Who's planning to buy Zen?

Straight up! Are you buying a Zen?

• Total voters
With the Kaby Lake leaks showing that its a huge DUD. This is AMD's chance to really hit the ground running. Will hey? Who knows, but they have a REALLY Good chance too.

It's only a dud when compared to SL on the desktop. In mobile it's actually pretty nice and it appears Intel still thinks mobile rules the roost. I hope Zen is a decent cpu so Intel won't continue to focus solely on mobile crap.

Im getting excited as there are two days until AMD has it's big event to unveil the chip officially supposedly.

I am on track for picking up a 8 or even a 16 core this Jan or whenever pending the price isn't too bad.

Will Zen on AM4 have more than 28 PCIe lanes?

I certainly hope so. With the low end Haswell-E and Broadwell chips, I believe they are limited to somewhere in the 25 PCIe lanes range. The next chips up from those have 40.

Im getting excited as there are two days until AMD has it's big event to unveil the chip officially supposedly.

I am on track for picking up a 8 or even a 16 core this Jan or whenever pending the price isn't too bad.

Do you need that many cores?

Just want to help a corporation that doesn't care one whit about you....got it.

Just like every person that buys an Intel processor beyond what they need. Also, why should need come into play when someone wants to buy something for their own personal use?

Edit: Or, hey look, it's the internet where everyone thinks they know what is best for everyone else.

Definitely planning to pick up an 8 core, assuming the product doesn't suck.

A strong AMD means competition and competition means consumers win.

Will Zen on AM4 have more than 28 PCIe lanes?

No. Here is the platform. The chipset provides 4, 6 and 8 PCIe 2.0 lanes as well.

AMD-Summit-Ridge-1.jpg

AMD-FM3-Bristol-Ridge-Architecture-Diagram-840x364.jpg

They could have been talking about their server platform. There is way more pins on that one..

I'm going to hold off and see what Zen can do first.

I don't necessarily need a CPU upgrade since my current setup is getting the job done adequately, but my plan is to transition to a next gen GPU, then determine which CPU upgrade path gives the best bang for the buck (regardless of brand) when Zen has been out for around six months.

Update:
With the dismal results of Kaby Lake, my previous statement stands: I'm going to wait about six months after Zen is released and, whichever manufacturer delivers the best overall performance increase over my i7-3770K within my budget (not sure that will be yet) while remaining power and heat efficient, will get my money.

Good luck, AMD...we need you.

Last week or so AMD stock was about $8.5. It's at $10.61 now. I would have to say the chip is not going to fail, but rather be pretty darn good. After Tuesday is over I am curious what the stock will be then.

AMD stock was down to $2 a share. I wish I had bought a grand worth then. :(

Last week or so AMD stock was about $8.5. It's at $10.61 now. I would have to say the chip is not going to fail, but rather be pretty darn good. After Tuesday is over I am curious what the stock will be then.

You cant base the stock on that. Look at the stock up to Bulldozer launch.

I'm a poor guy, so I only got $200 worth when it was at $2.50. Perhaps it will end up financing a Zen build :)

I'm a poor guy, so I only got $200 worth when it was at $2.50. Perhaps it will end up financing a Zen build

I wanted to get a few thousand shares but it ended up being very bad timing (two major house items needed replaced this summer) and I missed low price. I am not one to chase a stock up so I stayed away and went with a safer investment.

I could have sworn officially they have said you could run 2 GPUs at x16 (i.e. 32 lanes for just the gpus).

Yeah he is stuck on the Fm3 pic from benchlife..

http://wccftech.com/amd-x370-chipset-am4-summit-ridge-processors/

AMD X370 For Enthusiast AM4 Motherboards:
First up, we have X370, a high-end chipset for overclockers and tweakers who need robust platforms. This chip provides the ultimate low-level control to its users and delivers ultimate graphics card bandwidth. By bandwidth, AMD is referring to max PCI-Express lanes as this is the only chip in the stack that supports multi-GPU functionality. The chipset supports both, CFX (CrossFire) and SLI.
AMD has mentioned two full x16 (Gen3) lanes for GPUs. AIBs can add additional lanes through a PLX chip but that would add to the cost. X370 features full overclocking support with a very sophisticated GUI that will allow the best overclock tools and experiences. Since all AM4 CPUs have an unlocked multiplier, record breakers will definitely put X370 boards to the test on liquid and LN2 setups.

