Who's ready for Marvel vs Capcom 3?

Capcom finally announced DLC pricing on FB.
$5 per character for Jill or Shuma. Pack of 6 costumes will be $5.

They better do bulk packs on char DLC otherwise I won't be buying much of it. $5/2 char sounds fair. $5 a piece is a little hard to swallow.

[cue more hating even though you're not forced to buy it] :D

Hmmm, not many characters that I would be willing to pay $5 for. I'm sure they will be bundled or have a weekly sale eventually.

Capcom finally announced DLC pricing on FB.
$5 per character for Jill or Shuma. Pack of 6 costumes will be $5.

They better do bulk packs on char DLC otherwise I won't be buying much of it. $5/2 char sounds fair. $5 a piece is a little hard to swallow.

[cue more hating even though you're not forced to buy it] :D

LOL, what a joke. An extra $100 to bring the roster to the same total as MvC2, if they even release that many characters. It's absurd to charge 8.3% of the price of the game for a single character when the game price includes 30+ characters, all the stages, all effort put into developing the engine etc. You can buy Just Cause 2 on Steam and a cheeseburger for the cost of these two characters. Like I said earlier, I lost all respect for Capcom a long time ago. They went from a proud company to the scum of the industry with their DLC whoring, which they do to a degree bigger than pretty much any other company. The only ones worse than Capcom are the people who support this business model by paying for it. Those characters are on the disk and in the strategy guide. I remember the days when developers would give you their best effort in exchange for your $50, cramming as much as they could into games right up to the deadline. Now they sit around trying to figure out how to split the game up to collect as much over the MSRP as possible, as if $60 isn't enough.

Looks like the critics are in agreement, MVC3 is a huge step back for the franchise:

MVC2: 90.15% (overall rank: 319)
http://www.gamerankings.com/dreamcast/914427-marvel-vs-capcom-2/index.html

MVC3: 85.18% (overall rank: 1120)
http://www.gamerankings.com/xbox360/995376-marvel-vs-capcom-3-fate-of-two-worlds/index.html

What a joke company. Much more powerful hardware and they put out a worse game. I remember when they were the gods that helped make this happen:

steel-battalion-controller-2.jpg

These days? Mass market Kinect garbage:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/15/steel-battalion-heavy-armor-goes-button-free-on-kinect/

LOL, what a joke. An extra $100 to bring the roster to the same total as MvC2, if they even release that many characters. It's absurd to charge 8.3% of the price of the game for a single character when the game price includes 30+ characters, all the stages, all effort put into developing the engine etc. You can buy Just Cause 2 on Steam and a cheeseburger for the cost of these two characters. Like I said earlier, I lost all respect for Capcom a long time ago. They went from a proud company to the scum of the industry with their DLC whoring, which they do to a degree bigger than pretty much any other company. The only ones worse than Capcom are the people who support this business model by paying for it. Those characters are on the disk and in the strategy guide. I remember the days when developers would give you their best effort in exchange for your $50, cramming as much as they could into games right up to the deadline. Now they sit around trying to figure out how to split the game up to collect as much over the MSRP as possible, as if $60 isn't enough.

Looks like the critics are in agreement, MVC3 is a huge step back for the franchise:

Don't be silly. Since the characters are $5 each, and the game ships with 36 (?) characters, it means you're only paying $60 for almost $200 worth of characters! Thats like 70% off. We should be happy for this great deal.

Don't be silly. Since the characters are $5 each, and the game ships with 36 (?) characters, it means you're only paying $60 for almost $200 worth of characters! Thats like 70% off. We should be happy for this great deal.

Awesome! So that means I can buy the game for $60 and sell it to you for $130 and we'll each make $70 profit!

Well after 9 hours of non-stop playing here with six people. I can finally say what carpel tunnel syndrome feels like now, my hands are numb! Now is a perfect time for a food break!

Good lord this is a good game. There is very little to complain about at this moment other than phoenix is a cheap bitch.

The only thing I liked about the MvsC series was the HUGE char list. 36+DLC seems meh to me. I was really hoping for 36+ per side. It doesnt seem that hard too with the amount of crap you can cram on a BR disc. Also if they do some bullshit couple months down the road and try and sell those other 36 chars as DLC for more then the game cost Ill lose all hope in Capcom and the gaming industry.

This WILL happen. Everybody wants their old Marvel vs Capcom characters. God I hate DLC, but there is nothing you can do other than not playing the game.

