WHS 2011: Cannot install Connector on Win7 x64 machine! Please help!

beelzibub

Limp Gawd
I'm really hoping someone can help me with this damn WHS software...I've been trying everything I can possibly find online and still I cannot install the Connector software on my main computer. I can access the server's shared folders just fine, but when I go to install the Connector software it error's and says:

The installation is cancelled
The Windows Home Server 2011 Connector has encountered an unexpected error. Click Close to undo most of the changes that are made to this computer.

I've searched high and low on the web and no solution seems to work. Can anyone give me any suggestions? I really wanted to give WHS a try because it's supposed to be the easiest to use versus Ubuntu or similar, but I'm ready to punch a baby because of the nightmare I've had so far!!!

Well, I don't use the newer version of WHS, but perhaps some of the same methods and troubleshooting work? ... Try these.

I couldn't get the connector cd to work on my setup either but using this method has been flawless for me...
"From your Windows 7 machine, open Internet Explorer and browser to http://server:55000 (where server is the name of your WHS)."
This gets the connector software directly from your server and seems to work much better then using the CD to try to connect.

Article found here:
http://www.homeserverhacks.com/2009/01/running-windows-home-server-connector.html

Here's a couple trouble shoot articles I found as well to be helpful...
http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/is/whspowerpack1beta/thread/da41725a-7bbb-4b0e-884b-fe29ca9f3cc3

http://social.microsoft.com/forums/.../thread/8504a708-b0fa-430b-98bf-7edd0b77cb69/

I keep thinking of upgrading my older WHS to the 2011, but I believe in the saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and my machine has been running so smooth for several years now.

Good luck.

So far, no luck...some of the suggestions in the links I've already found and tried with no fix. I'm now going back through them to see if I missed anything. This is so damn frustrating!!! I've been building computers for years, but this is my first server build and setup. I assumed that choosing the MS software would make it simple and pain free! WRONG!! Thanks for the help guys....any further suggestions would be appreciated, but I'm ready to snap the WHS 2011 disc to pieces!

Sorry to hear you are still having issues. WHS a thing of beauty once setup, so stick with it. Perhaps your firewall software is causing the issues? Have you tried turning off your firewall? Doubt that's the issue, but just tossing it out there.

I turned off the firewall on my client machine and it didn't help...but I didn't think about turning it off on the server as well. I run the built in Windows firewall and virus/malware protection.

No go. I've tried absolutely everything and it still won't install. I even tried an older wired only router to rule out the router (D-Link DIR-655). I can access the servers shared folders and even gain remote access from my client machine, but Connector will not install! It still gets to the final install step and backs up @ 95% and gives the error.

Unless anyone has further ideas, I'm stuck with going to a Ubuntu or ??? system. Anyone have any specific recommendations or warnings? Amahi any good?

I'm stuck with going to a Ubuntu or ??? system. Anyone have any specific recommendations or warnings? Amahi any good?
I'm just curious, why chuck the whole program because the connector software doesn't work?

As far as I know, if you don't connect the client computer to the server with the Connector software you can't setup backups for that computer. If I'm wrong, let me know! My main purpose for the server is for automatic backups, file storage, media serving, and possibly a gaming host.

As far as I know, if you don't connect the client computer to the server with the Connector software you can't setup backups for that computer. If I'm wrong, let me know! My main purpose for the server is for automatic backups, file storage, media serving, and possibly a gaming host.
Log into the server, double click the WHS program on the desktop and do what you want to the server.

At least that's how it works on V1.

Edit....You may have a point IF the server doesn't recognize another machine has been connected......but mine always has.

Let's go back to basics:

Exactly what error messages are you getting?
What gets reported in the Event Logs?
What gets reported in the failed installation logfile?

Have you tried disabling your AV? Which AV are you using?

Are you trying to access a WHS server on a different IP subnet?

