Who's ready for Marvel vs Capcom 3?

I was really excited when this was announced.....now I'm really meh. IMO the new MK looks far better.

Hell yeah I can't wait!
I'm building a new box for my joystick...just because. ;)
Hoping to get the SE next Tuesday (despite all preorder places other than Capcom's web store being sold out), but if all I can walk out of the store with is the regular one, I don't really care too much. Just barely can wait for the game period....

Great combo vid posted earlier today on SRK - somewhat of a franchise montage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyQf4Un9bKM

They're supposed to be unveiling more DLC character plans "before launch", I'm assuming within the next few days we'll hear more. I'm hoping it's not $5 a character although I'll admit I'd probably pay it if it was a decent character. I'd like to see --
-Street Fighter: Blanka, claw Vega, Cammy, Makoto, Remy
-X-Men: Cyclops, Sabretooth, Gambit, Lady Deathstrike, Bishop, Beast, Omega Red
-Darkstalkers: Jedah, Donovan, Bishamon, BB Hood
-Cyberbots: Jin

Some of those are from other Vs. titles obviously but I'm hoping they return. If I had to say 3 new ones I really really want to see - Jedah, claw Vega, Makoto. 3 returning? Cyclops, Cammy, Sabretooth.

Last edited:
I'm really surprised Cyclops isn't in the game and I bet he will be a dlc. I don't mind him not being in it though, I always hating fighting him in X-men Vs. Street Fighter. Him and Ryu were the perfect pair though since they both yelled their special moves (optic blast, hadouken) constantly, was always annoying.

I've been a C.Viper player since SFIV came out, so it was a no brainer once I found out Viper was in MvC3.

Watch this game be unbalance like Marvel vs Capcom 2. Where the top 10 EVO players will use the same 3 characters.

Never got into mvc2, but i'm pretty hype for this game. New start for everyone, so I'll be playing it.
Love sf4, so gotta support capcom with mvc3.

I was late to the party in SFIV so I plan to get this near launch.

Watch this game be unbalance like Marvel vs Capcom 2. Where the top 10 EVO players will use the same 3 characters.

Is anyone expecting it to be anything but?

Notsofastthere. ;)
TvC is fairly equal (other than Zero who is pretty much regarded as A++ if you try to rank tiers).
MvC3 from what I've seen in combo vids and (obviously) very early strat vids looks to be fairly balanced as well. You can look at it one of two ways depending on if you're "glass half empty" or "glass half full". Either everyone is broken so really no one is overpowered, or...the game is just fairly well balanced.

Obviously once the game comes out and people get to spend time in practice mode, things can change.....so far, other than Justin abusing Chun's Hakyaretskyaku...nothing in 3 screams "retread of MvC2" to me. 2 "God tier" really isn't anymore. Sentinel is slower and there's more delay in his moves now. Storm's ice storm has sick chip damage but she's not the queen of air typhoon anymore. Doom still has rocks but Strider isn't in the game (yet) and besides that assists work differently in 3 than they did in 2. (the window of calling an assist and the cooldown is not like it was in 2 which had basically no cooldown whatsoever). 3 will not be "assist beam assist beam assist beam" etc etc.

One more thing about 3+equality - two letters. SK. (Seth Killian)
Seth wasn't a part of Capcom when they made 2.
Seth DID help them balance HDR, and he got help when he did it (passed along abusable pointers to the devs to fix). That's why HDR is arguably the most balanced SF game to come out in 15+ years.
3 has Seth written all over it, he's been interviewed so many times lately he's starting to look like a zombie. I don't know what his "official" capacity of work in 3 is (yet) but he's supposedly the "fighting game mechanic" something or other. In any event ~ it sounds like Seth is really banking on 3 being a fighting game that will be highly respected and played for a long time....and not a joke of "play God tier or lose every time" like 2 was.

