Who's still running i5-2500K?

Rhialto

Gawd
What will be you next CPU? Is it out yet and you're close to buy or you are waiting for the next generation?

For my current needs my i5-2500K still get the job done but I plan on updating my setup in the next year so it could be 3 months or 9 months from now and was curious about people in the same boat what their plan is.

Still running an I5-2500K on one of my systems and an I7-2600K on my primary. It's just hard justifying an upgrade yet when you factor in the overclock speeds. I'm kind of holding off to see what Zen offers unless I start seeing system problems due to age of the hardware. I think for an upgrade to be worthwhile though that it would have to add additional cores while at the same time being faster (before overclock) at single threaded tasks than the current system (overclocked).

Still running an I5-2500K on one of my systems and an I7-2600K on my primary. It's just hard justifying an upgrade yet when you factor in the overclock speeds. I'm kind of holding off to see what Zen offers unless I start seeing system problems due to age of the hardware. I think for an upgrade to be worthwhile though that it would have to add additional cores while at the same time being faster (before overclock) at single threaded tasks than the current system (overclocked).

I agree. I am still on my 5.0GHz 2600K and have not seen any reason to upgrade other than chipset features.

I was ready to pull the pin on the new decacore broadwell-e when it dropped but then I saw what Intel did with the pricing...

Not a 2500k, but still on a 3570k overclocked to 4.4 GHz. Not really seeing any CPU-bound issues, aside from the horribly unoptimized single core mess that is ArmA 3.

I briefly considered a Skylake upgrade, but there aren't much if any speed and platform benefits to justify the cost. Maybe Kaby Lake or Cannonlake will offer a decent enough IPC and performance boost. Or maybe DX12 implementations will finally properly multithread games and make the upgrade worthwhile.

I am but I want to upgrade. For just playing a game it mostly works out, but if I try to watch any form of video on my second screen (twitch/netflix/etc) I notice a pretty decent amount of choppiness.

I'm still on a 2600K, but as others have said, I don't really see any reason to upgrade.

I'm still on a 4.6ghz 2600k and it still gets the job done well so I have no reason to upgrade. I just upgraded my memory from 1600mhz to 2133mhz so I should be good for a while. :)

I still got my 2500k at stock speed I did add a GTX970 awhile back for a nice upgrade and SSD drives which really sparked the old girl up.
There is really nothing I cant run at settings that don't look good to me so while I have been starting to price out upgrading just not sure if I will.
Right now my upgrade would be a nice z170 board with 16GB DDR4 ram and maybe a I-7 6700k and just move my drives and video card over.
Still a big if just cant really find a have to reason to upgrade maybe if I am still around in a year I am terminally ill with a slow moving cancer so I don't plan far ahead lol.

I'd intended to purchase a 2500k right around the time they came out, but there was some sort of fuck-up with the motherboards right after it came out it got pulled for a bit. I can't remember specifics. I did need to build at that time though, so I went with a x64 965 BE from AMD instead. I'm still running it. I plan to upgrade in 2016 or possibly early 2017.

I have a couple 2500s systems at home (not my primary) and they work great!

I updated recently & gave my old 2500k system to my dad. He play's WoW on it. Still clocked at 4.7ghz after all these years.

Hearts of Iron 4 brought my 2500k @4.5 to its knees. Bought a guaranteed 4.7 6700k that should be at least 20 percent faster in this game (still wont use more than 4 threads). Hoping with my ram upgrade i can get to the 25-30 percent increase range.

Still rocking a 2700k on my rig and 3570k's for the wife and kid. Haven't really seen a need yet to upgrade. I don't play a great variety of games but my son does and he hasn't had any cpu bound issues yet. I was eyeballing the 6700k with 3600-4000 ram, but it just doesn't seem worth it yet. I haven't held onto a cpu this long before, it feels weird. I'm hoping that whatever comes later this year or next year will be a clear case winner for an upgrade but I'm not holding my breath. I may wind up with this thing for a couple more years still.

Yep, can't believe I'm sat here almost 5 years later with it. Started off paired with a 560Ti, now a 670. Looking to upgrade one more time to a 480 or 1060 before I do a full rebuild in a year or two.

Was on a 2500K 4.8 until this weekend. Purchased a 6700k and an Asus Sabertooth board. Parts on the way so don't have any comparison atm.

I have a I5-2500k in my g/f's computer still. I see no reason to upgrade it for the stuff she does with it.

Still a big if just cant really find a have to reason to upgrade maybe if I am still around in a year I am terminally ill with a slow moving cancer so I don't plan far ahead lol.
Not sure I understand the phrase, you have cancer or it's if you have cancer that it could be a reason to upgrade?

If I had cancer with a death sentence coming in a year or less I think I would just please myself and go for it, my daughters will then get to use that powerful monster for at least 5 years. Who knew they would keep their i5-2500K/i7-2600K for that long? And it's still up to date!

Was on a 2500K 4.8 until this weekend. Purchased a 6700k and an Asus Sabertooth board. Parts on the way so don't have any comparison atm.
Was 4.8 on air? I was not able to push mine that high but I wasn't looking for that much in the first place. I much prefer running 300-400MHz below the fatal speed than only 100MHz below.

Let us know how perform your new build!

Last edited:
What 4.8 on air? I was not able to push mine that high but I wasn't looking for that much in the first place. I much prefer running 300-400MHz below the fatal speed than only 100MHz below.

