Who's still using an SSD from 2009 or 2010?

robvas

Gawd
Everyone talks about having the Samsung 830 or Crucial M4, but are any of the people who bought an SSD back 2-3 years ago still running the same one?

SF-1200, Intel X-25, Indilinx, JMicron...?

I have an 80GB X-25 V1 that's still kicking, as well as a 64GB Kingston V100 (JMicron) - but they haven't been daily drivers.

I just wonder if the majority of the old drives have quit working by now or what. There are still quite a few of the early SSD's for sale and it'd be nice to get an idea of how long they could possibly last.

I have had my x25-m 2nd gen 80GB for about 2 years now. I use my computer lightly, checking email, internet, some gaming here and there daily. I have kept my pagefile on the same ssd this whole time. No issues so far. Running snappy.

edit: crystal disk info
Total Host Writes: 1.76 TB
Power on Count: 1203
Power on Hours: 10928 (455 days 8 hours)
Health Status: Good 100%

Last edited:
I am. My Intel 80GB G1 that is in my HTPC still works fine and has over 99% life in it. It's been on 24/7/365 for over 3 years now.

I have several MTrons and some early Indilinx drives that are still kicking, as well as 1G and 2G Intel drives.

2009 Crucial M225 64GB, my first SSD, died before its first anniversary, still have to RMA it.

2010 OCZ Vertex 2 240GB to replace it, used 24/7 without trouble. Cost me 400€ or about 600$ at the time.

I've been using an Intel G2 160 GB for my desktop daily without issue.

2010 Vertex 2 60 GB, still using it daily without issue in my laptop.

I have the Intel 80GB G1 in my main rig. I mostly game with it and day to day web browsing. I disabled the page file. I run the main game I am playing off the SSD.

3 Crucial 256GB C300 SSDs for at least 2 years.

They work just as good as the day I bought them.

For my desktop system I'm still using a 64Gb Supertalent Ultradrive ME I got in 2009. It's a based on original Indilinx Barefoot 1 chip, so basically same as the first gen OCZ Vertex.

With the recent plummet in SSD prices I did replace the Ultradrive ME in my laptop with a Crucial M4 cause I really needed more space.

Anandtech put it pretty succinctly when he once said you start wonder what's wrong with any other new computer cause it's lagging until you realize it doesn't have an SSD.

I'm running a 120GB first gen Indilinx OCZ Agility drive I bought as they were discontinuing them in the spring of 2010.

It's been my mid to heavy use daily driver for all this time, and my SSD drive life estimator tool suggests I have until late 2015 until the drive dies (though I am not sure I trust this figure).

The drive WAS acting up last month (having to do windows drive check on every boot, constantly finding lost files, etc.) but when I contacted OCZ support under my 3 year warranty, I was asked to first update the firmware (which I did) and all my problems disappeared.

So I'd say that at least mine has been a solid performer.

It was a fantastic deal back then for $319 - $30 MIR. These days? Not so much... :p

Been using a 64gb Samsung one in my laptop since mid 2008. Good as the day I bought it...thought it is SLC. Crazy to think that it was going for $900 when I got it.

Running a kingston V100 64GB -- for about 1 more hour.

Funny enough I just got my SanDisk extrem 240GB SSD in the mail today. Doing an acronis backup and going to migrate my stuff over.

Going to stick the V100 in my laptop with a 1TB laptop drive as secondary (took out the optical bay)

Running one of the original OCZ 30GB's in a netbook. It doesn't see daily use, but still running strong. Early 2009? Put it in a 1000HE when they first came out.

Both of my Intel X25-M G2 80GB drives are alive and kicking.

The first one has been on (almost) 24/7 duty since April 2009. It's been powered on for 17640 hours and has 3.68TB data written to it.
The other drive has been on 24/7 duty for the last 2-3 months. Before that it was used on a day-to-day basis in my laptop since December 2009. It has 9193 hours powered on and 1.18TB data written to it.

On top of that, both drives are showing 99% health according to CrystalDiskInfo.

Still using my 60GB OCZ agility 1 that I bought "on sale" for 165$ in my laptop. Must have been the end of 09.

Just had my second 90GB vertex 2 die in less than a 9 months total, and need to get another RMA.

Currently using 128GB M4 in my desktops and 830s on my server. Both are running fast with no issues.

I have an OCZ Agility 60gb and an OCZ Vertex 60gb that are in raid 0 still kicking away... (Both first gen, with firmware updates installed)

Desktop has a samsung 830 128gb, laptop has the samsung 830 256gb (bought for less than the 128gb 6mo later), sold the intel x25-m 120gb out of the laptop at the same time which was purchased for more than the 128gb samsung :p

Ordered Crucial M4 128GB in October 2011, not as long ago as you are looking for but just recently had issues with crashes due to the SSD seemingly freezing up, operating system wasn't reconignized on reboot.

I half fixed this by updating to the latest firmware. It's plenty stable but restarts don't work, have to cool boot otherwise I get "Missing operating system" error because the hard drive doesn't show up properly anymore for some reason.

Luckily I don't restart much but I might have to RMA this m4.

I just replaced my x-25 80gig with a Sandisk Extreme 240gig. Sole reason for doing so was increased storage capacity. The Intel has been flawless since day one and I'm about to install it in another system.