Actually, one more thing. I figured (like most people), 3 would be like 2. As soon as I saw some of the characters, I thought about similar characters in 2 and thought "they will suck". So far, that's been a wrong assumption. I figured Ameratsu is a dog, no way she's (? I believe it's a she) going to be any good. Wrong. I've seen some sick Ammy combos. MODOK. Big giant floating head with toothpick arms. "No way he does anything worthwhile." Wrong. I've even seen some nasty Spider-Man/Wolverine (ie combo character) stuff and in the past, those are weak characters who rack up combos but do shit for damage and fall easily to anyone higher tier. Doesn't look like that in 3 so far.

I guess I've just never taken this series that seriously so it being balanced or not doesn't matter to me. I've never seen it as a super technical frame counting VF / SF tournament class game. It's pure over the top seizure inducing silliness and that's what I love about it.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who don't agree with me, and that's fine, but to me it's just a good time; balanced be damned.

I was really excited when this was announced.....now I'm really meh. IMO the new MK looks far better.

I understand this is opinion based, but....How on earth did you form such an opinion!? MK looks like ass!

Notsofastthere. ;)
TvC is fairly equal (other than Zero who is pretty much regarded as A++ if you try to rank tiers).
MvC3 from what I've seen in combo vids and (obviously) very early strat vids looks to be fairly balanced as well. You can look at it one of two ways depending on if you're "glass half empty" or "glass half full". Either everyone is broken so really no one is overpowered, or...the game is just fairly well balanced.

Obviously once the game comes out and people get to spend time in practice mode, things can change.....so far, other than Justin abusing Chun's Hakyaretskyaku...nothing in 3 screams "retread of MvC2" to me. 2 "God tier" really isn't anymore. Sentinel is slower and there's more delay in his moves now. Storm's ice storm has sick chip damage but she's not the queen of air typhoon anymore. Doom still has rocks but Strider isn't in the game (yet) and besides that assists work differently in 3 than they did in 2. (the window of calling an assist and the cooldown is not like it was in 2 which had basically no cooldown whatsoever). 3 will not be "assist beam assist beam assist beam" etc etc.

One more thing about 3+equality - two letters. SK. (Seth Killian)
Seth wasn't a part of Capcom when they made 2.
Seth DID help them balance HDR, and he got help when he did it (passed along abusable pointers to the devs to fix). That's why HDR is arguably the most balanced SF game to come out in 15+ years.
3 has Seth written all over it, he's been interviewed so many times lately he's starting to look like a zombie. I don't know what his "official" capacity of work in 3 is (yet) but he's supposedly the "fighting game mechanic" something or other. In any event ~ it sounds like Seth is really banking on 3 being a fighting game that will be highly respected and played for a long time....and not a joke of "play God tier or lose every time" like 2 was.

Pretty much sums up why I have some confidence in this game. That and fucking Arthur!

phppWvsc0arthur.jpg

Last edited:
I understand this is opinion based, but....How on earth did you form such an opinion!? MK looks like ass!

lol

Quite easy, I'm personally sick of the versus series, it's too brash, too fast and often very messy. I used to play them constantly on my arcade cab....maybe that's the problem....I've done them to death.

I'm a big fan of the first 3 MK games so with the new title going back to it's roots I'm buzzing and I'm intrigued by the 3D. Define looks? Graphically or gameplay? Graphically it looks awesome, I like how they carried on the MK v DCU injuries/bloodletting and bruising during fighting over, and gameplay it's going back to its roots!! Albeit with some funky looking x-ray moves and optional tag team game mode.

Last edited:
lol

Quite easy, I'm personally sick of the versus series, it's too brash, too fast and often very messy. I used to play them constantly on my arcade cab....maybe that's the problem....I've done them to death.

I'm a big fan of the first 3 MK games so with the new title going back to it's roots I'm buzzing and I'm intrigued by the 3D. Define looks? Graphically or gameplay? Graphically it looks awesome, I like how they carried on the MK v DCU injuries/bloodletting and bruising during fighting over, and gameplay it's going back to its roots!! Albeit with some funky looking x-ray moves and optional tag team game mode.

I cant stand way the characters move. It doesn't look to have a very deep fighting mechanic which will prolly lead to a button mash fest. I realize that MvC3 will have it's fair share of mashing as well, but MK just looks like it encourages it.

