Who's staying with skt 775?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arcturus

[H]ard|Gawd
Continue to find great deals on used skt 775 motherboards and DDR2 Ram. For new I'm still amazed the *lowest* priced, crappier skt 1366 boards (short of the occasional deals) are barely under $150, 2x to 3x more than many 775's.

Q9550's with assistance of a friend with a Microcenter nearby helps.

The upgrade fever for many certainly helps us bottom feeders :)

Edit: OMG I've been with [H] 10 yrs lol

I'm in the middle of upgrading from s775 to 1366, i7 930.

I honestly don't anticipate huge increases in performance but I do expect some.

I think the s775 is a great way to go especially with a nicely over clocked q9550 E0.

I'm upgrading for some performance but more so just for fun.

Considering that my mobo doesn't support the Q9550 (rev 1.0), definitely not staying with socket 775 long.

Yea mobos are really cheap (just bought a 25 AR one) but I duno where you are finding this cheap ddr2 ram ;p

I guess the high end ddr2 is reasonable in relative terms but the 800 & 1066 rated ddr2 is hard to find cheap

Pretty tired of my system, it's served me well for the past few years but it's just grown long in the tooth now. About to jump ship to 1156 with either a i3 530 or i5 750 and put down the ol' 775.

About the only thing you'll really see as an improvement from 775 to a 1156 or 1366 is that you should have more resources, be able to run more programs at once. Speed wise, I don't think I noticed much difference if at all going from a E8500 @ 4.0 ghz to a Core I7 3.8 ghz. And hyperthreading.... Forget about it, waste of power that sits idle 90% of the time unless you do video encoding...

I guess it is nice though to run Prime95 and still have no slow down to browse the internet or watch a movie.... :)

You are lucky that you can get Q9550 at good prices.

In Poland for the price Q9550 is selling i could get X6+low end mobo and the price on used Q9550 is same as on second hand i7 920.

Been running a P5Q and Q9650 for 1.5 years now that i bought mostly to see how far i could overclock it and have no intention of upgrading other than maybe to an unlocked i7 but only for the same overclocking fun. But most likely sticking with s775 for awhile.

Sticking with socket 775 for at least another year, maybe 2. I did buy another 4GB of memory though to help out with the long wait to the next upgrade. Currently running a Q6600 and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Except for a video card upgrade, I plan on keeping my current pc (in sig) for about another two years. Nothing out currently is a big enough upgrade considering how much it would cost to upgrade right now. Plus, I only game and Fold (I Fold on my GPU anyways) on my pc and right now my q9550 does just fine in every game I want to play.

I have a mix of stuff at home.
I have two Q6600s running and they work just fine.

My main gaming computer is a S1366 X58 though. Is it better, depends on how you define better.

I have a third S775 with an e7300 on a Gigabyte P965 that is about as solid as you could want. When I upgrade one of the Q6600s I plan on putting it in the Gigabyte.

I agree stuff is pretty cheap. I just bought a Rampage Formula for one of my Q6600s for just over $100.......the Ram has not gone down as far as I would like to see. Some DDR3 is as cheap or cheaper.

I moved from an Intel 965 board / e4500 to an AMD PII setup and unlocked to x4 earlier this year. Kept my 6GB DDR2-800.

Like $160 or so. And after selling CPU and motherboard it cost me like $40-$50. Back to AMD again for the bang/buck ratio ;)

My other computers are staying on 775 for quite some time, though.

Last edited:
My Q9650 at 4.4ghz already holds up very well against most i7's. The only upgrade I might consider is Sandy Bridge and only if the next Intel ICH comes with some goodies like 6g SATA, USB3.0, etc.

My Q9650 at 4.4ghz already holds up very well against most i7's. The only upgrade I might consider is Sandy Bridge and only if the next Intel ICH comes with some goodies like 6g SATA, USB3.0, etc.

What voltage and settings, etc..Prime stable? IBT?

What voltage and settings, etc..Prime stable? IBT?

I'm running 489x9 at 1.4v with LLC enabled, moderate voltage bump on the northbridge, etc. Don't recall all the other settings exactly as it's been like 6 months since I messed with any settings. It's Prime95 and IBT stable though IBT will send temps above 90C.

I have a few computers at home and beside my main rig (i7 920 + EVGA X58 SLI LE), all of them are LGA 775 which are sufficient for their purpose (HTPC, file server, kids and GF).

You can add me to the list. I'm not planning to upgrade (save for a video card upgrade) for, at least, 1 1/2 or 2 years.

Q9550 OC + 8GB DDR2 + Solid P965 MB + HD 5850 + SSD = Why upgrade?

Last edited:
Two criteria that have to be met- I'm not downgrading in RAM (16GB DDR2), and I'm not raising my power consumption (65 watt "S"-model quad). Until an upgrade like that is feasible and cost-effective, I'm staying put.

I actually don't get what an i7, outside of HT, can offer me over the Q6600. Hell, I downclock it for the summer to 2.8 and it still runs just about everything I can push it with well enough.

No reason to get a new Board, RAM and CPU... Likely a 700$ upgrade... for HT (that would sit idle, as stated above) and faster superpi scores.

I think I am good on 775 for at least another year. My rig runs great and might even try to squeeze a bit more out of my 9550. I may try out an SSD or a GPU upgrade, but really am quite happy with what I've got.

I am staying with my EVGA 680i until it dies. Everyone told me it would happen early, but so far so good.

Well, if I win the lottery I am switching to a 980X.

I am staying with my EVGA 680i until it dies. Everyone told me it would happen early, but so far so good.

