Who's staying with skt 775?

Status
Not open for further replies.
An SSD is about the only relevant upgrade I see in my or my partner's systems in the near future. She doesn't play any really heavy games that require the high end and I'm still plenty happy with my sig rig. This is the longest I've had a single system, and I need something similar in a performance jump as I got going from a p4 3.0 to my current before I break out the wallet again.

I'm staying put til Sandy Bridge comes around. Gonna try and upgrade to a q9550 and add 2gb more of ram. The x6's look damn good but the cost/benefit level isn't where it should be to warrant an upgrade, for me.

Count me in. I've had a Q9550 running at 3.4GHz for nearly two years now and there's not been anything that makes me wish I had a faster system. About the only thing I'd consider is an SSD along with a 2TB drive to replace my two WD 640GB drives, and that's just because I want to, not because I feel a need to.

maybe i should try to sell my asus p5w dh deluxe. just don't know if i still have all the accys that came with it. Still use the box to hold my old pc cables & stuff biggest god dam mobo i ever saw.

Now that I have this Q9550 E0 @ 3.6 I am very happy with the performance I'm getting from it. I will wait and see what Sandy Bridge has to offer but I'm going to stick with my upgrade rules that I laid out when I had my X2 4400 and 8800GTX 640 meg. When hardware exists to double both my CPU/GPU benchmark/gaming then I will upgrade. I'm going to get another 4 gig of this OCZ ram soon since it's about 95.00 now at Micro near me in Cleveland. I want to get a 24" 1920x1080 monitor as well. I'm not going for i7 nor 5850/5970/470/480 I just don't see any benefit for me.

Why buy $150 worth of SSDs and suffer with that awful GPU?!?! :p

hehee i know the gpu blows.. i just havent got the dough for a new one quite yet. That deal on the SSDs was a total steal.. had to go with the ssds... and hope for better gpu deals down the road. my main concerns with my computer at the moment is an upgrade for my cpu cooler (stock) and gpu

I'm staying put til Sandy Bridge comes around. Gonna try and upgrade to a q9550 and add 2gb more of ram. The x6's look damn good but the cost/benefit level isn't where it should be to warrant an upgrade, for me.

Actually, you're better off staying with your current E6420 until you get an entirely new system. This is because at current prices (at Newegg and most other resellers) the Q9550 processor alone now costs almost as much money as an x6 plus motherboard combo. And at that price the Q9550 alone is way too expensive for a processor designed for a now dead-end socket.

I have an e2180 and want to upgrade to something better but will probably stay with 775.

any suggestions on my Q8200? not sure what to do with it.. i mean.. it's 2.33 GHz.. and doesnt overclock well.. would it be in my best interest to.. trade it for something better or..part it out and get soemthing with some umpf :D

any suggestions on my Q8200? not sure what to do with it.. i mean.. it's 2.33 GHz.. and doesnt overclock well.. would it be in my best interest to.. trade it for something better or..part it out and get soemthing with some umpf :D

Unfortunately, at this point there is absolutely nothing in Socket 775 that's cost effective (except for maybe a Q9550 for $189 at MicroCenter); all of the currently available Socket 775 CPUs are either too expensive or too slow compared to the competition.

As for your current Q8200 not overclocking well, that is to be expected given its low multiplier of 7. With that maximum multiplier locked at 7, you'll almost certainly hit the limits of your motherboard's memory controller well before you hit the limits of your CPU's core.

Last edited:
Actually, you're better off staying with your current E6420 until you get an entirely new system. This is because at current prices (at Newegg and most other resellers) the Q9550 processor alone now costs almost as much money as an x6 plus motherboard combo. And at that price the Q9550 alone is way too expensive for a processor designed for a now dead-end socket.

Actually to top it off I live in Canada where the average q9550 is ~$300 after taxes. I once saw a q9550 on ebay for $200 plus shipping but didn't have the money at the time, while 1055's are ~$200 retail which agrees with your point.

The benefits of upgrading aren't as pronounced for my uses of the computer which is generally using the internet and gaming and BOINCING, evne though my CPU pulls in lame numbers. I can still play all games at 1680x1050 on the highest settings, 16xaf and some aa.