Ordered Crucial M4 128GB in October 2011, not as long ago as you are looking for but just recently had issues with crashes due to the SSD seemingly freezing up, operating system wasn't reconignized on reboot.

I half fixed this by updating to the latest firmware. It's plenty stable but restarts don't work, have to cool boot otherwise I get "Missing operating system" error because the hard drive doesn't show up properly anymore for some reason.

Luckily I don't restart much but I might have to RMA this m4.

I just had this problem with my SF-1200 a couple days ago. I was browsing the web and firefox froze... then eventually my window manager froze... then I couldn't remote into the machine from another PC. Rebooted and the BIOS couldn't recognize the drive. Powered down, same thing. Tried like a thousand times.

So I cracked open the case and unplugged / replugged the SATA data cable and the thing booted up no problem. Then I noticed my DVD drive was spitting out errors in the kernel log. So I adjusted the cable on that too and all is well.

Now I'm crossing my fingers... but I'm glad I do daily backups. :)

I just replaced my x-25 80gig with a Sandisk Extreme 240gig. Sole reason for doing so was increased storage capacity. The Intel has been flawless since day one and I'm about to install it in another system.

I still have my X-25 80 gig when Windows 7 first came out. I am planning to upgrade my SSD when Windows 8 comes out primary for higher storage capacity too. I have about 8 to 9 gigs left and seems to be running pretty well after almost 3 years.

I was using a 30gb HDD a year ago. And then i migrated to My Server which only needed it for the OS. But since i turn my Server into my normal PC, it is just sitting around with my server OS. :)

My OCZ Agility 1 60GB SSD has been in nearly constant use since 2010 and is still going strong.
Too bad the Series 2 wasn't nearly as reliable or robust as the Series 1.

Another one with some older SSD's still going strong.
I have 2 of the Intel G2's in one server and 2 of the Vertex 2's in another. Both on 24/7 since I've had them.

im using a kingston 128gb v+100, jmicron controller if im not mistaking. It runs a good 10 hours a day(idle mostly, but still running). I run games off of it--I've had it for 2 years now, still going strong. M4 i've had for a little under a year.

Intel G2 160GB - 10860 hours (1yr 3mths) of use (powered on 1021 times) since about 2010 in my main desktop system. Written 6TB.

SSDLife puts its life at about another 8 years :)

I'm looking to get something bigger - maybe 240GB, and then 'retire' this drive to a laptop.

my 2 year old G.Skill Falcon 256GB SSD still runs flawless today...I've secure erased it a few times to re-install the OS as well

12/2008 - OCZSSD2-1S32G

32 gig OCZ SLC drive

used in main rig until 5/10, then moved to my HTPC.

Its been running 95% of the time I'd say. Zero issues

05/2010 OCZ Vertex 1 50gig used in my main rig. Still runs perfectly

Early 80gb intel ssd X-25

Work time 14782 Hours (1 year 8 months 10 days 22 hours)

Powered on 662 times (that's some good pc online for x time ratio hehe, also served as a os disk on my freebsd server then solaris and back on desktop again now)

97% health but works super fine so not sure, in the start i did all the recommended things turn stuff off, link logs to a mechanical disk due to ammount of writes but now haven't cared for a year or so and still going strong.

I have an X25-M G2 80GB that I used as the primary drive in my main box for a few years, and then about 6 months as an SRT cache drive. 6 months ago I replaced it with a Crucial M4 128, but the X25-M G2 is now in use as the main drive in my secondary computer.

Last I checked it a few months ago it was still at 99% life.

Just about a month ago I replaced 2x 64GB G.Skill (JMicron) in Raid 0 config running Win7, These things ran daily 24/7 for the most part. I can't tell much to any difference between those 2 drives and the Samsung 830 other than benchmarks. Recommended tweaks done to all drives.

The drives still work great. 1 drive is in the PC for games. The other was moved to my 160GB PS3 Slim temporarily then replaced by a 500GB Seagate Momentus XT (Hybrid drive). Just as of last night I put the SSD back in to test if NFS: Undercover got any better over the XT drive. Answer: Yes but the game still sucks!

I do love the fact the G.Skill has a USB mini cable hookup so I could turn them into expensive flash drives :-D

I love how crystal disk info shows "unknown" for just about everything on G.Skill drive. It does show 11822 Power on count though :eek:

Crystal Disk Info leaves a lot to be desired. Especially when it comes to detecting external drives.

I got a first gen Intel X25-M for my laptop in summer 2009. I used it daily for almost 3 years before retiring the machine last May. Never had any trouble with it.

I still have several Indilinx Barefoot drives in service, SF 1200 drives, a C300 in my laptop. I have had the most problems with the older barefoot drives, kinda seems like the flash is giving out on em after the time. Files on some of them just start to go corrupt.

My desktop is using a WD 256gb SSD. Its going to be transferred to my laptop. Not sure of age since I got it used. Still works fantastic (at least I assume so. Havent been home in a few months!)

I love how crystal disk info shows "unknown" for just about everything on G.Skill drive. It does show 11822 Power on count though

The reason is the manufacturer uses non standard SMART attributes. For CrystalDiskInfo to decode these it would need programmer time and a specification from the manufacturer that decodes the values of the non standard attributes.

Back