The error in ClientDeploy.log (I removed everything before it):

[4812] 120728.154122.1918: ClientSetup: Install package C:\Windows\Temp\Client Deployment Files\ClientCore.msi
[4812] 120728.154122.1918: ClientSetup: Running MSI: C:\Windows\Temp\Client Deployment Files\ClientCore.msi SOFTWARE_NAME="Windows Home Server 2011" ADMIN_USERNAME="Administrator" ADMIN_PASSWORD=******* PATCH="C:\Windows\Temp\Client Deployment Files\KB2630445-amd64.msp" REBOOT=ReallySuppress
[4812] 120728.154130.1790: ClientSetup: Running MSI threw an exception:Microsoft.Deployment.WindowsInstaller.InstallerException: Fatal error during installation.
at Microsoft.Deployment.WindowsInstaller.Installer.CheckInstallResult(UInt32 ret)
at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.ClientSetup.ClientDeploy.Helper.RunMsi(String msiPathOrProductCode, String logFilePath, Dictionary`2 msiProperties, Boolean install, ProgressChangedEventHandler progressHandler)
[4812] 120728.154130.1790: ClientSetup: RunMsi returned error: RetCode=1603
[4812] 120728.154130.1790: ClientSetup: Failed to install C:\Windows\Temp\Client Deployment Files\ClientCore.msi
[4812] 120728.154130.1790: ClientSetup: Exting InstallSoftwareTask.Run
[4812] 120728.154130.1790: ClientSetup: Task with Id=ClientDeploy.InstallSoftware has TaskStatus=Failed
[4812] 120728.154130.1790: ClientSetup: Task with Id=ClientDeploy.InstallSoftware has RebootStatus=NoReboot
[4812] 120728.154130.1790: ClientSetup: Exting ConnectorWizardForm.RunTasks
[1736] 120728.154131.2866: ClientSetup: Running Tasks for Wizard Page InstallationError
[1736] 120728.154131.2866: ClientSetup: Entering ConnectorWizardForm.RunTasks
[1736] 120728.154131.2866: ClientSetup: Running Task with Id=ClientDeploy.UninstallSoftware
[1736] 120728.154131.2866: ClientSetup: Entering UninstallSoftwareTask.Run
[1736] 120728.154131.2866: ClientSetup: Client MSI is not installed
[1736] 120728.154131.2866: ClientSetup: Exiting UninstallSoftwareTask.Run
[1736] 120728.154131.2866: ClientSetup: Task with Id=ClientDeploy.UninstallSoftware has TaskStatus=Success
[1736] 120728.154131.2866: ClientSetup: Task with Id=ClientDeploy.UninstallSoftware has RebootStatus=NoReboot
[1736] 120728.154131.2866: ClientSetup: Exting ConnectorWizardForm.RunTasks
[4172] 120728.154131.3178: ClientSetup: Back from the Client Deployment Wizard
[4172] 120728.154131.3334: ServerDiscovery:HostsFileUpdater: Removing hosts file entry: MUNGBOX
[4172] 120728.154131.3334: ClientSetup: Saving Wizard Data
[4172] 120728.154131.3334: ClientSetup: End of ClientDeploy: ErrorCode=1603

Where should I be looking for the errors in the Event Logs? I apologize, I'm new to using them!

By "failed installation logfile" are you referring to what I listed above from ClientDeploy.log?

I've tried disabling my AV on both the client and the server....it's just Microsoft Essentials.

Can you explain your question about accessing the WHS on a different IP subnet? Bare with me, I'm quite green when it comes to networking lingo. If you're referring to IP addresses, then my client is 192.168.0.198 and my server is 192.168.0.189.

For what it's worth, I had the same problem. Tried all the "solutions" on the internet and eventually did a wiped the OS drive and did a clean install. Worked perfectly after that. Probably not the answer you were hoping for but it worked in my situation. The only thing I did different this install was made it unattended with the cfg.ini file.

Wiped the server OS or client OS? I tried wiping the server OS and reinstalling several times already...some with an unattended install off a USB and other times off the install DVD. I don't want to go as far as wiping the client OS again....I had enough troubles a few weeks back when I did a motherboard & CPU upgrade. Ugh....I can't remember the last time things went smoothly with computers for me....it' exhausting!

Sorry, the Server OS, WHS 2011. Didn't touch the client OS's. Always did the USB install method.

