Who's the culprit here? Motherboard or CPU?

pugsley1218

Limp Gawd
I was using this motherboard, with an E6600 cpu for awhile:
(evga 680i TR version)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188019&Tpk=680i+evga+tr

Everything worked alright, and it was prime stable at 3.2ghz. Some weird things started happening though, random games would crash. Not ALL games, just certain games. WoW and BF2142 would run fine for hours, no crashes. But FEAR and Black and White 2 would crash in 5 minutes. Bioshock would crash in about a half hour, EVEN AT STOCK SPEEDS.

So I guessed the mobo was the culprit, and purchased the new version of the evga 680i, the T1 seen here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188012

I installed it, and I could not get it to POST whatsoever. I tried everything. Put it back in my old mobo though, and it POSTed fine.

So my question is, who is the culprit here? Is it my CPU, or did I get TWO bad mobos? I mean how likely is that? Also if it is the mobo, what motherboard do you reccomend I get instead? Kinda getting tried of EVGA's bullshit. Looking for something good for OCing.

2nd mobo was a dud prolly... did you put the extra fan on the NB to cool it some more ? CPU temps ? Using Stock cooler ? checked ram ? what FSB overclock ( 8x 400 ? )

2nd mobo was a dud prolly... did you put the extra fan on the NB to cool it some more ? CPU temps ? Using Stock cooler ? checked ram ? what FSB overclock ( 8x 400 ? )

Yes, I put the extra fan on the NB. Cpu temps were fine, and I was using a Tuniq Tower cooler. I don't think it's the ram, because I tried a piece of my friend's old DDR2 666mhz ram, and it still wouldn't POST. I can't remember the exact FSB overclock, but like I said, it still crashed on stock/

You wouldn't be the first to get two bad boards in a row where there 680i is concerned,the more problems I see cropping up with it,the less I like it.Unless you're set on having SLI,I'd go with a P35 board,or wait for the X38's to come out.

Okay, so I'll try not to use this as my personal bitch and whine forum, but I have seriously gotten so damn frustrated over all of this lately, I have just wanted to call it quits and go with prebuilt.

I drove for almost an hour to get to Fry's today, and bought an e6750 thinking it might have been the cpu. It posted in my old motherboard, and not the new one. Then i installed the heatsink, and tried it again, and it turns on, then right back off. WTF? I tried it in the new motherboard, same exact thing happens. (EVERYTHING WAS WORKING FINE AN HOUR AGO) I tried swapping around both the e6600 and 6750 in both motherboards. I have wasted so much money, time and effort trying to fix this, and I am getting really pissed off. I just RMA'd the T1 board to newegg, but who knows when that will ever get here, and knowing my luck, it will be another DOA board. I really HATE these eVGA boards.

OR maybe my PSU decided to break, and now THAT is the problem. I don't know. I have no other PSUs to test, so I guess I'll just have to wait until the new mobo comes. This is rediculous though. I just want to play Bioshock, is that much too ask? I have been fucking with this system for over a month now.

I'm surprised no else has asked this but what are the specs of your system. List everything like sound card, TV card, etc. Especially make sure to list what PSU you may have. Because I'm thinking it could be the PSU.

My other specs are as follows:

E6750
2 gigs of Crucial Ballistix 1066mhz ram
SLI'D eVGA 8800GTXs
850w Cooler Master Real Power Pro PSU

I drove for almost an hour to get to Fry's today, and bought an e6750 thinking it might have been the cpu. It posted in my old motherboard, and not the new one. Then i installed the heatsink, and tried it again, and it turns on, then right back off.

Are you mentioning here that you booted with the cpu with no heatsink on ? you gotta be kidding me...

Also you have 2 GTX 's have you tried posting with one installed ? It's weird becasue you claimed it ran some games fine some not which was the same I had with my dying 7900GT KO from EVGA, no issues in Q3 nor Cs source, though Q4 and 3d mark 2006 crashed in a matter of minutes ...

Are you mentioning here that you booted with the cpu with no heatsink on ? you gotta be kidding me...

Also you have 2 GTX 's have you tried posting with one installed ? It's weird becasue you claimed it ran some games fine some not which was the same I had with my dying 7900GT KO from EVGA, no issues in Q3 nor Cs source, though Q4 and 3d mark 2006 crashed in a matter of minutes ...

What I meant, was I didn't have the heatsink fully screwed on. It was still sitting on top of the CPU. Anyways, it turns out the problem the entire time was the power supply. Sorry for my whining in this topic.

Glad you found it man, one of the reasons I wanted to test with 1 gfx crd to see if the PSU wasn't loaded beyond its specs...

Happy fragging ;)

Back