I haven't seen anything besides Jill and Shuma-Gorath as DLC, as far as character DLC and that’s not even confirmed. Is there a link to justify all this crying and whining about Capcom releasing tons of characters? People did the same about SF4 and SSF4 and they have yet to.

I don't care if they come out with pink bunny outfits for every character. Costume packs never add or take away from the game. They are there just for the superfans that plan on putting 1000 hours into the game.

Also I don't get the whining over MvsC2 having more characters. No one can honestly say they used half of them. The game was so unbalanced only 20 were playable and even those couldn't handle the god tier characters.

Anyways I loved MvsC2. Now I love MvsC3. Shame people can't see it is the game we've been hoping for all these years.

MVC2: 90.15% (overall rank: 319)
http://www.gamerankings.com/dreamcast/914427-marvel-vs-capcom-2/index.html

MVC3: 85.18% (overall rank: 1120)
http://www.gamerankings.com/xbox360/995376-marvel-vs-capcom-3-fate-of-two-worlds/index.html

What a joke company. Much more powerful hardware and they put out a worse game. I remember when they were the gods that helped make this happen:

steel-battalion-controller-2.jpg

These days? Mass market Kinect garbage:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/15/steel-battalion-heavy-armor-goes-button-free-on-kinect/

DLC sucks, no question. The games still fun though.

Mr Mean said:
Well after 9 hours of non-stop playing here with six people. I can finally say what carpel tunnel syndrome feels like now, my hands are numb! Now is a perfect time for a food break!

Good lord this is a good game. There is very little to complain about at this moment other than phoenix is a cheap bitch.

Too much hating, not enough playing. I for one find it fun. If you want MvsC2... you can play it? Jeez.

I don't think saying MvsC3 should BE built up from MvsC2 is quite fair. It's a whole new game in my opinion. Treat it on the merits of a new game.

Capcom has definitely boarded the DLC-as-price-gouging bandwagon...it started with Resident Evil 5 and Street Fighter 4 both having content on the disc locked until an extra fee was paid, and they're continuing form because people are stupid enough to accept it.

It's gaming's equivalent of product downsizing - releasing less content for the same price.

What teams have you all been using? I have been using spiderman, wolverine, and akuma/ryu. Spiderman seems to be pretty good this time around, the web-swing can get around projectiles (and get close to start a combo).

I really like how the air combos work too.

Capcom has definitely boarded the DLC-as-price-gouging bandwagon...it started with Resident Evil 5 and Street Fighter 4 both having content on the disc locked until an extra fee was paid, and they're continuing form because people are stupid enough to accept it.

It's gaming's equivalent of product downsizing - releasing less content for the same price.

Capcom started this BS long before Resident Evil 5. How many versions of Resident Evil 1 are there? Don't even go into Street Fighter 2.

Yet I loved SF4 and SSF4. Only DLC i've seen are outfits. A cute hat hardly effects my enjoyment of the game.

Just call me confused about all the end times talk about Capcom releasing so much DLC that the game will cost more than a brand new car when we haven't even seen any DLC worth crying about.

What teams have you all been using?

Tried a few out last night, trying to mix 1 of my strong MvC2 characters with 2 new ones. So far have used Chun/X-23/Arthur and Storm/Thor/Deadpool. Thor is a BEAST. Until Zangief comes, Thor will definitely be a suitable substitute. ;) (probably even better because he has better offense than Zangief's ever had) It took me 3 playthroughs to unlock all 4 locked characters....fairly easy.

DLC bitching is beyond stale. Don't like it? Don't buy it. You're not being forced to. Using MvC2 as an arguing point for the roster continues to be ridiculous. Keep playing MvC2. No one forced you to buy the DLC just like no one's forcing you to buy MvC3. That's about the last thing I'll say about the whining of MvC3.

Some hackers found some Jill and Shuma data on the Ps3 version of the game and actually were able to hack it and use her (sorta) by replacing Viewtiful Joe's info with hers. Pics and deets However the data on the disc for both of them is reported as being incomplete/unfinished so before anyone says it, no, the DLC is not paying for something finished and locked complete on the disc.

Just call me confused about all the end times talk about Capcom releasing so much DLC that the game will cost more than a brand new car when we haven't even seen any DLC worth crying about.

+1 AMEN
Not only that, there's no info on DLC other than Jill and Shuma. Nothing else can be proven because nothing else has been announced for character DLC. No one knows how many there will be, what the prices will be in the future or if there will be bulk packs. But I'm sure that won't stop people from continuing to shout about the sky falling and going to tell the king. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Game is pretty fun, more fun than i was expecting. Deadpool is definitley my favorite character. I've been using Deadpool, captain america, and Haggar. Still messing around a lot, never played MVC2 much but i'm liking this a lot.