[4812] 120728.154122.1918: ClientSetup: Running MSI: C:\Windows\Temp\Client Deployment Files\ClientCore.msi SOFTWARE_NAME="Windows Home Server 2011" ADMIN_USERNAME="Administrator" ADMIN_PASSWORD=******* PATCH="C:\Windows\Temp\Client Deployment Files\KB2630445-amd64.msp" REBOOT=ReallySuppress
[4812] 120728.154130.1790: ClientSetup: Running MSI threw an exception:Microsoft.Deployment.WindowsInstaller.InstallerException: Fatal error during installation.
at Microsoft.Deployment.WindowsInstaller.Installer.CheckInstallResult(UInt32 ret)
at Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.ClientSetup.ClientDeploy.Helper.RunMsi(String msiPathOrProductCode, String logFilePath, Dictionary`2 msiProperties, Boolean install, ProgressChangedEventHandler progressHandler)
[4812] 120728.154130.1790: ClientSetup: RunMsi returned error: RetCode=1603
[4812] 120728.154130.1790: ClientSetup: Failed to install C:\Windows\Temp\Client Deployment Files\ClientCore.msi
[4812] 120728.154130.1790: ClientSetup: Exe

That's the important bit.

Here's the MS KB page for error 1603.

Where should I be looking for the errors in the Event Logs? I apologize, I'm new to using them!

In the System, Application, and Security event logs in Event Viewer.

Can you explain your question about accessing the WHS on a different IP subnet? Bare with me, I'm quite green when it comes to networking lingo. If you're referring to IP addresses, then my client is 192.168.0.198 and my server is 192.168.0.189.

It was a known issue with WHS v1 that it didn't work across a router. Leastwise not without work. Basically, for ease of control, you might have the children's devices operating off their own router on a 192.168 subnet while your own devices might be on an upstream router on a 172.16 subnet.

I had terrible problems getting one of my Vista boxes to connect to my WHS v1 box. Eventually I had to do a clean install of the client.

Doesn't seem to be a solid fix, but others have fixed this
1 way -
1. I applied all the server updates including all the optional ones (yes ie9 as well and all the .net updates)
2. I did the same on the machine I was trying to install the connector on (all optional updates)
3. Deleted all the windows server directories including the ones in program data.
4. Deleted the PC from the WHS console (even when it fails it still adds it to the server so make sure its gone)
3. Rebooted the routers
4. I also used the extracted files from a PC that installed properly (it gets extracted to windows\temp)

My honest opinion is that I think it's something todo with a mismatch of .net framework versions/patch levels between the machines

2nd way - http://forums.connecteddigitalworld.com/topic/862-connector-installation-problems-update-rollup-1/

It was a known issue with WHS v1 that it didn't work across a router.
Weird....my WHS V1 has always been connected thru a router and it works just fine.

Some routers had to have the user set it up for internet access but others, like my DIR-655
will do it automatically.

Weird....my WHS V1 has always been connected thru a router and it works just fine.

Some routers had to have the user set it up for internet access but others, like my DIR-655
will do it automatically.

I wasn't precise enough. There were big issues making the WHS Connector client work through a router that did NAT with the client on one side of the NAT and the server on the other.

Thanks for all the help guys, I've tried everything besides re-installing Windows on the client and it still doesn't want to work. I don't want to go through the hassle of reinstalling Windows again as I just did it a few months back. I still have WHS installed on a hard drive, but I swapped that drive out and installed Ubuntu 12.04 Desktop on another drive I had laying around. I tried the Server version first, but missed a graphical interface! I'm a networking noob, so I didn't feel comfortable diving in to a new OS without a little bit of an intuitive interface. I really like it so far, especially since I was up and running and backing up my computer in a few hours of time! I probably have easily 40+ hours messing with WHS... :mad: Oh well, perhaps I'll try again someday if I stumble upon a solution or Microsoft mans up and fixes their broken software. For now I'm content with Ubuntu and look forward to learning it's ins and outs.

Oh well, perhaps I'll try again someday if I stumble upon a solution or Microsoft mans up and fixes their broken software.
MS has announced that WHS is dead.

I'm glad you got something working!

Good Luck!

Just throwing this out there, but did you make sure that Microsoft.NET 3.5.1 was enabled in the "Turn Windows Features on or off" options in the Control Panel?

dbp6o.png

Back