And thus I will stick to my e6420 until something compels me enough to want to upgrade my entire system.

Til then I need to add another 2GB of RAM. 2GB just doesn't quite cut it nowadays.

Actually to top it off I live in Canada where the average q9550 is ~$300 after taxes. I once saw a q9550 on ebay for $200 plus shipping but didn't have the money at the time, while 1055's are ~$200 retail which agrees with your point.

The benefits of upgrading aren't as pronounced for my uses of the computer which is generally using the internet and gaming and BOINCING, evne though my CPU pulls in lame numbers. I can still play all games at 1680x1050 on the highest settings, 16xaf and some aa.

And thus I will stick to my e6420 until something compels me enough to want to upgrade my entire system.

Til then I need to add another 2GB of RAM. 2GB just doesn't quite cut it nowadays.

That makes sense. Right now DDR2 memory is slightly less expensive per GB than DDR3 memory - if only because there is a glut of DDR2 modules still on the market.

I am yet another person who will stick with their socket 775 system. I bought this Q6600 from a friend only 6 months ago or so, for $75. Before that, I had an E2180. I've got the Q6600 @ 3.4GHz right now, and perhaps if I can get a different fan configuration, I might be able to get a stable 3.5GHz. A faster GPU is the only meaningful upgrade I can make at this point without getting a whole new system. I suppose I could do a SSD for Windows, but I don't want to put too much more money into this computer.

I am going to try and stick with my current mobo and CPU till sandy bridge in Q3 2011. Maybe AMD will have something worthwhile to offer then as well.

Will probably stick with my system until Sandy Bridge and Bulldozer come around. Will probably upgrade to some sort of cheap quad like a Q9400 or Q8400 between now and then (no, I don't live near a Microcenter).

q9550 until the next socket comes out... i7 is a big upgrade but I just bought this thing :X

4 pages and still no PENTIUM 4/D socket 775 users ;)

Just retired my P4, Cedar Mill 651 yesterday.
:)

I made the move to socket 775 in February 2006, when I was a hardcore enthusiast and purchased an original Intel Bad Axe 975XBX. Unfortunately, I didn't realize Intel screwed the pooch with this board as its initial release didn't even have Conroe/C2 support.

Reused my DDR2 and got myself a Phenom II 555BE and an Asus M4A785-M

Could have got myself another 775 board and Intel CPU to reuse my DDR2.. as I don't upgrade that often.

ive been wanting to ditch my socket 775 for a few months now.......but cant. no funds to get anything new at the moment. these amd processors are looking pretty attractive at the moment to.

you should be able to get 2.8 with ease,,,,depending on your MB. my brother runs his at 3.1 but can't get any higher while staying below 1.45 volts.

I wish my Q6600 would do more than 3.6GHz but it's fine for now. SSD is the only upgrade I really need.

I'm sticking with 775 as I just found a board that is listed as having vt-d working under Xen. I picked it up as "returned" for $55 (DQ45CB). Can't beat that!

Managed to get a new Q8300 for $150 Cad. before tax. If you are familiar with our hardware prices up here, you know that's a steal :p

Chip went to 3ghz with no extra voltage and i'm more than pleased with the current performance (especially in bad company 2). Knowing I have this much OC headroom, i'm glad I made the purchase.

This CPU is stickin' around a while :cool:

Still using an S775 rig here. Specs are listed in my sig below. :cool:

No plans to go i7 or i5 as of the moment. Just can't jsutify buying one these babies.

I'm considering though going for an Athlon x4 with DDR3 by the end of this year. :D

Im too happy with my 9550 to upgrade. It runs flawlessly, even at stock speeds.

Im currently building an i3 for a friend, ill use that to see if i need to upgrade or not.

