

I can't offer any help but I can offer my frustration that after PP1 WHS stops distributing the data evenly across drives. Just added a 1TB disk and it sits nearly empty while my other drives peak at %97. \

Junta's system disk clearly has more than enough space for the data to land, and it usually clears that space off after a while anyway, right?

Your drive usage seems really scattered. I'm assuming WHS wants to put the data on a single disk somewhere and there isn't enough space, but this could be due to your client OS, not WHS.

What OS are you using and secondly, do you have a problem if you selected say 200gb's?

yea, the funny thing was that when the file, which was 38GB (blu-ray remux) wouldn't want to copy over (alone), the two other files, both ~30GB, did start to copy, and then simultaneously start copying the 38GB, everything went through.

I would assume, that when copying that single file, something 'bothered' whs where to located it, while copying more files at once did work.

Btw, I'm using xp sp3 (updated). I remember reading somewhere, that vista might have some problems, and some work/patch is needed it to work properly.

I also think, that it needs to be done something regarding storage balancing. Would love to see to have control of were to put some data, and manual balancing - user controllable.

This seems to be a problem post PP1 that a few people on wegotserved have run into. One add-in developer has written a script that will for HD balancing so that it will try to make each drive have about 15% free space. The link is dead right now since he is changing servers but he has posted the source code in the thread as well. http://forum.wegotserved.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2715&st=40

ay, already tried that bat file, but its not the neatest solution. I leave it running for couple of hours, then it quite and i had to manually delete 'junk' data from c:/fs/drive

Would much more prefer as add-in where u could set trashold for drives (ex; a slider with percentages, like 15%, 20%, 30%) + some additional settings for distributing files to have control where to put data in pool. Im much more confident to have realy important data sitting on one of the server grade drive, than on my 3 years old consumer 400GB drive.

Back