Only if it's a reasonable upgrade from my 2500k and not priced through the goddamn roof like most of intel's products these days. I almost bit on a recently slew of decently priced 6700k(s), but I decided to see what they have to offer in hopes of driving prices even lower. If I had to bet on history, it'd be against AMD, but they've made a lot of positive progress as of late and I love a good underdog story(along with affordable components).

Only if it's a reasonable upgrade from my 2500k and not priced through the goddamn roof like most of intel's products these days. I almost bit on a recently slew of decently priced 6700k(s), but I decided to see what they have to offer in hopes of driving prices even lower. If I had to bet on history, it'd be against AMD, but they've made a lot of positive progress as of late and I love a good underdog story(along with affordable components).

I love it when people personify businesses. AMD isn't some virtuous underdog facing an evil giant. The fact is that there are plenty of affordable Intel CPUs and plenty of them with stratospheric prices. AMD would charge you $1,700+ for their top end processor if they thought anyone would buy it. The original FX series CPUs cost just as much as the Pentium 4 Extreme Edition CPUs did. I don't hate exotic sports cars just because I can't afford to buy one.

I love it when people personify businesses. AMD isn't some virtuous underdog facing an evil giant. The fact is that there are plenty of affordable Intel CPUs and plenty of them with stratospheric prices. AMD would charge you $1,700+ for their top end processor if they thought anyone would buy it. The original FX series CPUs cost just as much as the Pentium 4 Extreme Edition CPUs did. I don't hate exotic sports cars just because I can't afford to buy one.

AMD is the plucky underdog fighting the huge Intel/Nvidia behemoth! The evil team green/blue only wants to crush you, kick your puppy and steal your lunch money. Team red on the other hand, really cares about YOU as a person. They only want your happiness, world peace and free cookies for everyone! If you don't agree, you're clearly a shill for the bad guys.

Haha who said virtuous, are all underdogs virtuous? I don't give a shit if they're ruthless or not, business is business, I hope they have some fangs or they'll wind up dead in the water. All I meant was that they've been getting their asses handed to them for quite some time, they don't even compete with Intel currently(as we all know). Yeah, I'm aware they'd charge certain prices if the demand was there, anyone in business would do exactly that. Your analogy is somewhat good, but it also is a bit off as well. The 7700k is basically the same old damn model for 350 dollars, people wouldn't buy any new car for a premium if they just kept making the same one with very small iteration (unless it's a god damn porsche). That and the consumer base for exotic cars and a reasonably priced quad-core chip is a bit different. The more compelling reason your analogy is a little flat, is that there's a ton auto manufacturers who've been in direct competition for generations, I don't have to name them, it's common knowledge. If Intel made the only race cars, they could charge 10x the amount for them, hell, in this analogy, they may as well be the only auto manufacturer, unless you want to buy a busted ass AMD ford focus from 2011. I'm still willing to pay a premium, but I"m also a man of reason. You know they can get away with less margin on these chips and still make a fat profit. Even if I'm just talking out my ass and you're completely right, I just want competition like any sane consumer would want in any given market. I don't root one way or the other, I just don't root for oligopolies who decide to set prices whatever way they see fit because no one is there to compete with them and force prices down.

AMD is the plucky underdog fighting the huge Intel/Nvidia behemoth! The evil team green/blue only wants to crush you, kick your puppy and steal your lunch money. Team red on the other hand, really cares about YOU as a person. They only want your happiness, world peace and free cookies for everyone! If you don't agree, you're clearly a shill for the bad guys.

Nice post, really, concise and to the point? I guess there's too much fanboyism in the world today for anyone to read something and not assert their own bias into the premise. People are weird man, who gives half a shit what company you buy from as long as it's the best for you. If you're fine with being raked over the coals because there's no competition then more power to you, but I think you're not thinking clearly if you don't think healthy competition is vital to consumers. I should choose some arbitrary company to foist up and propagate so I can be a fan boy. There's only one Banana, and it's Dole banana's. Del Monte had a shit crop this past season and I'll never buy Del Monte Bananas again, I get full with Dole. T

Dont tell me your counter is wccftech :D

It is not a counter you post irrelevant information all the time. There is nothing that is released by AMD that would hold true to FM3 so far you will get different designations different from when FM3 was still on the table thus far there are 3 different ranges in features let alone different features between AIB.per segment there is nothing set in stone until they release their versions of X370 B350 and A320.

