Who's planning to buy Zen?

Straight up! Are you buying a Zen?

• Total voters
Most of the focus is on the 8 core, but I feel like the success of Ryzen is really going to come down to the 4 and 6 core variants. If the performance is there, the 8 core is going to be expensive, but will still be outperformed at gaming by cheaper CPUs (which is to be expected, the 7700k beats the 6900k at most games). There's a reason why the top of Intels lineup isn't really that popular. They're expensive and have a very niche focus. The Ryzen 8 core will be no different. Expensive and niche in its use. Great for the people who need it, but most of us aren't hammering down 16 threads all day long. That's why the 7700k and 7600k are super popular. Excellent all around performers, best gaming performers, and they don't break the bank.

My slight worry right now is that all of the leaks seem to have clock speeds going *down* for the lower core variants. That's not great news for how well they're going to stand up against intels 4 cores. Hopefully the leaks are wrong there, or AMD is clocking low for power reasons and they have a lot of overclocking headroom.

Leaks are leaks and speculation is speculation, very curious to see how this ends up. I'm like 90% sure I'm going to end up with a 7700k, but it won't kill me a month to wait and see how this plays out.

I have a 2500k which used to clock above 5ghz under water. The poor thing can't reliably boot beyond 4.8, and it isn't stable for daily use (read, flash websites...) at anything above 4.5.

I honestly don't play games anymore. I need some new technology, such as NVMe, DDR4, dual NIC support etc... I don't need a ton of gaming power, and I have better things to spend money on these days.

If the chips use less power and beat my Sandy's old performance, I'll go Zen. I've loved everything Intel since Conroe, but the days of me running out to spend 500$ on a processor are long gone.

Your a wise and prudent man. We have worked hard for those few dollars we earn. I think you will find good value in these selections from AMD.

Most of the focus is on the 8 core, but I feel like the success of Ryzen is really going to come down to the 4 and 6 core variants. If the performance is there, the 8 core is going to be expensive, but will still be outperformed at gaming by cheaper CPUs (which is to be expected, the 7700k beats the 6900k at most games). There's a reason why the top of Intels lineup isn't really that popular. They're expensive and have a very niche focus. The Ryzen 8 core will be no different. Expensive and niche in its use. Great for the people who need it, but most of us aren't hammering down 16 threads all day long. That's why the 7700k and 7600k are super popular. Excellent all around performers, best gaming performers, and they don't break the bank.

My slight worry right now is that all of the leaks seem to have clock speeds going *down* for the lower core variants. That's not great news for how well they're going to stand up against intels 4 cores. Hopefully the leaks are wrong there, or AMD is clocking low for power reasons and they have a lot of overclocking headroom.

Leaks are leaks and speculation is speculation, very curious to see how this ends up. I'm like 90% sure I'm going to end up with a 7700k, but it won't kill me a month to wait and see how this plays out.

I have know way of knowing about the 4 core clock speeds but the whole idocy of the sku naming leads me to believe this is just another Fluff bs article from WCCFTech. They already have had 2 major falsehoods about Ryzen, I just find this article way below credible standards. We will have to wait for some edification from a better source.

I have know way of knowing about the 4 core clock speeds but the whole idocy of the sku naming leads me to believe this is just another Fluff bs article from WCCFTech. They already have had 2 major falsehoods about Ryzen, I just find this article way below credible standards. We will have to wait for some edification from a better source.

There is absolutely nothing to worry about anything WCCFtech posts in March we will get the details. Even if you knew the details before Ryzen hits the shop what good would it do ;) .

It wouldn't shock me if the 6 cores are lower clocked, as they may just be failed 8 cores. The 4 cores being lower clocked than the 8 cores just seems overwhelmingly odd to me.

It wouldn't shock me if the 6 cores are lower clocked, as they may just be failed 8 cores. The 4 cores being lower clocked than the 8 cores just seems overwhelmingly odd to me.

I doubt the reason for the rumored 6 core frequencies is any defect, my guess is the 6 cores are lower clocked to fit 65W TDP (25% less cores but 32% less TDP available). May be TDP targets with the 4 cores as well, but still suprising not to see higher clocked variant. I expect some SKU are designed around OEM request and not peak performance.

You'r e assuming the clockspeeds from this fraudulent report are valid. I think you all are deluding yourselves. Since the naming schemes are bogus why would you think there is any truth to the clock speeds. Once a liar lies they lose all credibility

I doubt the reason for the rumored 6 core frequencies is any defect, my guess is the 6 cores are lower clocked to fit 65W TDP (25% less cores but 32% less TDP available). May be TDP targets with the 4 cores as well, but still suprising not to see higher clocked variant. I expect some SKU are designed around OEM request and not peak performance.

Honestly scared of platform bugs, as it is a whole new architecture. Even Skylake had bugs, esp the notebook side which had TONs.

Sorry to burst your bubble here but in no way shape or form did AMD show Integer and Floating Point benchmarks close to Intel performance on equal amount of cores with Bulldozer
The one benchmark AMD has shown this far is in comparison to a 5th generation (Haswell) Core i7.
Intel's improvements between the 5th and current, 7th, generation lies in the handling of multiple threads.

Most of the focus is on the 8 core, but I feel like the success of Ryzen is really going to come down to the 4 and 6 core variants. ...
I totally agree! For gamers a better single thread performance is more important than having more cores available.

I'm currently using an 8320 95w and the power draw is insane for how clunky it feels. The core optimization is poor, especially in games. I'm hoping the 1400x or one of the quad cores will be worth upgrading too (and 30w lower under load by factory, like 60w lower by my own estimates.)

I was leaning towards Zen or Broadwell-E but now I'm not so sure.

I still can't decide if I should go with higher clocked 4c/8t CPUs or go for a couple more cores at the expense of clock speed. For my use (games, htpc, email/web) a 4c/8t CPU would be the best choice right now but what about 2-3 years down the road. Maybe the extra cores would have made more sense.

Go for cores...

Those of us who opted for cores have had a much longer life to our boxes.

Go for cores...

Those of us who opted for cores have had a much longer life to our boxes.

Yes this ... I am still using Sandy Bridge 3930K to great success. I am going to replace it with top of the line 8c Zen once it goes live and Kyle puts a good review on it. A bad review and I will just keep banging away with my 3930K for a few more years.

More cores and more clock speed would be ideal.

After all these years I don't feel like I should have to settle for the same or less clock speed just to get more cores. I would like to move beyond quad core if possible. One of the reasons Broadwell-E hasn't really bowled me over is the low clock speeds. My 3570K is a 3.8 and based solely on clock speed is roughly equal to a much newer six core CPU. Pretty lame honestly.

If there are good mITX boards at launch then Ryzen is definitely in the mix for my new build. But if there aren't any suitable boards then I'll have to go Intel. I need to get my build done within the next month at the latest, so I really hope the board side of things doesn't let me down (and that Ryzen is as good as we hope it is).

swear that someone is going to buy the Ryzen 3 1200X or whatever because it's cheaper than what Intel is offering then after assembling the computer realizes that there's no video.

After that, he's going to write nasty reviews because something is obviously wrong with the motherboard/processor.

Back