Well, if I win the lottery I am switching to a 980X.

And youve got no reason to upgrade. Even in GTA4 and BC2...i notice essentially ZERO difference in gameplay between 4.2ghz and 3.0ghz (stock).

Q6600 = greatest processor of all time, and in turn 775 best skt.

technically I have a q6700 but I have it clocked at 3.6 just like the q6600 and only paid 110 bucks for it.

honestly I think I can get 4 more years out of it, As long as USB 3.0 stays slow to catch on, and PCI-e still powers the new video cards to come.

As games get more advanced they will start to utilize the core's better so the performance of an overclocked Q6600 is likely to hold for a long long time.

Q6600 = greatest processor of all time, and in turn 775 best skt.

technically I have a q6700 but I have it clocked at 3.6 just like the q6600 and only paid 110 bucks for it.

honestly I think I can get 4 more years out of it, As long as USB 3.0 stays slow to catch on, and PCI-e still powers the new video cards to come.

As games get more advanced they will start to utilize the core's better so the performance of an overclocked Q6600 is likely to hold for a long long time.

Even at 3.6ghz, i dont quite share the optimism. Thats like still using a 3.6ghz P4...in 2009.

I have two Socket 775 systems in addition to my main i7 rig. The CPUs on the 775 systems (Q9450 and E6750) are staying put - not because they don't need an upgrade, but because the prices on the 775 processors themselves are for the most part too expensive for the performance benefit.

As with two other posters here, I have a Q6600 that I don't plan on upgrading from anytime soon. I'm not the type to upgrade just cause I can, but rather when I see a need to. All the games of today have run on my machine perfectly fine so far. Once I start seeing games on the market that are taxing my machine more severely, then I'll consider upgrading.

Even at 3.6ghz, i dont quite share the optimism. Thats like still using a 3.6ghz P4...in 2009.

while you may be right in the long run, the comparison you used doesn't work so far because the q6600 was released in 2006 and is still good. while the P4 was outdated in about 2 years.

Also the primary bottle neck is not the hardware now its the software's utilization of the hardware.

q6600 for 8 years for me.

I've been using a bum Q6600 for like 3 years now. Since the G0 stepping came out.

I can never get it clocked higher than 3.2GHz despite voltage/FSB/multiplier so I'm stuck at 3GHz but with 8GB of RAM I'm probably not upgrading for a while

Yea mobos are really cheap (just bought a 25 AR one) but I duno where you are finding this cheap ddr2 ram ;p

I guess the high end ddr2 is reasonable in relative terms but the 800 & 1066 rated ddr2 is hard to find cheap
$60 for 4GB (2x2GB) of used
G.Skill F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ
. From a local seller thankfully itching to upgrade to i7.

I see the wife keeping her [email protected] for a while, just like I'll be stickin with my 1055t for a while (MB may get swapped though, a total turd..)

I plan on sticking with my e3110 until Sandy Bridge comes out. Gonna move it up to 3.6 or 3.8 and OC my gpu to get a little extra out of it. Next system will be a new monitor and all so gonna hold out as long as possible. The games I want to play all play great on my system now.

I upgraded my E8400 recently to a second hand 9550, and I'm very happy with it. Put a nice little OC on it and she can keep up with 480 pretty well. My trial run in Vantage got around 21,700 with the 480 at stock clocks, which I think is respectable.

I'm totally in the same boat as you ^. I think that the evolution of technology has far surpassed that of most consumer/enthusiasts' actual computational needs, while computers are now veering more and more into the supercomputer class.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-desktop-cpu-charts-update-1/Far-Cry-2-1.0.1,1401.html

Even an Athlon 2 X4 is faster then a Q6700 http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-desktop-cpu-charts-update-1/GTA-IV-1.0.3,1402.html

The Q6600= cpu limited.

People dont realize but the I7 920's are just that much more powerful, and thats at stock clocks.

Get a D0 core you should be able to get 3.8-4ghz on it, and there is no 775 platform that can touch that performance.

775 is EOL, and its slow compared to the I7

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-desktop-cpu-charts-update-1/Far-Cry-2-1.0.1,1401.html

Even an Athlon 2 X4 is faster then a Q6700 http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2009-desktop-cpu-charts-update-1/GTA-IV-1.0.3,1402.html

The Q6600= cpu limited.

People dont realize but the I7 920's are just that much more powerful, and thats at stock clocks.

Get a D0 core you should be able to get 3.8-4ghz on it, and there is no 775 platform that can touch that performance.

775 is EOL, and its slow compared to the I7

Yep you have that right this is all at stock clock; meaning it means nothing. Q6600 at 3.6 still completely bad ass and most CPU's can reach 3.6 easy.

I have two 775's and don't see disposing of them any time soon. I built a 1055t to play with and eventually take over the duties of my P5W64/e6600 machine. It will receive a 9550 to replace the aging cpu, but I don't see why I would need more as long as one workstation chews through my work load. I am more likely to add an SSD to the existing 6 core to increase the speed of my work machine. The two others will get used to surf and play old games. I am not too up on newer games so I don't think plunking down a large sum of money for a new system just to play would be advisable

At least that is what my wife tells me...

Yep you have that right this is all at stock clock; meaning it means nothing. Q6600 at 3.6 still completely bad ass and most CPU's can reach 3.6 easy.

And a athlon 2 X4 will be even more badass over your Q6600

So would a Phenom 2/3/4,

Or intels 930, which overclock to 3.8-4ghz easy

And the 930 at the same freq as a Q6600 will be that much faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back