Nice post, really, concise and to the point? I guess there's too much fanboyism in the world today for anyone to read something and not assert their own bias into the premise. People are weird man, who gives half a shit what company you buy from as long as it's the best for you. If you're fine with being raked over the coals because there's no competition then more power to you, but I think you're not thinking clearly if you don't think healthy competition is vital to consumers. I should choose some arbitrary company to foist up and propagate so I can be a fan boy. There's only one Banana, and it's Dole banana's. Del Monte had a shit crop this past season and I'll never buy Del Monte Bananas again, I get full with Dole. T

That's nice but who cares, as long as the banana bread tastes good. :D Any idea when the live stream begins?

It is not a counter you post irrelevant information all the time. There is nothing that is released by AMD that would hold true to FM3 so far you will get different designations different from when FM3 was still on the table thus far there are 3 different ranges in features let alone different features between AIB.per segment there is nothing set in stone until they release their versions of X370 B350 and A320.

The Bristol Ridge FM3 layout including chipset information was spot on. Only change was FM3 renamed to AM4.

I want one, but I just built a new high end system last year with a 6700k

X370 board, PCB only. Its a single x16 3.0 here. And very limited I/O. Looks to be 3 x1 and 1 x4 PCIe 2.0.

oifngigvpd3y.jpg

I've been wanting to go back to AMD for such a long time just support an underdog but really haven't been able to give up that much performance. If Zen hits and real world benches match up to these early previews I'll glad go red again. I still miss my old Venice core Athlon 64! xD

It won't hurt to wait a bit longer after waiting for so long for AMD to produce something as good as the Phenom II.

There could well be defects/flaws in the initial Zen release fixed by later revisions so it might not pay to be an early adopter.

We're just now starting to see certain software which has SE 4.1/4.2 as a mandatory requirement - it looks like I've finally come to the end of the road.

My ancient 955 is the earlier C2 revision with the wonky memory controller and a AM3 board so I've nowhere to go there! ='(

Given how CPU speeds seem to hit a bit of a wall...an 8 core / 16 threaded model should be able to provide many years of service.

It'll be quite exciting to see this level of improvement:
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-vs-AMD-Phenom-II-X4-955/3502vs2935

It'll be a bit like when I replaced an old Pentium 4 for the Phenom 955 making SupCom playable =D

My main hope is that these boards with support 128GB of RAM. Constantly running virtual machines in my lab so a pair of these would be a lot more power efficient and quieter than the Opteron 6376 beasts I have now.

It won't hurt to wait a bit longer after waiting for so long for AMD to produce something as good as the Phenom II.

There could well be defects/flaws in the initial Zen release fixed by later revisions so it might not pay to be an early adopter.

We're just now starting to see certain software which has SE 4.1/4.2 as a mandatory requirement - it looks like I've finally come to the end of the road.

My ancient 955 is the earlier C2 revision with the wonky memory controller and a AM3 board so I've nowhere to go there! ='(

Given how CPU speeds seem to hit a bit of a wall...an 8 core / 16 threaded model should be able to provide many years of service.

It'll be quite exciting to see this level of improvement:
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-vs-AMD-Phenom-II-X4-955/3502vs2935

It'll be a bit like when I replaced an old Pentium 4 for the Phenom 955 making SupCom playable =D

I'm hoping it's as good as it looks. I've ridden the AMD crest going from the Athlon 750, to AthlonXP 1600, to x64 3000, to x2 3800 to my current and long in the tooth phenom II 955BE. Now I'm ready for an upgrade and it appears AMD have a winner, but I'll wait until they start trickling out in the wild to see if they really can match Intel. The most I can do with my am3 board is a 1090T, so it's time for a full overhaul. An 8c/16t should be good for another 5 years they way things are currently moving unless this somehow kicks off a cpu war - but without software to drive it, I don't see it happening.

Last edited:
Back