Has anyone's ps3 online been working? I tried a few times last night but couldn't get connected to a game.

I went online a few times last night.
Got my face handed to me pretty often, but I did finish my session with a win off a (Dante) Devil Trigger'd Jackpot DHC'd into (Felicia) Dancing Flash DHC'd into an (Amaterasu) Ookami Shuffle.
Lag was noticeable for the first few matches, but for the last hour, it seemed almost non-existent. Like most of my experienced playing networked fighters on PS3, results are a toss-up

I dont care if devs sell aesthetic items to those who care about that stuff but intentionally skimming a game to milk gamers later in buying functional stuff like new characters is BS

I'm working on learning Dante Spiderman and X-23, but I'm seriously having fun using Zero too. Wolverine is reminding me more of a MvsC1 wolverine.

I've had this for a day... the combinations are fun and the game seems fairly balanced...

I'm working on learning Dante Spiderman and X-23, but I'm seriously having fun using Zero too. Wolverine is reminding me more of a MvsC1 wolverine.

I've had this for a day... the combinations are fun and the game seems fairly balanced...

Way to easy to do combo on this imo so its kinda cheap

Not really knowing how the new game works - how are the grappling moves?
The original games were kind of like the SF Alpha games where you had to be right on top of someone for a grab (even a 360 grab), but isn't this one using the SF4 engine? In SF4 the old "suction" effect from SF2 came back. Is any of that in MvC?

Not really knowing how the new game works - how are the grappling moves?
The original games were kind of like the SF Alpha games where you had to be right on top of someone for a grab (even a 360 grab), but isn't this one using the SF4 engine? In SF4 the old "suction" effect from SF2 came back. Is any of that in MvC?

Assuming you're talking about command throws and not just regular throws (F/B+ATK)....

Thor (the only command throw char I've played with in 3 so far) does have farther reach (ie "suck") depending on what button you do his throw with. It's explained in a bit more detail in the guide specifically, but the gist of it is that if you use L with his command throw, the range is like 2 characters distance (?) I think, but if you use H you have to be right next to them.

I'm not sure of the full details on damage (ie if using L yields much less damage than H on that throw), but again that's the gist of it. With L it's a lot like 'giefs SPD/T.Hawk's choke slam grab area in ST; you can do it from a decent distance and still grab them. ;) You can definitely tick it.....throw out a jab (L) forcing block and then do the throw. It also seems like you can do a free command throw or super with Thor on a character coming in. Not sure if the AI is just stupid and doesn't defend it, but on Medium I've done this several times. Kill 1 character, get in position, and the minute the 2nd/3rd character on the other team jumps in, do the command throw or super throw. Seems inescapable but again it could just be non-defensive AI.

Out of the new characters I'd say Deadpool is my favorite just because he's got good game all over (offense, defense, specials), but I absolutely love Thor. He has some sick ground combos into launcher into air combo ending with dive special cancel into super tornado.

One thing I noticed last night, I can now agree with this sorta....I've seen some people say Gouki (Akuma) is too strong, I've seen some people say Phoenix is too weak. All I know is I did 1 combo, canceled into super fireball (no X-Factor) with him on Phoenix and it killed her. (this is with Phoenix @ full health) It was a simplistic combo too....nothing crazy, no OTG's, no assists. So either Akuma is too strong or Phoenix is weak as hell. (checks SRK wiki) Yeah, it's both. According to their wiki, Akuma is low health, high damage, and Phoenix has about half the health of the weakest characters in the game. [note to self - don't bother with Phoenix]

Last edited:
Does anyone know a good guide with tips (with actual movesets, not just people saying "do this special combo yada yada).

Also can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong with blocking? I can not block ONE single attack, I push back (in the opposite direction of the enemy) and it never does shit. Meanwhile people are always blocking about 80% of my moves and combo's.

I just need to figure out how to work on blocking, doing reverses, etc but I can't find a good helpful guide for that yet online, just a bunch of quick people saying to do hyber combo's, air combo's (without any actual key commands, which isn't helpful...).

Does anyone know a good guide with tips (with actual movesets, not just people saying "do this special combo yada yada).

How about both? :D
http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Marvel_vs_Capcom_3

Arguably the most organized info you're gonna find without spending $20 on the strategy guide (which is great BTW). ;)
Plenty of vids, game wide info, plus character breakdowns including moves, supers, other info and combos.