They buffed the hell out of Felicia and no one will use her.
Time for a Catgirl RAMPAGE.

May try to mix it up with Tron Bonne and Morrigan in da squad.

Any game worthy of high level play for thousands of dollars will end up like that in the "big picture". Furthermore, please do not confuse this with the GODLIKE MVC2, this is TvC Side Game, sir. Nothing more, nothing less.

I guess I've just never taken this series that seriously so it being balanced or not doesn't matter to me. I've never seen it as a super technical frame counting VF / SF tournament class game. It's pure over the top seizure inducing silliness and that's what I love about it.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who don't agree with me, and that's fine, but to me it's just a good time; balanced be damned.

Again, with money on the line, people will count frames, see what is better than what, then abuse it to hell. Nature of the beast.

I never liked this series just because I've never cared for chain combos and interrupting move multiple move sequences. It just looks sloppy. Plus, once you've seen one air juggle, you've seen 'em all. I don't need 50 hit combos that are really just 5 moves. That stuff is "soooo 1998" for me.

Balance within fighting games is always a myth, though. In any game with high-level competition there are going to be some characters that are much better than others. Even if it boils down to an exploit, it's going to happen. I'd say that Super SF2 Turbo is the closest thing to a "balanced" fighting game, and that's because they ended up practically buffing the whole cast.

The only thing I liked about the MvsC series was the HUGE char list. 36+DLC seems meh to me. I was really hoping for 36+ per side. It doesnt seem that hard too with the amount of crap you can cram on a BR disc. Also if they do some bullshit couple months down the road and try and sell those other 36 chars as DLC for more then the game cost Ill lose all hope in Capcom and the gaming industry.

I never liked this series just because I've never cared for chain combos and interrupting move multiple move sequences. It just looks sloppy. Plus, once you've seen one air juggle, you've seen 'em all. I don't need 50 hit combos that are really just 5 moves. That stuff is "soooo 1998" for me.

I used to think being able to do "infinities" was the coolest thing ever... back when I was like 15 years old and even then I got bored of the novelty pretty quickly. Not trying to flame the game or those who like though, just not my cup of tea.

....and from what I've seen, the weapons are still intact also. [thumbs down]
MK quit being MK after UMK3 which was the pinnacle of the franchise IMHO.
I'll freely admit I had some fun with 4, but I hated DA which is why I haven't bothered with the series since. Dial-a-combos and 2 stances with a 3rd for weapons is not something I have any interest in.

I'm more interested in the fact that they're going to continue on with the video series after getting so many petitions to turn it into something more than a 5 minute video starring Michael Jai White. MK games are long dead to me.

Pretty much sums up why I have some confidence in this game. That and fucking Arthur!

phppWvsc0arthur.jpg

Watch them make him a joke character that can only take 2 hits and if you somehow do manage to win your opponent gets up, says it was a trap, and gets all their life back and makes you fight again.

Watch them make him a joke character that can only take 2 hits and if you somehow do manage to win your opponent gets up, says it was a trap, and gets all their life back and makes you fight again.

You must not have watched any Arthur vids have you. ;)
The guy is not very agile but he makes up for it with the ridiculous amount of projectiles he can throw and the gold super armor that gives those projectiles even more damage capabilities (making him a potential top tier character in the assist department if you power up to gold armor and then tag out ala the Juggernaut damage glitch in MvC2).

http://www.g4tv.com/videos/51127/Marvel-vs-Capcom-3-Character-Preview---Arthur/
As WormIII commented at SRK
Oh god I knew his projectiles did good damage but holy shit his power up mode damage, a single projectile did like 15% and the hit stun was insane, no wonder he has no mobility.

You can argue "well if he's your last char and you power up to gold armor then once the timer's gone he's in his skivvies and takes more damage", well you can nullify that by using X factor if you didn't use it earlier in the match (probably even become more powerful on damage dealt as well as reducing damage taken).

I'm telling you man, from what I've read/lurked at SRK, seen in vids etc. the fighting engine in 3 is going to be something special. ;) at first I wrote it off because it wasn't 2D sprites but the 3D coat of paint has grown on me and engine wise it may be the best Vs. title yet.

