Who's still running i5-2500K?

Well I don't have the 2500k, but I've got a couple 2400 that I am still rocking.

I got 3 running in various systems at speeds between 4.1 and 4.4. Lovely chips. Also gotta give a shout out to the Asus P67 Pro boards that they're running on. After the SATA controller RMA, they've been flawless for years.

I believe these computer components are a lot more reliable than we think. Probably most of our old builds would have lasted just as long.

I'm still on my 2500k @ 4.5GHz. I still don't feel like upgrading is worth the price/performance ratio.

Still on the big brother. Flawless chips and it ain't going anywhere unless it shits out at 4k with Vega.

I'm running a 2500K in my main rig at stock speeds. The last time I tried to OC the chip it did not go well (it screwed up my OS and had to reload the entire system). Could someone be kind enough to link to a comprehensive, step-by-step procedure for safely OCing these chips?

Thanks ...

I'm running a 2500K in my main rig at stock speeds. The last time I tried to OC the chip it did not go well (it screwed up my OS and had to reload the entire system). Could someone be kind enough to link to a comprehensive, step-by-step procedure for safely OCing these chips?

Thanks ...
Some BIOS can do it for you, what motherboard do you have? Back in time it was as simple as changing 2-3 settings in BIOS. Rewind 5 years, I found the thread I was active about this.

My uncle brought over his rig for me to upgrade to win10. I offloaded my old setup years ago to him. It's running my old 2600K. Oh iirc, I passed my 2500K to my moms. Anyways after blowing clean his case, I boot her up and was surprised at what I had clocked it at, 4.8ghz on a DH14 lol. I used to bench on that 2600K at 5.3ghz and the 2500K at 5.2ghz under water. The OG Sandy Bridge chips are so stout.

I quicky did a search (did you?) and found many interesting results that should help you. Let me show you. :p

You are a very funny responder. Thanks, I needed a good laugh. On a more serious note ... I purchased this MB as part of a combo and the seller mentioned that he had saved some profiles within the UEFI. I tried one of the profiles and the whole system crashed.

I was hoping that someone here had some personal experience and advise to OCing using that specific interface.

I purchased this MB as part of a combo and the seller mentioned that he had saved some profiles within the UEFI. I tried one of the profiles and the whole system crashed.
Hard to know if any profile is ok so I would forget those saved profiles. The first result of the search showed me a video which was telling how to OC a 2600K with your motherboard. I haven't watched it but have a look, I guess all instructions are given.

Hard to know if any profile is ok so I would forget those saved profiles. The first result of the search showed me a video which was telling how to OC a 2600K with your motherboard. I haven't watched it but have a look, I guess all instructions are given.

I will try it out. Thank you ...

Running a 2600k. It finally gave up on me (well kind of). Ran for 5.5 years @ 1.488v 4.9ghz. Pretty fuckin good Id say for so much voltage (and on air too, D14) and never shutting the computer off. In the last month, I began having issues. Turns out the OC is no longer stable. Tried to lower it down to 4.2ghz and it didnt like that either. I now just run it at stock speeds without issues. Holding out for KL

Running a 2600k. It finally gave up on me (well kind of). Ran for 5.5 years @ 1.488v 4.9ghz. Pretty fuckin good Id say for so much voltage (and on air too, D14) and never shutting the computer off. In the last month, I began having issues. Turns out the OC is no longer stable. Tried to lower it down to 4.2ghz and it didnt like that either. I now just run it at stock speeds without issues. Holding out for KL

Holy cow man, that's pretty ballsy running 1.488v for 5 and a half years, ON AIR. In perspective you got a pretty damn long lifespan for that level of voltage, kudos. My uncle's rig is still going strong though I dropped it down to 4.7ghz from 4.8ghz and the voltage a lil bit. It should make it past 6 years and who knows how much more?

With that voltage on air IMHO your crazy haha. I run 4.4ghz on 1.325 because it was stable and I didn't really feel the need to spend hours tuning my OC for just another 200-400 mhz to see if it would be stable. Curious what were your temps under load?

With that voltage on air IMHO your crazy haha. I run 4.4ghz on 1.325 because it was stable and I didn't really feel the need to spend hours tuning my OC for just another 200-400 mhz to see if it would be stable. Curious what were your temps under load?
Would hit 80-82c after 30+ min of gaming. Typically would see about 76-78c though.

I am rocking an i3-530 and thinking of upgrading to a Haswell i3. Works fine for what i game accompanied by a gtx460.

I just retired my 2500k a few months ago from primary gaming to being my plex server. Can't see a need to change that system out again for years, that processor is a champ.

I'm still running a 2500k and I have no immediate plans to replace it. I'm going to be upgrading my video card, probably to an rx 480, in the next 3-6 months. But since I'm gaming at 1080 and nothing I have played to this point has been CPU bound at an unacceptable frame rate, I see no reason to upgrade. I will continue waiting until I either run into a CPU binding problem, or there's a compelling reason such a new tech that is much faster and/or better in some aspect. DDR4 and CPU speed gains have all been incremental and are not worth the expense in my view.

Have a crap ton of OCed 2500Ks in various boxes / spare gaming rigs (pretty much all OCed to 4.6GHz).
Don't think I'll ever retire those buggers, especially since they're all running on Z77 boards.