Was recently at Fry's and I was told that Intel is getting rid of S775. :(

Great socket.

i want to upgrade to an i7930, 6gb ddr3, 5870 and an SSD but the ball and chain wont let me :( so im stuck with 775 probably for a looooong time

i want to upgrade to an i7930, 6gb ddr3, 5870 and an SSD but the ball and chain wont let me :( so im stuck with 775 probably for a looooong time

That's ok, 775 is perfectly good in the kitchen

Well, I've betrayed the socket775 club. I was over at OCN and saw GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R for $125 shipped and I snagged it. I'll probably come out even selling my q9550 and stuff.

All I need now is an affordable i7 920 D0 and some ram.

While I currently own just about every mb ever made, socket 775 will forever remain in my arsenal. A truly versatile weapon still.

I'm still using my Q6600, however lately it is seeming to get harder and harder to not want to upgrade.
My P5k Vanilla MB is a tad long in the tooth. Not to mention I would like to have more capabilities, however for folding I am still chugging along the 775 line.

I know my old q9550 @ 4.25GHz blew away every i7 I had ever seen clock for clock in LinX

however my q9550 would not stand a chance in anything that uses more than 4 threads...

I have 2 and 7/8 socket 775 systems. HTPC, main rig, and the spare rig (spare rig is the 7/8 because it is complete except for cpu). Not planning on updating anytime soon. The HTPC was just built actually with 775 because cost was very low. As for main rig, i would only plan on updating the graphics card if anything for a couple years.

Standing pat for now with e8400@3870 (stock voltage). I've a microcenter nearby and might do the q9550 upgrade for perhaps a net $60 after selling the e8400. I don't encode, so there's not much impetus now.

My GPU is due for an upgrade, but it's tolerated everything I've thrown at it so far. Thank the console ports for that.

ok all you guys out there, this is my first ever post on any forum ever, and I really have to ask, given that at high res the graphic card(s) does the business, is it REALLY necessary to upgrade from socket 775? even if you're using somit like a E8400, like me? I'v also got 3 GTX280's, X-Fi titanium sound blaster, 60 gig SSD, 1200 watt truepower quatro etc etc. just out of curiosity.and hypothetically, if I could get a real cheap QX9650 what increase in frame rate do you think I'd see?..this post is probly in the wrong place but , what the hell...

Boy, talk about resurrecting a dead person back to life...I might as well chime in also. Although I have both S1366 and Sandy Bridge systems, I also have a few S775 and AM2+/AM3 systems. The only thing I don't have is any S1156 systems as it's no match for my S1366 systems.

To the poster above me there, someone posted about switching from a 2-core CPU to 4-core CPU, he really noticed the speed in FPS in the types of games he plays now. I forgot where that thread was, but he said it's worth upgrading to a 4-core CPU.

ok all you guys out there, this is my first ever post on any forum ever, and I really have to ask, given that at high res the graphic card(s) does the business, is it REALLY necessary to upgrade from socket 775? even if you're using somit like a E8400, like me? I'v also got 3 GTX280's, X-Fi titanium sound blaster, 60 gig SSD, 1200 watt truepower quatro etc etc. just out of curiosity.and hypothetically, if I could get a real cheap QX9650 what increase in frame rate do you think I'd see?..this post is probly in the wrong place but , what the hell...

Well, you slightly misinformed. 3-5 years ago games were almost always GPU bound, that is not the case today. So many games run better on quads than they do on dual core, so if you have an e8400 and want to play games like BC2, upcoming BF3 and even Black Ops, the extra two cores go a long way.

Well, you slightly misinformed. 3-5 years ago games were almost always GPU bound, that is not the case today. So many games run better on quads than they do on dual core, so if you have an e8400 and want to play games like BC2, upcoming BF3 and even Black Ops, the extra two cores go a long way.

What games are these? You can still count the amount of games that rely heavily on CPU on a single hand.

Its been shown OVER and OVER that BC2 gets 0 benefit from anything more than 2 cores. Black ops can run at 100% max settings on a dual core, BF3 remains to be seen.

Games are just as GPU bound today as they where 5 years ago. There are a couple notable exceptions to the rule but for the most part nothing has really changed.

I see a lot more CPU dependance in the games I play particularly in titles like SC2 as well as other online games like Rift. Sure, you can run acceptable rates with a C2D but I've seen a substantial difference since switching to a 2500K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back