....and from what I've seen, the weapons are still intact also. [thumbs down]
MK quit being MK after UMK3 which was the pinnacle of the franchise IMHO.
I'll freely admit I had some fun with 4, but I hated DA which is why I haven't bothered with the series since. Dial-a-combos and 2 stances with a 3rd for weapons is not something I have any interest in.

I agree the later MK's were toss (bar MK v DCU, I seem to be one of the few that really liked that game) but I haven't seen an over abundance of weapons that wouldn't have been used it the original 2d games bar Sub Zero using a self made ice pick/axe thing. Haven't seen any hint of different stances either :confused:

This is why I'm looking forward to it, going back to the old style = win.

Like the tool that I am, I already pre-ordered the special edition :(

I hope I can still pick my dream team of Cyclopse, Cable and Wolverine.

Looking forward to this release....play MvC 2 a TON.

Also, where the F are people playing MvC (or any fighting game for that matter) for $1000s of dollars?

I know CS and other FPS have large tournies with cash prizes as well as SC2 (even though I can't find them). I thought Fighting games for cash went the way of the Arcades we used to know and love. MvC 2 was the last big fighting game to release as an actual arcade game that I can remember.

Like the tool that I am, I already pre-ordered the special edition :(

I'm hoping to get a copy of the SE; if I can't and yours is 360 I'll buy it off ya.
Cyclops is one of the most requested DLC char adds from what I've heard. (Strider is the other.) Don't know about Cable. Cable sorta wore out his welcome in 2, I don't know if he'll be in 3. At least not for awhile....I would think they'll release a lot of other people before Cable pops up.

Really disappointed with the lack of characters. Also really disappointed with the menu system, music, voiceovers...the game is a far far farrrrr cry from what the MvC series was.

If losing 20 characters from 2 is what it costs to gain a fighter (3) that has a roster of balanced characters - count me in, I'll take that loss. ;)

MvC2 was the first one in the series with a ridiculous cast # but let's be honest who could actually compete on a higher level with non-God tier characters? (ie Storm/Sent/Mag) You're not going to take Amingo/Iceman/Wolverine to that fight and come out on top. ;) Most matches of 2 consisted of 3 of any...what....8 characters? Storm/Sent/Mag/Doom/Strider/Cable/Blackheart? Other than some people trying to do rushdown with Ken/Cammy.

Besides they could add another 30 (or more) chars as DLC before all's said and done. We still don't know how much they'll be but I did see a comment on SRK that Seth said Jill+Shuma would not cost $10 together so the $5/char figure people are assuming might not end up being right. I still say we could see char packs or discounts; ie 5 SF chars (say Ken/Cammy/Makoto/Blanka/Vega for $9.99).

if they do some bullshit couple months down the road and try and sell those other 36 chars as DLC for more then the game cost Ill lose all hope in Capcom and the gaming industry.

I EXPECT that to happen. :(

If losing 20 characters from 2 is what it costs to gain a fighter (3) that has a roster of balanced characters - count me in, I'll take that loss. ;)

MvC2 was the first one in the series with a ridiculous cast # but let's be honest who could actually compete on a higher level with non-God tier characters? (ie Storm/Sent/Mag) You're not going to take Amingo/Iceman/Wolverine to that fight and come out on top. ;) Most matches of 2 consisted of 3 of any...what....8 characters? Storm/Sent/Mag/Doom/Strider/Cable/Blackheart? Other than some people trying to do rushdown with Ken/Cammy.

Besides they could add another 30 (or more) chars as DLC before all's said and done. We still don't know how much they'll be but I did see a comment on SRK that Seth said Jill+Shuma would not cost $10 together so the $5/char figure people are assuming might not end up being right. I still say we could see char packs or discounts; ie 5 SF chars (say Ken/Cammy/Makoto/Blanka/Vega for $9.99).

I'm expecting this to be $60 for the game and another $150+ for the DLC when all is said and done. That's bullshit.

Back