Let us know how perform your new build!

unless you were using crappy air cooler I don't see reason to not reach 4.8ghz.. limit for those chips used to be 5.0 up to 5.2ghz.. it was the last intel chip in reach easily and rock solid >5ghz on air. water wasn't never a fully necessity to reach those speeds, just good air coolers.

to keep on topic for anyone who say i5 2500K it's more than enough well, that's actually wrong to maintain 60FPS locked in modern games.. so if anyone is still in the fence. I'll drop here a good video. probably the best video for this kind of comparisons..

so yeah, from sandy bridge up to skylake there's a good enough jump to warrant an upgrade, specially those of us who like 60fps to stay as minimums.

unless you were using crappy air cooler I don't see reason to not reach 4.8ghz..
Sorry you should have read "Was 4.8 on air?" and not "What" where I looked surprised because I know some reached 5GHz.

I see you updated your signature in advance! ;)

I'm on a 2300 i5. It's scheduled to be my dedicated HTPC machine as I upgrade to a 6600K.

Mainly its my GPU I'm more excited to replace than anything else (and monitor).

Sorry you should have read "Was 4.8 on air?" and not "What" where I looked surprised because I know some reached 5GHz.

yea, see my quote it say what instead of was..

what? I haven't changed my sig since acquired the 6700k couple of months ago..

yea, see my quote it say what instead of was..

what? I haven't changed my sig since acquired the 6700k couple of months ago..

Argh! Ok forget it, you replied to a post addressed to Malkizadek and I was mixed up, thinking I was replying to him. You see he's going for a 6700K and a Sabertooth too.

im still on my 3930k rig i was going to jump to broadwell e but when i saw the price and how bad they clock vs my 3930k at 4.9 i don't even know if it would be any faster, and i hate to go form 6 cores to 4 as i do a good bit of multi tasking

Still running a 2500K on a P8P67 Pro Rev 3.1. Just ordered a 1070 to perk things up a little but otherwise think I am good for a while.

Still using a 2600k @ stock :p

have been meaning to OC for like 5 or 6 years ( got it like a month or 2 after it was released), but really have no need for it can run Witcher 3 with mostly Ultra Settings like a champ works great with my 970gtx

great chip

Really should OC it though, one day lol

Still running 2500K @ 4.0
Intel has completely ignored gamers since sandy bridge.... so waiting to see what happens with zen release.

I predict that once Zen releases Intel will finally make 6/8 core cpu's the new mainstream product/pricing. Honestly I am quite shocked at the lack of cpu performance gains since sandy bridge, with only a focus on integraded gpu and power savings. How much die space does the integrated gpu take? they should be giving us 6 and 8 cores with no integrated gpu at current I5 4 core price

Still running my i5 2500, at 4.4 GHZ. Running it with a 970 GTX

I don't see any reason yet to upgrade.

Still have an e3-1230 (Xeon equiv of an i7-2600). Still clicking along fine

I am but I want to upgrade. For just playing a game it mostly works out, but if I try to watch any form of video on my second screen (twitch/netflix/etc) I notice a pretty decent amount of choppiness.

Something else is going on with your system then - I have zero issues with second screen video on my machine.

I know many of you guys may be under the impression that you need to upgrade. In my opinion, unless you really are CPU limited with the i5-2500 there is absolutely no reason to upgrade.

The video card makes the biggest difference.

I know it may seem crazy when we always had to upgrade like every couple of years, but this isn't the case anymore. Cell phones are now the same deal, there is absolutely no reason to upgrade my Note-3. Before this upgrading like every year made a huge difference.

I've went through Win 7, Win 8.1, and now on 10
Video card 7950 - 290X - now 1070 GTX
gone through 2 monitors, 2 keyboards, and 2 mice
Added a SSD, new optical drive, changed out PSU

Yep. Still here. Z68 and 2500K going on year 5.

Z270 and Kaby Lake is when I'm pulling the trigger.

I've went through Win 7, Win 8.1, and now on 10
Video card 7950 - 290X - now 1070 GTX
gone through 2 monitors, 2 keyboards, and 2 mice
Added a SSD, new optical drive, changed out PSU

Yep. Still here. Z68 and 2500K going on year 5.

Z270 and Kaby Lake is when I'm pulling the trigger.

Yup, same here, had a 580 GTX and now a 970 GTX

I did add a new 500GB Samsung SSD, as my original 120GB IBM wasn't cutting it anymore.

it is just unlike anything before to be able to keep a CPU this long. I still have my original motherboard also.

Most people who upgrade since the 2500 probably didn't need to and wasted their money.

All the games I play run super fast at 1440. 4K isn't worth the upgrade yet anyway.

Still using a 2600k @ stock :p

have been meaning to OC for like 5 or 6 years ( got it like a month or 2 after it was released), but really have no need for it can run Witcher 3 with mostly Ultra Settings like a champ works great with my 970gtx

great chip

Really should OC it though, one day lol

Please OC that shit out of that cpu

I actually didn't over clock my 2500 for many years, then I just turned that sucker up to 4.4 GHZ, turned up the voltage a little to make sure it is perfectly stable, and never looked back and never had any issues. It was nice not worrying about turning up the voltage and OC it for such an old CPU.

But yes I agree OC the shit out of it and turn up the voltage a little also to get at least 4.4 GHZ.

haha I know do kinda feel bad I never did OC it, Will do it soon. :)

Still hard to belive a chip this old is still so strong, it used to be Had to upgrade every 2 years or so for me at least

I got 3 running in various systems at speeds between 4.1 and 4.4. Lovely chips. Also gotta give a shout out to the Asus P67 Pro boards that they're running on. After the SATA controller RMA, they've been flawless for years.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Back