As for your blocking problem - hopefully you're not stand blocking sweeps or crouch blocking a high attack? Because neither of those works in those cases. Standing block guards against jump ins, crossups, and standing attacks but not sweeps. Crouch blocking guards against sweeps, low hits, and most (maybe all?) standing attacks but not jump ins or crossups.

i'm playing it and loving it. kinda sad that took out juggernut. OHHH ITS THE JUGGERNAUT BITCH! lol

Ugh I have somehow became the #1 guy in my apartment complex and everybody is copying my character setup! Three days later, my "friendly" group of six players has now jumped to eight players with three of the previous players just bought an XBOX 360 just for this game. Keep up the good work Capcom!

It feels like Marvel vs Capcom 2 all over again. But in a good way :)

I'm loving the game despite the changes. Yes its minus 20 characters and there aren't many extra modes but it feels smoother in terms of transitions with character moves.

The online play is butter smooth , pretty impressive to considering most fighting games have pretty awful online lag.

I do miss the extra characters and the selection is nice plus the characters I thought were weird choices are fleshed out and great fighters once you learn there move sets and understand what type of fighting class they fall into.

I wish it would come to the PC , something I've wanted for a while ... fucking Capcom.

I'm gonna keep it and practice. As long as you have friends to play it with I guess it doesn't really matter how changed it is , its fun all around.

Still if your on the fence because of the price than wait for it to drop and just play MvC2 for a little while longer.

I watched the game in action down in EB today...the visuals look really nice, much better than they look in some of the videos I've seen online.:confused:

I watched the game in action down in EB today...the visuals look really nice, much better than they look in some of the videos I've seen online.:confused:

Visually its very impressive. The animations are good and the supers are awesome. Its a game you have to experience in HD and in person to really see how the art design pays off.

Its a big leap in graphics from MvC2 and the art style is quite different as well. But I still love the classic look of the older games. Some people don't like the newer look but I think it looks fantastic.

The japanese really need to learn how to do online lobbies etc. If you fail to join you get booted back to the main multiplayer screen instead of the lobbies you were searching in.

Ugh. Game is fun, and lots of cheap people who just spam random crap.. but the lag is worse than ssfiv and on par with sfiv.

The japanese really need to learn how to do online lobbies etc. If you fail to join you get booted back to the main multiplayer screen instead of the lobbies you were searching in.

Ugh. Game is fun, and lots of cheap people who just spam random crap.. but the lag is worse than ssfiv and on par with sfiv.

Japanese games always suck complete cock when it comes to MP lobbys or functions in general. I mean what is it with them?

They are such a huge social culture that loves to share , so why does every MP game I play thats made in japan have massive fail MP functions?

MGS4 had the worst online setup ever , 2 logins , 2 passwords and everything was broken to hell. All of the Capcom fighting games have had horrible lobby set ups. In MvC3 you can't even watch matches if you aren't playing in the game , only observe health bars?? :confused:

Nintendo is about to release the 3DS and it will still ..even in 2011 require friend codes? WTF?

I can imagine a Japanese gamer booting up the 360 for the first time and checking out the Live features and pretty much dieing of shock concerning how the rest of the world handles MP functions online.

Japan I love you ..but fucking catch up to the entire rest of the world concerning online multiplayer , you guys fucking suck at it.

Japanese games always suck complete cock when it comes to MP lobbys or functions in general. I mean what is it with them?

They are such a huge social culture that loves to share , so why does every MP game I play thats made in japan have massive fail MP functions?

MGS4 had the worst online setup ever , 2 logins , 2 passwords and everything was broken to hell. All of the Capcom fighting games have had horrible lobby set ups. In MvC3 you can't even watch matches if you aren't playing in the game , only observe health bars?? :confused:

Nintendo is about to release the 3DS and it will still ..even in 2011 require friend codes? WTF?

I can imagine a Japanese gamer booting up the 360 for the first time and checking out the Live features and pretty much dieing of shock concerning how the rest of the world handles MP functions online.

Japan I love you ..but fucking catch up to the entire rest of the world concerning online multiplayer , you guys fucking suck at it.

Because they still have their social/competitive roots in arcades. Also, Japan's superior nework infrastructure, network speed and tiny relative land mass make online MP work much better for them. In Japan, XBL is the best thing since sliced bread. The mediocre netcode slapped on most games works WAYYYY better there than here.

Back