Last edited:
My son's spare gaming rig has a non-K 2500. Whenever he puts a new video card in his main system, the old one goes into the 2500 rig. He says it still works fine for 1080 gaming.

82461593.jpg

Still on a 2500k (@4.3GHz). I think it get unstable after 4.4 on stock voltage so I decided to keep it at 4.3 all these years. Never tried more voltage. I am thinking about upgrading to a 6600k or 6700k since I have a GTX1080 in the mail and I'm upgrading from a 970GTX. I'm still on the fence as the 1080 cost a pretty penny but I don't want to hold it back and I'm jumping to 4k resolution too but will a newer chip help at such high res where you're more GPU bound?

I've been there. It all depends, some chips will last forever others will decide they had enough and die... It's a sad day for sure :(

Sounds like your CPU is ready to call it quits. Definitely not a good sign and probably due to degradation over the years with all that voltage.

I had a Phenom II 965 back in the day and it died after 2 years and overclocking it to the max. It would hard lock and after swapping parts it was clear the CPU died. Got another one to replace but it was a sad day nonetheless. 2 GTX 470s in SLI also died after overclocking for 3 years. Those cards ran super hot and loud. Far Cry 3 is what put it over the edge. After that, I decided keep voltages down on my overclock regardless of the heat. The heat is a factor for sure but even with good temps, all that voltage can't be good for longevity.

On the bright side, my current AMD Rig (see sig) is still running strong after many years :) @ 1.5375 volts on air lol

Finally retired my 2500k today. I've never been sad to retire a processor like I do with the 2500k... Well... I do plan to build a second system as I gather more spare parts so maybe I will run it once again. Literally my longest lasting piece of PC hardware I've ever owned and it's number 1 in the hall of fame for me behind the ATI 9700Pro and 8800GT.

Finally retired my 2500k today. I've never been sad to retire a processor like I do with the 2500k... Well... I do plan to build a second system as I gather more spare parts so maybe I will run it once again. Literally my longest lasting piece of PC hardware I've ever owned and it's number 1 in the hall of fame for me behind the ATI 9700Pro and 8800GT.

I still keep my old rig running. All my PC games (400+) from the last 4 years are installed on it and don't feel like reinstalling on my new computer. Its perfect the way it is. I haven't played the majority of the games installed and still intend on gaming on it until I finish my backlog which will take at least a few more years.

sandy bridge i7- 2600k is still a beast after all these years. I still have my 2600k.

My next build is actually a 2011 dual e5-2670. will smoke the crap out of any skylake with thread optimized tasks and also have much more ram capacity.

I'm still running a 2500k.
I'm probably going to finally retire it when Cannonlake comes out.

Hey guys just stick to your 2500k's (Overclocked of course). I just tried some video editing/rendering and I don't really notice any seat of the pants difference on my new 6700k, lol. The 6700k doesn't overclock as good and also runs a lot hotter (when OC'd). I have major buyers remorse with the 6700k upgrade. The 1080 GTX video card on the other hand is legit though.... Love being able to play games at 4k with nearly the same performance as my 970 GTX did at 1080p! The new CPU...Meh... Should of just stuck to my 2500k....lol.

I still keep my old rig running. All my PC games (400+) from the last 4 years are installed on it and don't feel like reinstalling on my new computer. Its perfect the way it is. I haven't played the majority of the games installed and still intend on gaming on it until I finish my backlog which will take at least a few more years.

^Smart decision!

Still running 2500k @ 3.8.

I keep finding myself looking at new hardware but I just can't pull the trigger yet!

I hope to get the same life with my 6700k @ 4600mhz as you guys had with your cpus. You are going to have to upgrade sooner or later. But hold onto while you can. It is going to get to the point though where you can't deny the upgrade. At least when you do upgrade you'll be safe from that point on, not from way back when.

I hope to get the same life with my 6700k @ 4600mhz as you guys had with your cpus. You are going to have to upgrade sooner or later. But hold onto while you can. It is going to get to the point though where you can't deny the upgrade. At least when you do upgrade you'll be safe from that point on, not from way back when.

I must of gotten the worst 6700k on the planet! It won't even do 4.4GHz stable under 1.4v! :( It needs to ramp the voltage so much to overclock just a little I don't even bother to OC it...not worth the heat increase. Now I wonder if my 2500k @4.3GHz is just as fast as a stock 6700k in games and I totally wasted my money? :(

That sucks. My chip does [email protected] vcore. Haven't tried higher, don't want anything higher. Ratio is at 43. I think I got a good chip from Microcenter. I don't think you wasted your money. It's still a kickass chip with newer architecture. You just got a lower clocking sample. No biggie. Enjoy the hell out of it. To be honest? What real world gains am I going to see over yours? 300mhz? In the grand scheme of things I don't think it does dick other than a few points on a benchmark.

I just retired my 2500k a few months ago from primary gaming to being my plex server. Can't see a need to change that system out again for years, that processor is a champ.

Hows that working as your server? Have any issues with 2-3 1080p sterams? Ive been looking at grabbing at 2600/2700k for cheap and building a plex server with the 2500k

Back